Today Is... 📆

Looking at you Takealot

3 Likes

The pic you quoted looks like someone ordered a PS5 from them.

1 Like

:wave: Good morning! :sunny:

It is Sunday, 08 August 2021
(W31 | D220 | 145 rem)

Today is: :star: International Cat Day :cat2:

International Cat Day is a full 24 hours of recognition and veneration of one of humanity’s oldest and most beloved pets. The festivities were put together for the first time in 2002 by IFAW, the International Fund for Animal Welfare, among other animal rights groups, to celebrate the most popular pet on the planet.

In 2020 custodianship of International Cat Day passed to International Cat Care, a not-for-profit British organization that has been striving to improve the health and welfare of domestic cats worldwide since 1958.

An estimated 500 million domestic cats are thought to be frolicking across the world, which means that most every extended family is bound to have an aunt with more kittens than former husbands, whatever the country or climate.

And that’s great, because owning a cat has been shown to improve mental health and to relieve stress, anxiety and depression. So when it’s raining cats and dogs outside and you don’t have someone to cuddle with, any black, ginger, Persian, Siamese, Burmese, Bengal, Shorthair, Munchkin, Balinese, RagaMuffin or any old stray cat will do the trick.

So roll out the red carpet and the catnip for your furry feline friend, because International Cat Day is that one day a year when black cats bring good luck and cat eye sunglasses are the perfect match for everything and anything you’re wearing.

Get your purr on, and have a furry feline filled Sunday! :cat2::+1::grinning:

Know More:

https://icatcare.org/international-cat-day/

2 Likes

“There are two means of refuge from the misery of life — music and cats.” Albert Schweitzer

“Cats are connoisseurs of comfort.” James Herriot

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.” Charles Dickens

“Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a purpose.” Garrison Keillor

“If animals could speak, the dog would be a blundering outspoken fellow; but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much.” Mark Twain

“A cat has absolute emotional honesty: human beings, for one reason or another, may hide their feelings, but a cat does not.” Ernest Hemingway

“I would like to see anyone, prophet, king or God, convince a thousand cats to do the same thing at the same time.” Neil Gaiman

“If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat.” Mark Twain

“I have lived with several Zen masters – all of them cats.” Eckhart Tolle

“I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul.” Jean Cocteau

“The way to get on with a cat is to treat it as an equal - or even better, as the superior it knows itself to be.” Elizabeth Peters

“There are no ordinary cats. Time spent with a cat is never wasted.” Colette

“I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior.” Hippolyte A. Taine

“I believe cats to be spirits come to earth. A cat, I am sure, could walk on a cloud without coming through.” Jules Verne

“I love them, they are so nice and selfish. Dogs are TOO good and unselfish. They make me feel uncomfortable. But cats are gloriously human.” L.M. Montgomery

“Cats can work out mathematically the exact place to sit that will cause most inconvenience.” Pam Brown

3 Likes

and after all these years this site still exists

3 Likes

“I was not a cat person until I got a cat.” DarthMol

3 Likes

When a cat gives a shit about me, i’ll give a shit about a cat.

3 Likes

So, never then? :heart_eyes_cat:

1 Like

It is Monday, 09 August 2021
(W32 | D221 | 144 rem)

Today is: :star: Book Lovers Day :open_book:

From the scent of a rare first edition book found in an old time book collection, to a crisp, fresh book at the local supermarket, the very sight of a book can bring back memories.

Reading as a child, enjoying the short stories, the long books and the ability to lose yourself in a story so powerful that at the end your asking yourself where to get the next book in the series. This is for the reader in all of us, the celebration of Book Lovers Day!

While the day’s origins may be shrouded in mystery and rumor, the books themselves are not. Started from carving on stone tablets, the book was designed to make portable the writings and drawings of those that could not carry around stone tablets. Originally it was parchment or vellum (calf skin, in case you were wondering)was bound tightly with a wooden cover.

Often the wooden cover was tightly wrapped in leather to prevent the wood from getting wet and had clasps or straps to hold it shut. In the more modern age, printing capabilities made books cheaper, and easier, to print. The printing press, the typewriter, and the computer all had an effect on the market of books.

But more so than most, is the upsurge in electronic devices that can be used to read on. Computers, tablets, and most cell phones now have the ability to read books, making it that much easier to carry around a small library to enjoy not matter where you are.

In order to truly appreciate Book Lovers Day, one must only find a story and read it. Maybe you wish to dive into the unknown with a good mystery, or see magic in a high fantasy setting, or be enthralled in a steamy romance. The individual genre of your reading is not the big piece of this, just that you read.

Maybe a visit to your local library is in order? After all public libraries existed even way back in the Middle Ages, but they didn’t really let many folks take books home. The librarians in those days chained books to shelves or desks in order to prevent theft of the carefully hand written tomes.

Many librarians will gladly help you find a title to read, giving a brief explanation on what it is about if they have read it, or giving it a little flip and reading about it quickly in the synopsis. But no matter your preference, if you read it at home with a cup of tea, share a book meeting with friends or go to the library and make use of the wonderful pieces on those shelves, just enjoy your reading, revel in the book and find a way to read during Book Lovers Day!

An entire Monday reading automatically makes Monday the best day of the week! :open_book::+1::grinning:

Know More:

Today is also :star: Women’s Day

Every year, in August, South Africa marks Women’s Month. On 9 August we pay tribute to the more than 20 000 women who marched to the Union Buildings on 9 August 1956 in protest against the extension of Pass Laws to women. A system meant to control women even further and reduce women to passive beings, at the mercy of men.

https://www.gov.za/WomenDay2021

3 Likes

Currently reading The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren.

1 Like

It is Tuesday, 10 August 2021
(W32 | D222 | 143 rem)

Today is: :star: World Lion Day :lion:

To go with the recent appreciation day for cats, and the awareness days for tigers, it’s only right that we do the same for the undisputed King of Cats - the lion! Today is World Lion Day :lion:

Lion Day aims to raise awareness of the majestic hunter, the ultimate feline, the king of the jungle, the big fluffy kitty of the Serengeti… Hmm, we should have left it at ‘king of the jungle’?

This celebration of the animal kingdom’s most beautiful and fearsome creature was founded by Big Cat Rescue, the world’s largest accredited sanctuary dedicated to big cats. August 10th is a day for people to come together from across the world to pay tribute to the mighty lion in as many ways as possible.

Though a fun and exciting occasion for all, its foundations are based in a very serious matter: lion numbers have dramatically declined to the point where the species needs to be placed on the endangered list, just like its larger cousin the tiger.

World Lion Day is the brainchild of co-founders Dereck and Beverly Joubert, a husband-and-wife team with a passion for big cats. They began the initiative in 2013, bringing together both National Geographic and the Big Cat Initiative under a single banner to protect the remaining big cats living in the wild.

Lions – with the scientific name Panthera leo – are the second-largest cat in the world, just behind the Asian tiger. These immense creatures, weighing between 300 and 550 pounds, have sparked the popular imagination for centuries, inspiring awe through their speed and muscular power.

Three million years ago, lions roamed all over Africa and the Eurasian supercontinent. But today, various ice ages and changes in the natural environment means that their range is reduced primarily to Africa and select parts of Asia.

According to the International Union for the Conservation of Nature, lions are a “vulnerable” species, meaning that their numbers could and should be higher. Currently, researchers estimate that there are between 30,000 and 100,000 lions left on planet Earth. Without significant intervention, there is a chance that they could find themselves on the endangered list alongside other species most at risk of extinction.

World Lion Day, therefore, is an opportunity for lion lovers all over the planet to push back against the decline in the range and habitat of the king of beasts. These giant animals are among the world’s largest land species and an apex predator with a reputation like no other. It would be a tragic loss for both nature and humanity if the species were to disappear entirely from the natural environment.

The threats against lions, however, are all too real. They face the dual specters of increasingly popular “trophy hunting” and human incursion on their traditional wildlands. A reduction in food combined with hunting tourism is making them more vulnerable with every passing year. Over the last four decades, the lion population declined by fifty percent.

World Lion Day, therefore, has three objectives. The first is to raise awareness of the plight of the lion and the issues that the species faces in the wild. The second is to find ways to protect the big cat’s natural environment, such as creating more national parks and reducing the areas in which people can settle. And the third is to educate people who live near wild cats on the dangers and how to protect themselves. Humans and large species like cats can live in harmony together, but only if they understand how to do so.

Happy Tuesday all y’all! Be fierce, roar loudly and have great day! :lion::+1::grinning:

Know More:

andBeyond Safaris celebrating Lion Day 2021 with a live event:

3 Likes

Celebrating the best lion pick I can find:

3 Likes

:wave: Good morning! :cloud:

It is Wednesday, 11 August 2021
(W32 | D223 | 143 rem)

Today is: :star: World Calligraphy Day :fountain_pen:

Calligraphy is art in a written form. Today it is used in many design concepts for advertising and promoting, and it is easy to do because of the advanced technology we have today. However, calligraphy also has had a vast history that has impact many cultures all over the world. World Calligraphy Day commemorates this history and hopes that people can take on calligraphy as a passion in their lives.

Calligraphy has been around for the longest time and has been a significant art form that marks essential points in history. The Chinese, the Egyptians, the Islamics, and ancient Western civilizations all have different styles formed from their cultures because calligraphy is the combination of visual art with writing.

For instance, much of Western civilizations calligraphy came from its practice in Latin because of how it was taught and read in religious churches. The same goes for the Islamics, using the Koran and religious texts to create art. Because it has been around for hundreds of years, calligraphy continues to be a kind of art form that helps aid and transforms today’s media.

World Calligraphy Day allows experts and beginners to come together to discuss, practice, and learn about the art of calligraphy. This holiday began through the Pen Museum and the Manuscript Pen Company; the Pen Museum is a museum dedicated to teaching the art of calligraphy and the Manuscript Pen Company being an art retailer specializing in calligraphy products. Each year, the Pen Museum brings in experts from different schools of art and lets visitors who attend the museum to learn how to begin calligraphy and the different styles of art that exist.

World Calligraphy Day celebrates this art and its history and encourages others to participate and learn about this art form.

Want to try out calligraphy? Buy some supplies at your local art supply store and see how you do. If you need practice, you can always attend art classes, whether at a college or through online resources. You can also research into the different styles of art there is and see what interests you the most.

And if you do give calligraphy a try, or are already an accomplished calligraphist, share some of your work with us.

Happy Wednesday my Dudes! Write on!! :fountain_pen::frog::+1::grinning:

Know More:

https://www.calligraphy-museum.com/en/news/news/today-is-the-world-calligraphy-day

4 Likes

Oooh I love hand lettering and caligraphy. If only I had a calligraphy pen.

2 Likes

I remember hosting an art party (people just came to paint/sculpt/etc). The Chinese person there was teaching Chinese calligraphy. I’ll never forget how badly she was yelling at my other friend for not having perfect strokes in the first 5 minutes. :laughing:

1 Like

Sorry, missed World Lion Day.

This is the closest I ever got to a lion in the wild (keep in mind this was taken on my phone, without zoom!):

Also, GOLDEN HOUR FOR THE WIN!

5 Likes

Those cubs are the best! What a very cool sighting.

1 Like

It is Thursday, 12 August 2021
(W32 | D224 | 142 rem)

Today is: :star: Vinyl Record Day

Vinyl Record Day is organized by (you guessed it) the Vinyl Record Day Company – a not-for-profit organization dedicated to recognizing the preserving vinyl music, its culture, art, and sound.

Whilst you could dust off some old vinyl records, you may be surprised to find many modern artists producing music in vinyl format to provide a richer, more immersive experience.

Vinyl Record Day celebrates the good old way of playing our favorite tracks! In recent years, vinyl has undergone a bit of a renaissance. As CD sales fall, more people are embracing the vintage vinyl, offering a unique playing experience and becoming a statement piece in any home. Whether you have a collection of vinyl or you’ve never heard music played on one before, Vinyl Record Day gives you the perfect excuse to enjoy music in a classic form. It’s a day that is about listening to all types of music on vinyl records.

If you are lucky enough to have a vinyl record player and a collection of vinyl records, you should make sure you give them a little bit of extra TLC on this day!

There are a number of things that you can do to protect your vinyl records and make sure they last as long as possible. This includes cleaning your records before you play them, cleaning the stylus, keeping the vinyl itself clean and storing your records correctly. A little bit of love and care can go a very long way when it comes to protecting valuable vintage classics like vinyl records.

Before we can delve deeper into the history of Vinyl Record Day, we first need to understand the history of the vinyl. Vinyl records are also known as gramophone records and phonograph records. This is a method for storing music that involves the use of a flat disc that has a modulated spiral and inscribed groove. The groove tends to begin near the periphery, ending close to the disc’s center. In the beginning, shellac was typically used to make these discs. However, polyvinyl chloride became the most popular choice throughout the ‘40s, and this is how the name vinyl came about. Once we reached the mid-2000s, though, it did not really matter what material was used; records were simply called vinyl or vinyl records.

You may be wondering when this journey started. Well, it was a long time ago! Back in 1857, the phonautograph was patented by Leon Scott. This used a stylus and vibrating diaphragm so that sound waves could be graphically recorded as tracings on sheets of paper. This was not for the intention of playing them back at the time, though. It was purely for visual analysis. In fact, it was not until 2008 that phonautograms of speech and singing that were made by Scott in the 1860s were played back as sound!

The phonograph was then invented by Thomas Edison in 1877. What made this different to the phonautograph was the fact that it could actually record sound and reproduce it. Although the names are very similar, there is no evidence that Edison’s creation was based on Scott’s in any way.

So, now that you know more about vinyl records, what about the day itself? We have Gary Freiberg of Los Osos, California, to thank for Vinyl Record Day. He chose the date to commemorate the day the phonograph was invented by Thomas Edison in 1877.

On Vinyl Record Day, Gary encourages everyone to remember the good things in life and to look back on fond memories, especially vinyl records. When you think of it from this perspective, you see how it is a day that we can all enjoy, no matter whether you are a big music fan or not.

Make it a Thursday worth recording! Hey Mr DJ put a record on, I wanna dance with my baby! :+1::grinning:

4 Likes

I still remember trying to DJ scratch a record on my parents’ old record player. Didn’t work as I expected :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It is Friday, 13 August 2021
(W32 | D225 | 141 rem)

Today is: :star: International Lefthanders Day

From scissors to knives, from can openers to cork screws, Left Handers (also sometimes called Southpaws) can be the brunt of jokes all year long due to their unique hand dominance.

But this is the day to ignore all of that and bring awareness to all of those right handed folks around the globe in celebration of Left Handers Day. After all, as the old saying goes– right handed people operate on the left side of the brain, which means that left handed people are functioning on the right side. Therefore, only left handed people are in their right mind!

Celebrating its first year of existence in 1976, the Lefthanders International organization helped raise awareness to the myriad of difficulties that can be faced by people who are left handed.

Being accused of witchcraft in the 1600s for just using one hand more than the other, was only the beginning! Since only 10 percent of the population is left handed, various items made especially for those who are left-handed are typically more expensive than their right handed counterparts.

Objects such as scissors, knives and even school desks can see a mark up of almost 75% more for left handed individuals! Even sports fanatics will pay out the nose, as golf clubs sometimes see as much as a 200% increase depending on their brand.

But even though it can be difficult and, admittedly, a bit more expensive, those left handers in the world are certainly unique and interesting people. And this is the perfect day to celebrate them!

Celebrating Left Handers Day is a fun and simple way to acknowledge the unique position of those whose dominant hand is their left. Try celebrating in these ways:

Brag About Being Left Handed
For those who are left handed, today is the day to celebrate and enjoy! Wear a left-handers t-shirt or make a proud post on social media. Embrace this special quality and show that pride in being left handed!

Appreciate a Left Handed Person
Those who aren’t left handed can contact those friends and family members who are left handed and give them a congratulatory hug for the struggles they have faced in their lifetimes! Tell them how interesting they are and how much they are appreciated for their contributions to the world. Take them to lunch or coffee and offer to try eating with the opposite hand to see what it’s like.

Try “Walking a Mile In Their Shoes”
Okay, well maybe their shoes would be the same. But how about their scissors, or knives or guitars or computer mouse? Take some time to feel the pain of a left hander living in a right handed world by sharing in their difficulties. This can be done easily enough by asking them to borrow their left handed scissors and then using them with the right hand! Just the discomfort alone tends to be enough to bring people around to understanding.

In addition, learning to throw a ball or write on a desk designed for a right handed person is difficult for a Southpaw, so why not swap the table on them and sit them at a left handed student desk to write some things down with their right hand?

Introduce individuals to the inherent difficulties of using a left handed paring knife in their right hand. Or show them how coffee mugs are made with the picture and writing so one would have to use the cup in the right hand in order to make use of it as it was intended. Take a look at a computer mouse–which is intended for a right handed person–and see how difficult it becomes without knowing how to swap it to the left handed mode.

MEW lefties, raise your hands and be counted!

Curb your triskaidekaphobia, go find your favourite lefty and give the lovable witch some left-hand love! Happy Friday! :point_left::raised_hands::+1::grinning:

Know More:

http://www.lefthandersday.com/

3 Likes