Today Is... 📆

This topic just got a bit too paranormal…

3 Likes

:wave: Good morning! :sunny:

It is Tuesday, 4 May 2021
(W18 | D124 | 241 rem)

Today is: :star: Star Wars Day

May the fourth be with you!

May 4th has become commonly known as Star Wars Day. And who could be surprised? The words, “May the 4th” just cry out for the rest of the famous Star Wars catchphrase to be uttered.

Star Wars Day is an informal commemorative day observed annually on May 4 to celebrate George Lucas’s Star Wars media franchise. Observance of the day spread quickly through media and grassroots celebrations since the franchise began in 1977.

The date originated from the pun “May the Fourth be with you”, a variant of the popular Star Wars catchphrase, “May the Force be with you!” Even though the holiday was not created or declared by LucasFilm, many Star Wars fans across the world have chosen to celebrate the holiday. It has since been embraced by Lucasfilm and parent company Disney as an annual celebration of Star Wars.

The first recorded reference of the phrase being used was on May 4, 1979, the day Margaret Thatcher took the job as Prime Minister of the UK. Her political party, the Conservatives, placed a congratulatory advertisement in The London Evening News saying “May the Fourth Be with You, Maggie. Congratulations.”

In 2011, the first organized celebration of Star Wars Day took place at the Toronto Underground Cinema. Festivities included an Original Trilogy Trivia Game Show; a costume contest with celebrity judges; and the web’s best tribute films, mash-ups, parodies, and remixes show on the big screen.

Having purchased Lucasfilm in late 2012, Disney has been officially observing the holiday with several Star Wars events and festivities at its theme parks and across its broadcast channels since 2013.

New material is regularly released on Star Wars Day, and this year is not exception: A new animated series, Star Wars: The Bad Batch will premiere on Disney+ later today.

Disney+ will also release a Simpsons short titled “Maggie Simpson in The Force Awakens From Its Nap,” which will send “characters from the Star Wars galaxy to the town of Springfield” which sounds like a laff riot.

The official Star Wars site (linked below) is full of other events, ideas and activities celebrating Star Wars Day this year.

May the Force, Grogu, and the fourth all be with you this Tuesday, Jedi Knights! :+1:

5 Likes

All the gifs… (is this going to be a thing now?)

6 Likes
5 Likes

Should just be titled, “A STAR WARS BORN”.

5 Likes

My wonderful wife and daughter are sponsoring an early birthday present for me from @Youneek :grinning:

5 Likes

NICE! I Saw the ad for them, they area stunning

3 Likes

That’s dope.

4 Likes

It’s a day late but…

3 Likes

3 Likes

5 Likes

Wahaha! Gandalf is the best!

2 Likes

Star Trek Day is in September! :vulcan_salute::grinning:

2 Likes

It is Wednesday, 5 May 2021
(W18 | D125 | 240 rem)

Today is: :star: Cartoonists’ Day

Most people love some form of cartoon, whether it’s political cartoons, cartoon superheros or the strips in the newspaper that let you forget about the rest of the (not always good) news for a little while. So today, celebrate Cartoonists’ Day, in honour of the people who create your favorite cartoons.

The National Cartoonist Society started the day in 1999. The date honours the day the very first colour newspaper cartoon was published, 5 May, 1895.

The single-panel cartoon was Hogan’s Alley by Richard Outcault. The newspaper was the New York Sunday World. And the main character was The Yellow Kid (“real” name Mickey Dugan).

The Yellow Kid was a bare-foot boy with a shaved head. He wore a yellow, hand-me-down nightshirt and his thoughts were printed on that shirt. The character had appeared in previous black-and-white cartoons.

Much like in advertising today, the popular cartoon character quickly appeared on billboards, postcards, cigarette packs and other products. Today of course we still have cartoons selling products, along with promoting education, shaping public opinion and more.

The Yellow Kid was an archetype of the world, rather than a character in and of itself. Outcault recounted that as he walked the slums of the city on his rounds, he would discover the kid walking out of houses, or sitting and hanging about on doorsteps. The archetypical “kid” was always warm and sunny, friendly, generous, and free of malice and selfishness. How amazing that Richard saw all the good in the world in the worst parts of it, perhaps that’s a lesson in and of itself.

The longest-running newspaper cartoon in history, to date, is called The Katzenjammer Kids, which debuted in 1897 in the American Humorist, and has changed little over the hands of three different cartoonists. The original cartoonist of the comic, Rudolph Dirks, was one of the first to regularly indicate dialogue through speech balloons; speech balloons were standardized as the form in which cartoonists indicated dialogue by the early 1900s, and are still being used today.

Today, many cartoons are recognized not only in the printed media of the comics section, but on television and the internet as well.

One of the first film cartoons was released for viewing in 1908, and is considered to be Fantasmagorie, a hand-drawn animation by French cartoonist Émile Cohl. The cartoon, only one minute and twenty seconds in length, consists of a stick figure man running into and morphing into other objects. The short animated cartoon was derived from 700 hand-drawn illustrations. Cohl would go on to be referred to as the “father of the animated cartoon.”

Not all cartoonists aim to make you laugh but also use the media as a source of discussion. With the rise of the popular political cartoon, cartoonists now use comics and illustration as a form of political discourse. The political cartoon is an illustration, often with a caricature, to convey commentary on current events or politics. Instead of finding these on the funny pages of a newspaper, they are often found in the editorial pages of a newspaper or journal.

For many years, cartoons were viewed as low-brow in comparison to other forms of art, but the work of cartoonists is important and underappreciated. The art form has grown in popularity with a younger generation that seeks to utilize both art and culture in their media expression.

So, while the day really aims to celebrate the creators of our favourite cartoons, the cartoonists, who and what are some of your favourite cartoons and comics?

Take as many panels as you need to have a well drawn Wednesday, my dudes! :frog::+1:

5 Likes

I hope you all like my cartoon.

5 Likes

13+Cookie 38+Kill+You 40+Ninja 29+Black+Widow

My all time favourite series

3 Likes

I simply love Bill Watterson, and purely for Calvin and Hobbes!

4 Likes

For me Robb, Dave, Kris and Matt (Cyanide & Happiness), Gary Larson (The Far Side), Scott Adams (Dilbert), and locally Stephen Francis and Rico (Madam & Eve).

https://explosm.net/

Homepage | Dilbert by Scott Adams

https://twitter.com/madamevecartoon

4 Likes

It is Thursday, 6 May 2021
(W18 | D126 | 239 rem)

Today is: :star: International No Diet Day

International No Diet Day (INDD) is an annual celebration of body acceptance, including fat acceptance and body shape diversity. The first International No Diet Day was celebrated in the UK in 1992.

This day is also dedicated to promoting a healthy life style with a focus on health at any size and in raising awareness of the potential dangers of, and the unlikelihood of success of, dieting; the Institute of Medicine summarises: “those who complete weight loss programs lose approximately 10 percent of their body weight only to regain two-thirds within a year and almost all of it within five years.”

No Diet Day was created by Mary Evans Young in 1992. Young is the director of the British group “Diet Breakers”.

After personally experiencing anorexia nervosa, she worked to help people appreciate themselves for what they are, and to appreciate the body they have. Young developed her understanding both through her own experiences of being bullied at school for being fat and by speaking with women who attended the management courses she ran. She relates in her book, Diet Breaking: Having It All Without Having to Diet, how during one of these courses in 1991 she became irritated with the coffee break conversation about whether or not the women were going to eat a biscuit - “Oh, I’ll just have one”, “I shouldn’t really”, “Oh, all right then”. Young asked the group “What do you think would happen if you spent as much time and energy on your careers as you do on diets?”

In May 1992, Young introduced the first No Diet Day.

It was a small affair to be celebrated by a dozen women with a picnic in Hyde Park, London. Ages ranged from twenty-one to seventy-six and they all wore stickers saying: Ditch That Diet. It rained, and so Mary Evans Young held the picnic in her home. Since then, groups in other countries around the globe have started to celebrate No Diet Day, especially in the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, India, Israel, Denmark, Sweden and Brazil.

In celebrating No Diet Day, participants aim to:

• Question the idea of one “right” body shape.
  • Raise awareness of weight discrimination, size bias, and fat phobia.
  • Declare a single day free from diets and obsessions about body weight.
  • Present the facts about the diet industry, emphasizing the inefficacy of commercial diets.
  • Honour the victims of eating disorders and weight-loss surgery.
  • Help end weight discrimination, sizism and fat phobia.

Eat healthy, be happy, love the body you have, and have a great Thursday! :+1:

6 Likes

I’ve already had Vida Bomba and Dirty Chai with two slices of their banana bread smeared with butter.

3 Likes