The Outer Worlds

WELCOME TO THE FUTURE. TRY NOT TO BREAK IT

The Outer Worlds is a new single-player first-person sci-fi RPG from Obsidian Entertainment and Private Division. Lost in transit while on a colonist ship bound for the furthest edge of the galaxy, you awake decades later only to find yourself in the midst of a deep conspiracy threatening to destroy the Halcyon colony. As you explore the furthest reaches of space and encounter various factions, all vying for power, the character you decide to become will determine how this player-driven story unfolds. In the corporate equation for the colony, you are the unplanned variable

The reveal of Obsidian Entertainment’s The Outer Worlds was a highlight of the The Game Awards 2018. The studio has built up a solid reputation over the years for crafting creative and engrossing narrative-heavy RPGs, and if nothing else, The Outer Worlds shows many signs of being directly inspired by recent entries in the Fallout series, one of which–New Vegas–was developed by Obsidian less than a decade ago. The Outer Worlds is also the brainchild of Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky, two creatives with a storied history in PC gaming. Their most notable chapter by far? When they and a small band of collaborators created the original Fallout in the mid ‘90s. But after following up with Fallout 2, they’ve had to watch while Bethesda took the series in its own direction–despite being at Obsidian now, neither Cain nor Boyarsky were working there at the time of New Vegas’ development.

Official Launch Trailer:

Unlike the Fallout games, The Outer Worlds is more of a Space Western—think Firefly —though it still has the wit and charm of the best of the Fallout franchise. I’m also getting a bit of a Borderlands vibe, probably because that’s also a humorous Space Western, though it’s more of a loot-and-shoot than an RPG.

14 Minutes of The Outer Worlds Gameplay:

There is no official release date for The Outer Worlds yet, but a late-2019 release seems possible. The game trailer also indicates that the game will release on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC.

8 Likes

HYPE!!! :smiley:

3 Likes

Want!

(10 chars)

1 Like

I made the mistake of watching the gameplay trailer. I am there day 1. Holy shit this looks good.

4 Likes

They couldn’t have chosen a better time to announce this game. Love that jab at Bethesda in the trailer as well.

3 Likes

This is the vibe I was getting. I’m almost tempted to break my new rule of not pre-ordering games. But I shall endure!

2 Likes

Friends don’t let friends pre-order games

3 Likes

Gimme? I like the look of this

2 Likes

preorder

5 Likes

I dont preorder ever again

2 Likes

A must play for me.

3 Likes

The game look amazing! And I’m a big fan of Obsidian. But yes, I won’t preorder. :slight_smile:

1 Like

For completeness, the Steam Store page is now up:

No more info on release date (other than “2019”) and no price indication yet. And no mention of any pre-order bonuses for those who, despite the assurances, may still be tempted by the promise of a small discount and a handful of cosmetics :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you’re gonna go physical you can pre-order from BT. You don’t have to pay anything when pre-ordering from them and you have 7 days to pick up your game once it releases before your pre-order expires. That way you can still decide not to get the game (why would you in this case :p) and you also still get all the goodies if you do take it. I worked at BT for just under 9 years and this was very common. Lots of people would pre-order games and then not pick it up if the game didn’t review well.

1 Like
2 Likes

I’m so glad that there are still studios making proper single player games. I mean the Outer Worlds look amazing.

3 Likes

I honestly can’t wait for this one
But once again it shall go onto the wish list :smiley:

2 Likes

Yeah I already told my account sharing buddy this is a must. If I don’t have money he’ll have to buy it for us alone.

The Epic game store 1 year exclusivity has dampened my enthusiam a bit

2 Likes

Its fine you have so many unplayed or unfinish games to keep you busy for that year.

2 Likes