This is Discourse---should we keep it?

I like the default setting where it shows the latest stuff first in one long feed. I preferred that view on MyG as well. And on Tapatalk.

I’m coming in very late, so excuse me if this is considered necro-posting. I just had to say I really love this forum software. I’ve been poking around a bit and it’s really awesome.

If you ever have some spare time, give the framework a try. I had to work in it last year for a contracting job. At first I thought the Ruby language itself looked too much like VB and I didn’t like the MVC way of coding, but it’s actually a very powerful framework. If it wasn’t for the MVC stuff, I’d rank it as my favorite framework to code in. There’s also always a demand for RoR devs, so it’s never a bad thing to have on your CV. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

RoR only really has appeal in the international scene - the local community (and demand) is really, really small. In the past 4 years of gaining a lot of exposure to a lot of clients with a wide range of requirements, RoR has only surfaced twice and in both cases the clients wanted a team to migrate their code to a more popular (and widely used) language and framework.

I spent a week on a pet project in RoR and kinda echo @Solitude’s opinion. The strong focus on the Active Record pattern in RoR kinda put me off as well, as you end up colluding business logic with data access and make it very difficult to migrate to alternative storage options in time. I’m not a huge fan of implementing fixed, scaffolding-focused frameworks like Rails and (puke) Grails that are very opinionated and offer immense scaling and abstraction challenges. I understand they’re good for quickly getting small or simple apps off the ground, but the moment you start dealing with complex enterprise applications (or even consumer mobile apps integrating with 3 or more environments) an approach like DDD (domain driven design) is a better fit with no fixed, one-size-fits-all framework available for it.

3 Likes