The Witcher: A New Saga Begins šŸ‰

The Witcher: A New Saga Begins

We [CD Projekt RED] are happy to announce that the next installment in The Witcher series of video games is currently in development, kicking off a new saga for the franchise.

Just announced today, on various channels. (Hereā€™s one. And another. And a third!)

Two other significant points in the announcement:

1. Development of the new game will move from REDengine to Unreal Engine 5.
  2. CDPR are beginning a ā€œmulti-year strategic partnershipā€ with Epic Games.

No details about the actual game, development time frame, or release date were made. And I have a feeling there wonā€™t be any more news or teases until right at the end of development. And then only if CDPR are happy with the results. The Cyberpunk 2077 release fiasco is still freshā€¦

thewitcher.com | A New Saga Begins
Iā€™m going to call it Witcher 4 until we know betterā€¦

3 Likes

Jason Slama, the current Game Director for Gwent, will helm the new project. And is looking to fill ā€œtons of open roles with the possibility of remote workā€ - go get a Witcher 4 credit to add to your CV!

Also good news on the Epic exclusivity worries:

4 Likes

Ha, I was going to question the exclusivity. Then you posted good news.

4 Likes

Iā€™m VERY excited for this, but know itā€™s probably a good 3-4 years away.

4 Likes

Same, it will be worth the wait, maybe by then the GPU prices will be more affordable for an upgrade.

3 Likes

Canā€™t wait for this! I hope the next gen patch for W3 is not too far off either.

4 Likes

I really liked the Red Engine used in Witcher, but given what is possible with Unreal 5, Iā€™m optimistic. The Matrix Awakenings was awesome.
Justā€¦ donā€™t make it first person perspective (that was my only issue with Cyberpunk).

3 Likes

I didnā€™t actually mind it. I never really enjoyed the Deus Ex games (shocking, I know), but somehow Cyberpunk 2077 resonates with me. Iā€™m around 60 hours into the game and chasing down every piece of side content I can before completing the main story. I canā€™t really imagine it from a third person perspective.

Even if they do end up making the new Witcher game a first person RPG (ala Skyrim), I wouldnā€™t mind. It affords artists the ability to make more detailed environments without having to be constrained by ceiling height for a floating camera. This means more intimate dungeons and building interiors stuffed with debris, furniture and decorations. It really does up the immersion factor. Itā€™ll also make a VR mod (or hopefully baked in version) more feasible.

1 Like

Cyberpunk wasnā€™t bad. In fact, it is one of the few games that did FPS well. But I still maintain that the game would have been even better had it been in 3rd person.

1 Like

Looking forward to this.
Personally I also prefer third person. I like to see my character.

1 Like

I see that the new Witcher game could be focusing on a new school.

https://screenrant.com/new-witcher-game-saga-lynx-school-cat-ciri/

3 Likes