The (un)official VPN thread

There are several important differences between proxies and VPNs that should be noted.

Most importantly is that most Web proxies operate on Layer 7 and by design actually sees the exact request that’s sent from your browser to the destination website. Unlike a VPN, your proxy connection isn’t encrypted. It just acts as an intermediary between your computer and the final server. As a result, an HTTP proxy will hide your identity from the website but won’t secure any sensitive data. A SOCKS5 proxy works like HTTP or web proxies, but you can connect it to other applications, not just your web browser.

A SOCKS5 proxy operates on Layer 5, so it’s “more secure” than a HTTP Proxy, but requires application level support.

The other major thing to keep in mind is that your DNS requests made by your browser will not travel via the proxy, this will be sent directly from your computer via it’s configured default gateway to the configured DNS servers. Commonly referred to as a DNS leak.

What is a DNS leak and why should I care?

When using an anonymity or privacy service, it is extremely important that all traffic originating from your computer is routed through the anonymity network. If any traffic leaks outside of the secure connection to the network, any adversary monitoring your traffic will be able to log your activity.

DNS or the domain name system is used to translate domain names such as www.privacyinternational.org into numerical IP addresses e.g. 123.123.123.123 which are required to route packets of data on the Internet. Whenever your computer needs to contact a server on the Internet, such as when you enter a URL into your browser, your computer contacts a DNS server and requests the IP address. Most Internet service providers assign their customers a DNS server which they control and use for logging and recording your Internet activities.

Under certain conditions, even when connected to the anonymity network, the operating system will continue to use its default DNS servers instead of the anonymous DNS servers assigned to your computer by the anonymity network. DNS leaks are a major privacy threat since the anonymity network may be providing a false sense of security while private data is leaking.

The major difference with VPNs when compared to a Proxy is that a VPN encrypts the data before sending it to through the tunnel to the remote computer. Only after the data has been sent through to the client does it decrypt the data for other programs to use. So not only is your identity hidden from the website or service you visit, your ISP, or even the network doesn’t know what data you’re loading either. All they can see is that you’re loading encrypted data from a VPN.

When it comes to security and privacy, a proxy server is no match for a properly configured VPN service.

2 Likes

mainly use vpn for netflix and some social media

3 Likes

Hey, welcome to MEW @darui8!

3 Likes

So quick question, with these VPN services, can you switch on demand or do you have to choose a location during registration?

1 Like

A lot offer you to switch on demand. I don’t actually know of one that locks you into a region upon registration.

1 Like

Cool, thanks. Let me have a look at them.

1 Like

Surfshark gives a nice app for desktop and mobile that you can favourite regions and switch on demand. It’s really handy.

3 Likes

I’ll start a trial next weekend and see if what I want to do will work since my reason for maybe getting one only starts next week.
I’m pretty much looking between Surfshark and Pure VPN.

1 Like

Its why I like Windscribe as well, it comes with a lovely app for phone/tablet/pc and you can change region on the fly.

Same with Surfshark… it even works on my Android TV boxes. And it was dirt cheap at just under R1000 for 27 months of sub.

1 Like

Completely ignorant about these things, so some “duh, newb!” questions please:

1. For an average household consumer internet user, are the main benefits of these off-the-shelf type services, that my real IP address gets hidden, and that I’ll be able to watch SNL clips on YouTube without being told they’re not available in my region? (or accessing or region specific services like some have mentioned for Disney+, etc.)
  2. Are these services run on the router? Or is it a case of installing an app and a bunch of browser extensions/plugins on every device I want to use the VPN service?
  3. How are local internet services/sites affected, if at all? If I want to connect to the local server that @Slinx has set up for Assetto Corsa, and I’m using the VPN, is my connection going via the VPN destination and my ping to the server going to hell? Or is it a case of only using the VPN when you want to do something like in #1, manually connecting and disconnecting it each time?

Please and thank you.

2 Likes
  1. Yes, it’s purely for consumer use and accessing restricted content. I’m using it exclusively for Disney+ at the moment.
  2. Yes and no. You can install an app on each device (no browser extension necessary) or download a VPN profile to install on your router - IF your router supports it. Check the VPN’s FAQ to confirm. I went for the app-per-device approach, as I can decide which devices need access to it or not.
  3. No real impact that I’ve experienced. A speedtest reveals almost halving my 100 Mbps line, but I seldom experience any slowdowns or increased latency. I just activate or deactivate it as necessary and sometimes forget when it’s on.
4 Likes

SurfShark at $59.76 for 24 months sound okay? Works out to around R910 for 2 years.

1 Like

That’s what I took. IIRC they give you 3 months extra as well for a total of 27 months… That’s what I got when I signed up in Jan.

2 Likes

Found this a little interesting, and you what, the more you know the better…

3 Likes

So I been keeping an eye on some of the VPN specials and been wondering, while I don’t know a whole heap about these kind of services, do you get a fixed IP address that you can put into your router or how do you set up these services?

1 Like

Check @FarligOpptreden’s reply to my second question a couple of posts up in the thread. :arrow_up:

Aah thanks, don’t know how or why I missed that.

@FarligOpptreden - as per point no. 2. If you get a VPN profile and put it into the router, does this come in the form of an IP address?

I ask, cos obviously devices like the consoles won’t be able to have an extension or app installed.

2 Likes

I can only speak about Surfshark, where you get VPN profile files to install on your router. Then all devices connected to that router should get the benefit of IP hiding. Remember the VPN is in essence just a gateway forwarding your traffic so the host doesn’t recognize your location. So if the source of your traffic is from the router, then all traffic through that router are obscured.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification, makes sense.

Of course you can only speak from SurfShark, I completely get that and appreciate your input. Does the region you select then get managed through a web portal?

1 Like