The Outer Worlds

Yeah, it’s a little frustrating that 3 games I’ve been watching since last year all went Epic exclusive after the fact (Satisfactory, Rebel Galaxy Outlaw, and this one.)

Although, this article suggests that “PC Gamer has learned that The Outer Worlds will also release on the Microsoft Store”. Not that the MS Store is necessarily a better option than the EGS, but I’ll be much happier using my credit card on it than on Epic. Anything I do possibly decide to buy from Epic will definitely be through PayPal.

Also interesting note in that article about “Quantic Dream’s previous PlayStation-exclusive trio of Detroit: Become Human, Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls are also coming to the PC for the first time, exclusively to Epic Store.”. We spoke about that possibility earlier this year (Quantic Dream is Going Multiplatform) and now it seems our wishes are coming true. Just with the “exclusive to Epic Store” issue.

2 Likes

I would rather use Epic than Microsoft Store. I learnt from the Forza games that Microsoft store can’t even handle pausing a game download.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s not the most user friendly and efficient store experience. I’ll still take the downloading issues over “your card has been used to make purchases from alibaba.cn” option though.

Guess I will just have to stay on the neither route then

1 Like

I’ve got no problem using the Epic store. In my opinion it’s a good thing that Steam is getting some big competition.

4 Likes

13 posts were split to a new topic: Why do people hate the Epic Game Store

To update my previous “For Completeness” post: Here’s the games sales page on the Epic Game Store:

The original Steam page is still live, only now with the original 2019 release date change to 2020:

And finally, it’s worth noting that Obsidian Entertainment has XBox Game Studios (aka Microsoft Studios) as its parent. We will also have the option of a Windows Store purchase eventually (no store page there yet though). Much like Ubisofts’ Division 2, I don’t think even the many pennies might of Epic could manage absolute PC Exclusivity for The Outer Worlds.

In my Utopian view of the near future, Obsidian/MS/XB will announce at E3 that the game will release as a Play Anywhere title on XBox Game Pass, with Phil Spencer ending the keynote with an “Oh, and one last thing… it’s available right now!” :crossed_fingers: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Was looking forward to this. Sadly it went epic which means a skip from me.

So much for Epic’s exclusivity on PC deal… with the game coming to Game Pass for Xbox and Win10 on release, and it being available for pre-order/purchase on the Windows Store at the same price, I really don’t see anyone getting it from the Epic Store now.

4 Likes

Jip thanx to MS this is back as one of my must have games for the next year along with BG3,Cyberpunk & Bloodlines.

1 Like

This is kind of funny, how MS turned this around. About a year or 2 nobody would touch the WIndows Store with a 10 foot pole. Now Epic makes them look good!

Granted, MS has turned this around in a BIG way!

3 Likes

Well, MS has a philosophy that you should be able to by the games from the store of your choice. They are not openly declaring war on Steam or any other store. They just want a location for gamers to buy games. Bells and whistles included.

3 Likes

Unless they want the developer to receive a bigger cut of the sales I guess.

2 Likes

Confirmed for Switch. One day when I buy it that will be the version I buy.

4 Likes

New info from the recent press-only gameplay session:

What you need to know

• The Outer Worlds is an upcoming first-person shooter from Obsidian Entertainment.
  • The game is coming to Xbox One, PC, Nintendo Switch, and PlayStation 4.
  • The title is being published by Private Division because the deal was made before Microsoft acquired the team.
  • The Outer Worlds is part of Xbox Game Pass.
3 Likes

Please stahp! I cannot keep up, so many great games coming up, Doom Eternal, Ghost Recon Breakpoint (ffs, can I please remember its Breakpoint and not Breakthrough, I keep confusing the 2) and even CoD Modern Warfare.
But I think I will be getting this, looks great and they have my money when they said Obsidian. Another game sort of similar, Atomic Heart, is also on my “keep and eye on list”.

4 Likes

They had mine when they said “coming to Game Pass” :joy:

4 Likes

It’s almost time… in 10 days time The Outer Worlds releases. And it’s coming to both Game Pass for Console and Game Pass for PC on release too.

In earlier than usual fashion, a “preload” for the game is already available - although I don’t think it does much more than put a download token onto your machine so that when the game files are available things should automagically download for you so that you’re ready to go on the 25th.

Preload for Xbox:

Preload for PC:

(Not sure if the same applies to the PlayStation version?)

While you’re waiting, take some insight into character creation, and start planning yours:

2 Likes

I noticed this when i downloaded sea of thieves a while back and also found it kind of weird that i could already preload it. But yes, i’m excited!

1 Like

So excited for this, and that trailer is amazing!

2 Likes