Today Is... 📆

Maybe the Cape but the Highveld has awesome sun in Winter.

I don’t think I’ve worn sunscreen in over ten years. The key is not to be English and get lobster red in one day.

4 Likes

Yes, in Winter too! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Definately! Its when you get burnt the worst, when its cloudy.

2 Likes

:wave: Good morning! :sunny:

It is Friday, 28 May 2021
(W21 | D148 | 217 rem)

Today is: :star: International Burger Day :hamburger:

Last week was pizza. This week it’s the turn of everyones other favourite - burgers.

And while the original meat-based hamburger may no longer be the only burger option out there, it’s still the most popular.

Why are burgers so amazing? Well, it’s clever really, it matters not who you are, there will be some form of burger for you. Unlike some popular dishes where you just get what you get, a burger can be designed and created for the person who is eating it.

In a strange way, a burger resembles an art form that you chew. While that last statement may sound crazy, it’s far from it. If you sit back and think about it, whenever you make a burger at home, you have specific ingredients that you like to mix with your patty, and more than this, a burger is one food that welcomes OCD. What do we mean by that? Well, can you honestly say that you don’t freak out if the cheese is in the wrong place?

The truth is, a burger is a universal food; it’s a food that has many forms; it’s a food that brings people together, and ultimately, it’s loved by most.

The invention of the hamburger has been claimed by so many that there’s only one real origin. Hamburg, Germany. No matter who says they invented the hamburger, no one can deny that it was the second-largest city in Germany that was its namesake. While not all types of ‘burgers’ resemble the meat that came out of Hamburg, they all have the roots of their preparation in this noble city.

Hamburgers have come to be a symbol of all that is right in the world in the modern-day. Barbecue’s where families gather, surprise rewards by your boss, a quick bite to eat on your lunch break, or the first date shared with a new potential partner. All of these things can, and often do, include the hamburger in any one of a million of its potential preparations.

It’s time to think big, think outside the box, think of the power of the patty and celebrate Burger Day in style.

It’s Friday. It’s International Burger Day. Can life get any better? Have a great day! :hamburger::grinning::+1:

3 Likes

But when’s Hamberder day?

Hamberders!!

3 Likes

Love me a good burger!

3 Likes

We make burgers every friday night so this is perfect.

3 Likes

These guys are pretty good, and under R40 for the small meal.

The lady at the till charged an extra R2 for a medium drink, which she wasn’t supposed to do, but I was cravin’ the Dew, so I didn’t say anything. They poured a medium, put it on the counter, then took it back and put out a small. When the burger came out, I basically said “Where’s my medium drink?”. I had to point out the slip said medium (and medium fries, but I was fine with the small") and that I paid R2 extra.

They apologised, gave me the medium that was already poured, then said something something “next time”. The one who rung me up said the R2 was for the flavour of the drink, not the size.

:roll_eyes:

3 Likes

:wave: Good morning! :sun_behind_small_cloud:

It is Saturday, 29 May 2021
(W21 | D149 | 216 rem)

Today is: :star: International Everest Day :mountain_snow:

Nepal and the world celebrate Everest Day on 29 May every year, in memory of the first summit of Mt. Everest by Tenzing Norgay Sherpa and Sir Edmund Hillary which took place on May 29, 1953.

The day is celebrated with memorial events, processions and special events in Kathmandu and the Everest region.

The Mt. Everest Day celebration has been a significant occasion for the promotion of Nepal’s mountain tourism. Participants include ministers, climbers, tourism entrepreneurs and government officials. However, celebrations of this day during this pandemic era are likely to be low-key.

Mount Everest is Earth’s highest mountain above sea level and it is located in the Mahalangur Himal sub-range of the Himalayas. The China-Nepal border runs across its summit point. It’s elevation (snow height) of 8,848.86 m was most recently established in 2020 by the Nepali and Chinese authorities.

Mount Everest attracts many climbers, including highly experienced mountaineers.

There are two main climbing routes, one approaching the summit from the southeast in Nepal, this route is also known as the standard route and the other from the north in Tibet.

While not posing substantial technical climbing challenges on the standard route, Everest presents dangers such as altitude sickness, weather, wind, as well as significant hazards from avalanches and the Khumbu Icefall.

Located at the border between Nepal and China in the Himalayas, Everest is a mountain that has accumulated many names over the years. Its Nepali name, Sagarmāthā, translates as ‘the Head in the Great Blue Sky’, the Tibetan word Qomolangma means ‘Holy Mother’, while the English name comes from the British Surveyor General of India, Sir George Everest.

It’s Saturday! Unless you have a mountain to climb, chill and relax and have a fabulous day. If you do have a mountain to climb, why?! :mountain_snow::grinning::+1:

5 Likes

“Because it’s there.” — George Mallory on #Warframe

3 Likes

4 Likes

It is Sunday, 30 May 2021
(W21 | D150 | 215 rem)

Today is: :star: Mint Julep Day

It’s the last Sunday before Winter officially arrives. The forecast for much of the country looks decent for the day, so let’s take advantage by mixing up a fresh and delicious mint julep cocktail.

Mint Julep, a delicious and refreshing alcoholic beverage made with bourbon, originates in the southern regions of the United States and still counts this area as its heartland. This sentiment is especially true of Kentucky, where the annual Kentucky Derby horse race sees around 120,000 of these tasty beverages served each year.

At these high end events, tradition dictates that premium versions of the drink are served in gold-plated cups with silver straws at a cost of $1000. But, of course, it isn’t necessary to spend quite that much as that in order to enjoy the day.

Making its first appearance in print in 1803, this distinctly American drink was written about by John Davis who noted that it was enjoyed in the morning. The “julep” part of the name is what identifies it as a drink that is served over crushed ice. Other versions of the julep drink can be made with cognac or peach brandy.

The ingredients of this drink are simple: bourbon, mint leaf, sugar and water. However, no two bartenders seem to make the drink in the same way, which is all the more reason to sample a few before this special day is over.

Well I do declare that y’all have a peaceful Sunday, grab the last of the Autumn sunshine with a delicious mint julep in hand, and be happy! :grinning::+1:

Know more:

6 Likes

It is Monday, 31 May 2021
(W21 | D150 | 215 rem)

Today is: :star: World No Tobacco Day :no_smoking:

Smoking has long been a habit many of us would like to kick, but it is something that has proven to be difficult. I know. I quit a little over a year ago, and still have regular cravings and moments of remembering what it was like to smoke. Stopping smoking is not easy at all, but if you’re thinking about quitting, why not try going for just one day without tobacco. Today.

The good news is that in recent times there has been more of a focus on people quitting smoking, and societies trying to go smoke-free. This is something that businesses and establishments have embraced, and it has helped with a surge in the number of people giving up smoking, but there are still a lot of people with a smoking habit.

We see it every day, people standing outside in the rain huddled over a burning stick of foul tobacco. The stench gets into their clothes, stains their teeth, and permeates the air around them. Every moment of every day is spent waiting for that next nicotine break, their obsession and taste for disgusting habits only being eclipsed by those who insist that coffee is a beverage. No Tobacco Day is dedicated to those who are determined to leave this foul substance behind them and encourage others to do so as well.

Indeed, becoming smoke-free these days is such an event that it has led to its own celebration. People like to acknowledge their achievements and celebrate a cleaner and healthier society, and this is one of the reasons for the creation of No Tobacco Day.

Over three decades ago, the World Health Organization created this day to allow the celebration of non-smoking, and to encourage those who do smoke to perform some level of abstinence from all forms of tobacco for at least 24-hours.

World No Tobacco Day is observed around the world every year on 31 May. This yearly celebration informs the public on the dangers of using tobacco, the business practices of tobacco companies, what the World Health Organization (WHO) is doing to fight against the use of tobacco, and what people around the world can do to claim their right to health and healthy living and to protect future generations.

The Member States of the WHO created World No Tobacco Day in 1987 to draw global attention to the tobacco epidemic and the preventable death and disease it causes. The day is further intended to draw attention to the widespread prevalence of tobacco use and to negative health effects, which currently lead to more than 8 million deaths each year worldwide, including 1.2 million which are the result of non-smokers being exposed to second-hand smoke.

The day has been met with both enthusiasm and resistance around the globe from governments, public health organizations, smokers, growers, and the tobacco industry.

Whichever choice you make today, use it to make it a magnificent Monday! :grinning::+1:

5 Likes

Glad I never started smoking.

6 Likes

Glad I stopped smoking.

7 Likes

I stopped with ciggies but I still vape. So yeah I am glad I’ve stopped with the ciggies tho

4 Likes

Ive been ciggie free for 6 years now, still vape but low nic and no chain vaping

4 Likes

:rofl:

4 Likes

Well that was easy. Made it the whole day without any tobacco :tongue:

6 Likes

I have never put my mouth around anything involving cigarettes,vape, hubbly, cigars etc. Never really saw the need or want

3 Likes