Today Is... 📆

:wave: Good morning! :sunny:

It is Wednesday, 1 September 2021
(W35 | D244 | 121 rem)

Today is: :star: World Letter Writing Day :writing_hand:

We’ve had days for the implements of writing in Pen Day, days celebrating the art of Hand Writing and Calligraphy. Today we combine them all into World Letter Writing Day.

For hundreds of years communication took place through just a couple of ways, you either sat down and had a conversation with someone or you wrote your thoughts and feelings down on a letter and had it delivered to them by courier. The nature of letters made them incredibly intimate, as each carried the indelible mark of its creator.

Everything from the subtle scents of your home and perfume, to snippings from your garden could be included in a mailed letter. Digital media just doesn’t quite carry the same personal level as this old method, and Letter Writing Day is your opportunity to remember the wonders of the hand-written word.

Letter Writing Day is all about paying tribute to the age-old form of communication; letter writing. It also helps you to think before you write. With modern connection forms, we don’t tend to reflect and think before we communicate with someone. However, a letter gives you the perfect opportunity to do this.

World Letter Writing Day was established by Richard Simpkin as a tribute to the joy and excitement he felt when a hand-written letter would arrive in his mailbox. His appreciation of the hand-written word came about as a result of a project he was working on called “Australian Legends”, he would send out letters to everyone he considered to be an Australian Legend with the interest of arranging a personal interview and photography session. There was just something amazing about receiving a letter with the legends own personal touch to it, and it certainly doesn’t hurt that while hand-written letters are collectible, digital communication certainly is not.

Get out the pen and paper and start writing! Picking who to write too can often be the hardest thing, but you should select an old friend or family member of any age. For the young it can be novel for them to receive a written personal letter, it’s just something that isn’t done anymore and through doing so you can share with them that unique and personal experience that is receiving a written letter from a loved one. If saved, it’s something you can hold on to long past the time they fade from this earth, and you can’t hold a digital email.

Another option is to write a letter to your future self. This is something that a lot of people like to do. You can write about what your favorite things are at the moment, as well as describing what life is like now. The letter can be stored somewhere safe so that you can open it in the future when a number of years have passed by. You could even give it to a friend and instruct that they do not give it to you until you have reached a certain age.

Or, you may want to do the opposite, and write a letter to your pest self instead, reminding you of the lessons you have learned so far?

Write on! :writing_hand::+1::grinning:

Know More:

http://www.worldletterwritingday.com/

3 Likes

But please. PLEASE don’t mail it through SAPO.

3 Likes

It is Thursday, 2 September 2021
(W35 | D245 | 120 rem)

Today is: :star: V-J Day

Following the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Emperor Hirohito announced Japan’s acceptance to the Potsdam Declaration and surrendered on 15th August 1945, effectively marking the end of World War II. However, the official surrender ceremony did not occur until over two weeks later, and thus President Truman marked 2nd September as the official V-J Day.

It is estimated that anywhere from 60 to 80 million people died during World War II, on all sides of the conflict. V-J Day should be seen as not only the celebration of the defeat of the tyrannical Japanese government of the time, but also the remembrance of those who lost their lives.

There are a number of different ways that people refer to V-J Day. This includes V-P Day, Victory in the Pacific Day, and Victory over Japan Day. No matter how people refer to this day, what matters is that it is the day on which Imperial Japan surrendered in the Second World War, marking the end of the war.

Interestingly, there are really three different dates that can be considered the date of surrender. The first is the 15th of August in 1945, which is when the announcement of Japan’s surrender was made. However, in some parts of the world, including the United States, this was actually the 14th of August in 1945 because of the time differences.

As mentioned, there is also the date that the official document of surrender was signed, which was the 2nd of September in 1945. This is when the Second World War was officially ended.

Because of this, V-J Day is celebrated on different dates throughout the world. While the official US commemoration occurs on the 2nd of September. In the United Kingdom, for example, they actually celebrate V-J Day on the 15th of August.

In order to understand the history of V-J Day, we need to delve deeper into the history of the war and the events that happened in the build-up to this date. On both the 6th and the 9th of August, in 1945, the United States dropped atomic bombs on both Nagasaki and Hiroshima. The Soviet Union also declared war on Japan on the 9th of August as well. A day later, on the 10th of August, the government in Japan communicated that it intended to surrender under the Potsdam Declaration terms.

It was six days later, on the 15th of August, a little bit after noon Japan Standard Time, that it was announced that Japan had accepted the Potsdam Declaration. Emperor Hirohito made the announcement over the radio to the people of Japan. Once the declaration had been signed, the celebrations across the world really ramped up.

Enola Gay. :+1::grinning:

Know More:

4 Likes

It is Friday, 3 September 2021
(W35 | D246 | 119 rem)

Today is: :star: Skyscraper Day :cityscape:

The construction of tall buildings has become so commonplace in cities around the globe that the general public gives little thought to the visionaries responsible for creating a city’s unique skyline. Skyscraper Day provides the opportunity to learn more about the architects who commit a dream to paper and the construction crews that make it reality.

Whoever it was that first considered placing dwellings on top of each other instead of side-by-side would be astounded at how modern buildings literally seem to touch the sky.

What they may also find interesting is the status that is often attached to living or working at the highest levels.

The 3rd of September wasn’t just picked at random as the day to celebrate skyscrapers. It happens to be the birthday of John H. Sullivan, the architect who coined the phrase “form (ever) follows function” and is considered the “father of skyscrapers.”

Skyscrapers have become pretty commonplace in modern times, and National Skyscraper Day is our golden opportunity to appreciate these architectural marvels and feats of engineering.

Skyscrapers grace our big cities with their bold presence and define our skylines with mighty buildings that literally seem to scrape the sky. But skyscrapers have only been around for about 130 years. The world’s first skyscraper was completed in 1885 in Chicago and it stood only 138 feet tall, a mere 10 stories that would not even count as a skyscraper today.

But the name stuck, and initially any building that towered high over the surrounding structures was dubbed a skyscraper. Over time, our ability to engineer and construct skyscrapers improved drastically, and now a building must have at least 40 floors to be classified as a skyscraper at all.

In crowded urban areas where land space is at a premium, skyscrapers allow us to build upwards rather than outwards, converting a single allotment of land area into 40 or more floors of potential living space.

Rise to great heights this Friday! :+1::grinning:

Know More:

4 Likes

Good thing I’m not in charge of picking dates for these things, I would have made this 8 days later.

3 Likes

It is Saturday, 4 September 2021
(W35 | D247 | 118 rem)

Today is: :star: World Beard Day :bearded_person:

World Beard Day is celebrated annually on an international level with people from every nation and continent gathering together with their beards. It is held on the first Saturday of September and is characterised by the happiness of all people being with their beards and with each other.

On World Beard Day, it is customary for the bearded members of a family to relax and partake in no jobs or chores. The beardless members of the family traditionally show their support by waiting on the bearded hand and foot.

World Beard Day is all about promoting and elevating the global status of the the beard. Whilst many countries and cities practice World Beard Day customs specific to their own region, shaving on World Beard Day is universally considered to be highly disrespectful.

WHAT TO DO ON WORLD BEARD DAY

If you are hosting a World Beard Day event, here’s a helpful list of things you can do to make this the greatest World Beard Day ever…

Break bread with your bearded brethren
What World Beard Day would be complete without a mouthwatering array of beard friendly foods? Popular options include…

– Braais
– Hot dogs
– Vindaloo
– Vodka
– Fondue

Have a fire
If local laws permit, build a fire (or if you prefer have some beardless people build you a fire), then sit around the fire and enjoy having a beard and living in a golden age of beardedness.

Change a Tyre
Grab a bearded mate or two, flatten a car’s tyre, then enjoy the satisfaction of changing it using your extensive life skills.

World Beard Day Games and Events
World Beard Day events often feature various games and events. Feel free to create your own event, or choose from any of the following customary World Beard Day games…

– All-bearded human pyramid (current record 22)
– Cleanchin darts (Just stick a picture of your least favourite beardless individual onto the dart board and throw darts at his face).
– Vodka
– World Beard Day Pinata (fill a paper mache beardless guy with treats, hang him from a tree, give the guy with the biggest beard a club and tell him to get clubbin’!)
– Effigy Burning. Make a simple effigy of a beardless guy and celebrate beards by burning him to the ground.
– Pin-the-beard-on-the-guy (by far the easiest, least-challenging World Beard Day game – no blindfold required.)
– Dungeons and Dragons

Have a Sing
Break out the vodka, band together and sing along to your favourite beard-related songs.

WBD League Sports
Play your favourite sports the way sports were meant to be played: Bearded vs. Non-Bearded, with the beardless team heavily handicapped (feel free to create your own handicaps for the beardless team or “losing team”). Popular choices include…

– The losing team has fewer players.
– The losing team is made up entirely of children.
– The referees / umpires are all members of the bearded team (winning team).
– The losing team or selected members of the losing team are blind folded, bound and gagged.

WORLD BEARD DAY FACTS

– In southern Spain, many townships gather to witness a boxing match between a bearded man and a beardless boy. The bearded man, normally armed with a sharp pike, is typically the victor.

– In the Swedish village of Dönskborg, anyone without a beard is banished from the town and forced to spend twenty-four hours in a nearby forest. Back in the town, the hirsute burn effigies of their clean-chinned loved ones.

– The exact origins of World Beard Day are unknown, but there is some evidence to suggest that Danish Vikings had a special day dedicated to the glorification of beards as far back as 800 AD. The event was not held on a fixed date, and was often celebrated hundreds of times each year. This early incarnation of what would one day become World Beard Day typically involved the ransacking of neighbouring towns, villages and countries by large groups of heavily-armed bearded men.

– Throughout the world, bearded communities are encouraged to acknowledge this sacred day by organising and staging their own public or private World Beard Day celebrations. These can consist of anything from a relaxing family lunch to a lavish, tax payer-funded street parade.

– Shaving on World Beard Day is universally considered to be highly disrespectful.

Praise the beard! Honour the beard! Respect the beard! :bearded_person: :+1::grinning:

Know More:

https://worldbeardday.com

https://twitter.com/worldbeardday

https://www.iol.co.za/lifestyle/style-beauty/men/world-beard-day-how-to-take-care-of-your-beard

4 Likes

In the words on one of the greatest 19th Century preachers:

spurgeon beard

2 Likes

Ah yes. The day of my people.

Can’t help but think of David Mitchell here.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed that vodka and fire seem to feature quite prominently in WBD activities. With my short stubble I should be fine, but those with fuller beards might need to keep an extinguisher handy. :smiley:

2 Likes

Where the freak am I supposed to get a bottle of vodka on the weekend during lockdown level 3? :frowning:

Gotta stick with wine I guess.

And since I should be relaxing and not doing any chores, who wants to put some posts in the ground for my shade netting today?

2 Likes

It is Sunday, 5 September 2021
(W35 | D248 | 117 rem)

Today is: :star: International Day of Charity

Every year, charities all over the world help to save and improve people’s lives, fighting disease, protecting children, and giving hope to many thousands of people.

Charity is vital, as it enables us to reach out to wider parts of society, assisting those who need our help the most. This is why the International Day of Charity is so important. It raises awareness about charity and why it is important to help those who are in need.

International Day of Charity serves to increase and enhance social responsibility across the entire world, increasing our support for charitable causes and bringing everyone together in solidarity. This day presents you with a great opportunity to get involved in the charity events that are going on around the world.

The United Nations created this date, and so they have a very big role to play when it comes to the charitable efforts that are going on around the world, especially on this date.

The UN invites all member states, as well as various companies and organizations and individuals to celebrate this date by doing anything they can to contribute their charity efforts. The UN encourages activities that raise awareness, driving education, and charity donations in a way of pushing just how critical charity is.

To honour the important work that these many charities do, in 2012 the United Nations decided to nominate an annual International Day of Charity as an official day of recognition and celebration. The reason the date was chosen is because it is the anniversary of the death of Mother Teresa of Calcutta.

This choice commemorates the tireless work that Mother Teresa did by devoting her whole life to charity work. To celebrate this special day every year, the work of different charities all over the word is publicised and celebrated, and people are encouraged to donate money and time, to carry out charitable works, and also to educate people and raise awareness about the many charitable issues worldwide. Education and giving are the essence of this special day.

On International Day of Charity, it is worth taking a look at the different charities in your local area, as well as your preferred worldwide charities to see if they have any events that are going on. If they don’t, you could take it upon yourself to organize a charity event. Fundraising events are always welcomed. All you need is an idea that everyone can get involved in. It does not need to be complicated. This is why bake sales and fun runs work so well.

Of course, you don’t need to organize an event to fundraise; there are plenty of other ways to do this. For example, you could decide to take on a challenge, such as a skydive, and raise donations for this, or you may decide to sell a certain craft or product and donate some of the proceeds to charity.

Be kind! :+1::grinning:

Know More:

4 Likes

Excellent. Time for a shameless plug!

As most of you know, I’m a volunteer. My visa is up for renewal, along with a bunch of other expenses coming up soon.

A bunch of you are already helping make labels for my hot sauce that goes towards supporting the work I’m doing here, and keeping me fed, so thanks for that!

If anyone wants to support me and the work I’m doing financially, whether contributing to the upcoming expenses, or committing to a monthly donation, please send me a DM and I can provide more details.

Thanks for your consideration.

/shamelessplug

3 Likes

Pitch harder dude, in case there’s eyes that see this, but don’t know!

Wish I could help. If I could, I would. Any MEWbs out there with corporate social responsibility or church/mosque connections that may be looking for a new cause to support?

4 Likes

Thanks for the encouragement.

I’m certainly not the most comfortable asking for support.

I’ve mostly been living off savings and a settlement since I started volunteering in 2007. Over the past 4 or 5 years, it’s all but dried up. I’ve never been without a meal on the table, and am very thankful for that, but it hasn’t always been the healthiest of food.

My current role is doing IT for a Christian non-profit, which is now decentralized, and providing a platform for communications and collaboration. The organization itself is train the trainer style, with the main focus being to create communities where children are welcome. We do courses, for example, on how to walk with children who have been harmed or wounded in any way.

As it stands now, I need to pay for my visa renewal, all the costs involved with the paperwork needed for such, car repairs, license renewals, petrol, healthy foods, and my ice hockey fees and new jerseys.

I hope to raise R3000 a month from people willing to make a commitment to do so, but also to raise a bunch of once-off donations to help cover the immediate costs, and make sure I have enough stashed away in savings to prove to Home Affairs that I have the means to stay here, as they want 3 months of bank statements with the visa application.

Edit: Oh ya, and since this is a gaming forum, my PSN expires in 2 days

5 Likes

It is Monday, 6 September 2021
(W36 | D249 | 116 rem)

Today is: :star: Read a Book Day :open_book:

For some people, reading is their ultimate form of relaxation and fun! For others, reading can seem like a bit of a chore. No matter what category you fall into, you’re encouraged to embrace Read a Book Day.

Usually, it is simply about finding the right book for you. From memoirs to sci-fi; there are so many different types of books out there today, so use Read a Book Day to find the perfect book for you to really get stuck into. Read on to discover everything that you need to know about Read a Book Day and the different ways that you can celebrate this date.

Read a Book Day is the perfect day to get lost in a good book. You are encouraged to get your head down and get lost in a story, whether fact or fictional. It is also a great day for encouraging others to read books and raising awareness about them. After all, there are many different benefits that are associated with reading. This includes the fact that it can lower stress, as well as improving concentration and memory.

Studies have shown that adults who spend time reading tend to take part in activities over their lifetime that are more mentally stimulating when compared with those who don’t, as well as showing a slower cognitive decline. Plus, books are an inexpensive way of learning more about the world and having fun.

There are so many reasons why we recommend reading a book, not only on Read a Book Day, but whenever you find time out of your bust schedule to do so. Reading a book gives you the chance to sit in your favorite chair and enjoy some peace and quiet after all. Plus, if you are one of those people that love quotes, you are going to find plenty of good ones when reading a book.

You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
Paul Sweeney

Other reasons why we recommend reading books is because most movies out there are based on novels, which often tend to be better than the films. After all, there is only so much that you can cram into a couple of hours on screen, whereas a book is going to enable you to delve deeper into the journey. Plus, books aren’t only about reading great tales.

There are a lot of books out there that can change your perspective on life and help you to live life to the fullest. You will be surprised by how much a book like this can change your outlook and bring a lot of good to your existence.

The first celebration of Read a Book Day was around the end of the first decade of the 2000s and was almost certainly the idea of a librarian, probably one who was encouraging youngsters to read a book.

On Read a Book Day, it’s not compulsory to read a whole book but the day serves as inspiration to people to read a section of a book they particularly enjoyed, to read with children, to donate a book to a children’s school library, or to host a book reading party.

Although the day was probably thought of with print books in mind, e-books are equally suitable for celebrating Read a Book Day. The main goal is to encourage reading, as both fiction and non-fiction books open up huge unknown vistas to enquiring minds.

Taking the opportunity to enjoy some time out of the day to relax and read is good for the soul and the mind.

Get your read on, and have a great Monday! :open_book::+1::grinning:

5 Likes

Ok ossim, I finished 1 book at 1 am this morning and started the next one in the series at 1:05 and halfway done. I am exhausted

2 Likes

:wave: Good morning! :cloud_with_rain:

It is Tuesday, 7 September 2021
(W36 | D250 | 115 rem)

Today is: :star: World Duchenne Awareness Day

One of the best ways we can help to fight diseases and to ensure that people get speedy diagnoses and efficient treatments is to help boost the awareness of them.

The more people know about different diseases and health conditions, then the more likely they will be to get medical help and treatment before it’s too late. This is why World Duchenne Awareness Day is so important to the sufferers of Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy.

This day takes place annually and always has a different focus. For instance, the day was recently themed around standards of care. So, not only is it helping to raise the public’s awareness of Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy on the whole, but this yearly focus helps to put an aspect of the condition and its treatment in the spotlight.

As part of World Duchenne Awareness Day, one of the main aims is to help educate the parents and families of children with the illness. They can then improve their knowledge of the disease and ensure that they provide the best care possible.

Even though World Duchenne Awareness Day has only been going since 2014, it has since made a huge impact and helped to improve the lives of thousands of people who have the condition.

Since its inception, the day is now celebrated around the world thanks to the support of many global charities. In fact, the day has become such a big deal that it is now under the patronage of the European Union Parliament and has also been supported by Pope Francis.

Whether you are a patient, supporting relative, or have no connection to Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, there will certainly be plenty of ways you can support this important day. One of the easiest ways to get involved is on social media.

Lots of people with a connection to Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy like to use this annual day as an excuse to do some fundraising. Why not get involved as well? There are many great ways you can help to raise money for a charity. If you love to bake, you could make some cakes and sweet treats and organize a bake sale.

Alternatively, you could get sponsorship for doing a challenge, such as running a marathon or taking part in a skydive. For some other ways to raise money, you might want to contact a charity to see what they suggest. If you have time to spare and live close to a charity’s HQ, you could even volunteer with them!

Raise awareness, give support, be strong! :+1::grinning:

Know More:

http://www.mdsa.org.za/

3 Likes

:wave: Good morning! :cloud_with_rain:

It is Wednesday, 8 September 2021
(W36 | D251 | 114 rem)

Today is: :star: Star Trek Day :vulcan_salute:

On September 8, 1966, Star Trek graced television screens for the first time with “The Man Trap,” the pilot episode of Star Trek: The Original Series. On that day, Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry introduced audiences to a world that championed diversity, inclusion, acceptance and hope.

“I haven’t faced death. I’ve cheated death. I’ve tricked my way out of death and patted myself on the back for my ingenuity; I know nothing.”

James T. Kirk, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Long ago, in the depths of the cold war, America had a prophet arrive. He spoke not of religious texts and damnation, but instead provided us with a vision of the future so hope-filled, so compelling, that it has indelibly marked the imaginations of man-kind ever since. Star Trek Day celebrates that vision, and the man who created it, Gene Roddenberry.

To today’s audiences, the original Star Trek series can seem hackneyed, corny, and even incredibly racist when viewed through the modern lens. To view it in this way overlooks the incredible strides that were made during it’s production, and how unthinkable some of the elements found within were. Consider if you will, Lieutenant Pavel Andreievich Chekov, a officer of Russian descent serving on board an American starship. In the days of the ‘Red Communist Threat’ this concept was inconceivable, but Gene dreamed of a day where it would be possible.

Then there was Lieutenant Nyota Uhura, who stood out not only by being a female officer on the deck of a naval vessel (since all starships are considered part of the Navy) but by being of African-American descent. Both of these elements created an incredible story for her, her position as fourth in command of the USS Enterprise not undermined by her position as a glorified telephone operator.

Star Trek speaks of a hope-filled future where our nationality no longer matters, and yet each of our personal heritages is still something we can be proud of. We are all citizens of the same universe, and at the end of the day that’s all that matters.

The best and easiest way to celebrate Star Trek Day is simply taking the time to marathon the original series. Take care on the first episode, it is easily rated as one of the most spooky and unnerving of all episodes, and Spock is to blame. They hadn’t established that Vulcan’s lacked emotion at that point, so there’s a shocking surprise for those unfamiliar with the episode. Put together some themed snacks and pull your old uniforms out of the closet, no better way to get in the spirit of Star Trek Day!

Live long and prosper! :vulcan_salute::+1::grinning:

Know More:

CC @Beo :vulcan_salute::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

1 Like

:wave: Good morning! :partly_sunny:

It is Thursday, 9 September 2021
(W36 | D252 | 113 rem)

Today is: :star: Teddy Bear Day🧸

The teddy bear is one of the most popular toys for children, and holds a special place in many adults hearts, too. This lovable stuffed animal has a day all of its own, Teddy Bear Day. It gives a chance for people to get teddy out of the cupboard and make him the center of attention.

The American toy bears were named Teddy, in honor of President Theodore Roosevelt, who had refused to shoot a small captured bear on a hunting trip. Many teddy bears have become famous over the years, including Paddington Bear, Rupert Bear, Pudsey Bear and, of course, Winnie the Pooh.

Teddy Bear Day has been created so that we have a specific date whereby we can pay tribute to one of our favorite childhood toys. Most people reading this will have fond memories of playing with a teddy bear when we were younger. In fact, some of you reading this may even have your favorite childhood teddy bear today. It may be tattered and even missing an eye or some stuffing, but it will be the most precious teddy bear in the world to you!

On this date, we pay tribute to this amazing childhood toy, which has stood the test of time. It does not matter what new crazes or toys come onto the market, they will never surpass the global popularity that the teddy bear has attained. With every decade that passes by, we still see children clutching onto their teddy bears, and it is a beautiful sight to behold.

This is because our teddy bear is usually the first friend that we have. It is the first ‘person’ that we share all of our thoughts and experiences with. We even cuddle our teddy bear when we go to sleep at night because it provides us with comfort. It is only right that we take a day to reflect on just how amazing teddy bears are, right?

To understand the history of Teddy Bear Day, we need to roll back the clock to something that happened more than 100 years ago. In 1902, Theodore Rossevelt was the President of the United States. During this year, he refused to shoot a bear cub while he was in Mississippi hunting. The incident spread around the country via the national news. There was even a cartoon of the event that was published in the Washington Post by Clifford Berryman on the 16th of November in 1902. It became a classic right away.

Morris Michtom, a store owner in New York, was inspired by the cartoon and he decided to create a new toy. He then sent a letter to the President, asking Mr. Roosevelt if it would be possible for the new toy to be called “Teddy Bear.” The rest, as they say, was history.

Bare with all the bears today! :teddy_bear::+1::grinning:

3 Likes