Today Is... 📆

I find it absolutely fascinating that Cash popularised that song and that most people who have heard it are so surprised when they find out that NIN are the original artists, to a point where people actually argue it.

2 Likes

Trent did a good job with the song, but Cash owned it. He made it his own and the raw emotion he put into his rendition of the song just cannot be beat. The fact that he died not long after the recording makes this his swansong for me.

3 Likes

That whole album is a masterpiece.

3 Likes

Country lyrics at their finest:

Also, who can forget such amazing lyrics like:
“She got the ring, I got the finger.
She got the mine, I got the shaft”

And I know some of you can relate:

2 Likes

does this count?

2 Likes

:wave: Good morning! :cloud:

It is Saturday, 18 September 2021
(W37 | D261 | 104 rem)

Today is: :star: International Red Panda Day

With the decline of available opportunities to live and thrive in their natural habitat, Red Pandas are struggling. International Red Panda Day hopes to encourage people to learn about these adorable creatures and help save the biome in which they live.

Red pandas are native to the Eastern Himalayas and can sometimes still be found roaming there. These animals spend most of their lives in trees and even sleep aloft. When foraging, they are mostly nocturnal but they also forage in the gloaming hours of dusk and dawn.

Due to the encroachment of human activity and expansion, these rust-colored creatures are experiencing a loss of nesting trees and bamboo, leading to a decline in the population. With less than 10,000 in the wild efforts are doubled every year to help these little firefoxes!

Red pandas are smaller than many people expect, since their name is often associated with the giant panda. In fact, these little creatures typically only grow to about the size of a house cat, though their big, bushy tails add an additional 18 inches to their size. Red pandas have a taste for bamboo but, unlike their larger relatives, they eat many other foods as well—fruit, acorns, roots, and even eggs. Like giant pandas, they have an extended wrist bone that functions almost like a thumb and greatly aids their grip when climbing.

To help make others aware of the plight of these cute little animals, share some fun facts and bits of trivia on International Panda Day:

• Red Pandas spend approximately 55% of their days sleeping. They are most active early in the morning, when they tend to forage for breakfast.
  • Typically solitary creatures, Red Pandas prefer to live and dwell alone, Red Pandas don’t usually gather together for social reasons but only join together in pairs during breeding seasons, when they communicate through body language such as head bobbing or tail arching.
  • Red Pandas are not actually bears. In fact, they are the only living members of their taxonomic family, the Ailuridae family. This means they are not actually related to Giant Pandas, but they do have a few things in common with them, including their propensity to eat bamboo. Really, they are more like racoons than bears.
  • Red Pandas love snow. In fact, because of the contrast between the color of their fur and the snow, a wintery day may be one of the best times to be able to spot a Red Panda in their outside habitat at the zoo.

Red pandas are cuter than giant pandas. Fight me. :+1::grinning:

Know More:

https://redpandanetwork.org/Get-Involved/

4 Likes

I would have thought that is some sort of fox.

3 Likes

Cute little buggers, aren’t they?!

2 Likes

:wave: Good morning! :cloud:

It is Sunday, 19 September 2021
(W37 | D262 | 103 rem)

Today is: :star: International Talk Like A Pirate Day :pirate_flag:

Get yer malmsey-nosed flintlock out o’ me teeth!

Yar harrr! Ahoy there ye lily livered blaggards! It be Talk Like A Pirate Day, and that means it’s time for pillaging and the imbibing of rum!

Pirates have been all the rage in recent years and out of that particular fascination came an insane and completely pirate-oriented idea: that there should be a day dedicated to keeping the piratical language alive and, more importantly, the tradition of all things related to pirates.

So Talk Like a Pirate Day was created. And now it’s time to celebrate with all of the pirate talk that can be mustered in one day!

Get yer foul cannon out of me pirate parts!

It was June 6, 1995, and a group of men were playing racquetball at Albany in Oregon. All throughout they were shouting encouragement to each other. On this particular day, for reasons unbeknownst to them, they started shouting piratical slang at each other. From there it just kind of took on a life of its own, and they realized by the end of the game that it was necessary that they establish a holiday to celebrate that encouraged the use of such a fine vernacular. The first thing they needed was a date, and it just so happened that the date selected was the birthday of his ex-wife.

For the next seven years they honoured this holiday, in relative obscurity, until they happened upon the email address of one Dave Barry, a syndicated columnist and author of a great number of books. He also happened to be hilarious, like any good pirate should be. From there it’s all history, Dave Barry promoted the holiday, and it’s been one amazing year after another as people all over the country celebrate this auspicious holiday.

I shall plank that reef monkey with my starboard bow. Avast!

Talk Like a Pirate

Ahoy, Matey! This obvious application of the celebration might be a little more difficult than one might think. Because, who actually knows what pirates sound like when they talk?! Some phrases are more commonly known, like “pillage” or “landlubber”. But others are a little harder to understand. Here’s some vocabulary and lingo to help get novice pirate talkers started:

• “Son of a Biscuit Eater”. This is what pirates might call someone they don’t like, the idea being that a biscuit eater is refined and, well, not a pirate.
  • “All Hand Hoy!” Upon hearing this, everyone needs to get on deck to help out.
  • “Bring a Spring Upon ‘er”. A phrase meaning to turn the ship in another direction.
  • “Grog Blossom”. A person who has a red nose because they drink too much alcohol (probably rum).

He be swabbin’ like a blubbery boot-licker.

Read Some Pirate Tales

Even people who are land-dwellers can certainly use their imaginations to read about different pirates and their escapades. From classic to modern, stories about pirates are bound to be exciting and adventurous! Surely reading some books about pirates will help to build up that Talk Like a Pirate Day vocabulary.

Take a look at these classic pirate novels to get started:

• Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson. The Scottish author brought pirates to life in 1881 with his talk of buccaneers and buried gold.
  • Peter Pan by JM Barrie. Infused with run-ins with Captain Hook, the original Peter Pan stories from 1904 are much darker than the Disney animated remake films.
  • The Pirate by Sir Walter Scott. Written by another Scottish author, this 1821 novel features Captain Cleveland, a shipwrecked captain in the setting of the island of Shetland.
  • The Life, Adventures, and Piracies of the Famous Captain Singleton by Daniel Defoe. The first book written on this list, the 1720 book tells the story of an Englishman who was stolen, raised by gypsies, and eventually takes to life on the sea.

Watch Pirate Films

Not into reading? That’s okay! Plenty of films about pirates have been created so that individuals and groups can spend a couple of hours hearing all kinds of pirate-speak.

The Pirates of the Caribbean series of films can take up a nice chunk of time with its 6 different movies in the franchise. Or for an inspiring one-off, try a modern day somewhat-true-to life pirate story starring Tom Hanks, Captain Phillips.

Have a roarin’ Sunday my hearties! Arrr! :pirate_flag::+1::grinning:

Know More:

http://talklikeapirate.com/wordpress/

6 Likes

Yar, shiver me timbers… Aye, this ol’ land lubber forgot this grand day.

Arrr.

2 Likes

234942398_991554964971416_3774570408656891105_n

240427360_991554918304754_6727516956150015679_n 240768276_991554678304778_3178961618087557082_n
A bit late but a friend of mine sent me these yesterday, just didnt have time to upload them

4 Likes

Yip or should I say Yar, cuteness confirmed, me harties.

3 Likes

:wave: Good morning! :sunny:

It is Monday, 20 September 2021
(W38 | D263 | 102 rem)

Today is: :star: Pepperoni Pizza Day :pizza:

There’s no better feeling in the world than a warm pizza box on your lap - Kevin James

Almost everyone would have to agree with Mr. James about the feeling of pizza. There are a series of promises inherently made in that fragrant, warm cardboard box. Rich, savory red sauce and the long tantalizing stretch of delicious cheese are held within, a delicious treasure to share with friends and family, or hog all alone.

The perfect topping for this delicious dish absolutely must be some slices of well-spiced pepperoni. Pepperoni Pizza Day reminds everyone to give this classic a place in their day, and take a well-earned break from cooking.

Pepperoni pizza has become the standard pizza for people all over the world. In fact, it stands apart as the singularly most ordered type of pizza on the entire planet. Whether buying pizza for a birthday party or a day at the office, pretty much everyone knows that they can be guaranteed a positive response by buying one topped with pepperoni!

The pizza is believed to have first been developed in Italy in 1889 by Raffaele Esposito, though others claim that the first one was sold in 1738 in Naples, Italy.

Pepperoni is one of many cased meats (like salami, but spicier) that likely traces its origins back to Italian immigrants to New York City in the early 1900s. At least, the first known mention of pepperoni is when they began appearing in delis and at pizzerias all throughout the city, made from a mix of beef and pork and some added spices (specifically peppers–which is where the name was derived from).

With a finer grain than most Italian meats, pepperoni is softer, which makes it a favorite for putting on top of pizza!

It wasn’t until the 1950s that pizza became a widespread dish in the United States. The first mention of pizza in the US was in a New York Times article that called it “a pie popular in Southern Italy”. And, even then, it was continuing to develop flavour over time. One of the best developments, of course, was the addition of pepperoni.

Spoil yourself and the family to a slice or two this manic Monday! :pizza::+1::grinning:

5 Likes

You mean like this, right?
Two slices?

3 Likes

I have still yet to find an excellent pepperoni anywhere. The one the have at the Checkers deli locally is pretty good, but it’s still lacking.

Maybe I’m just spoiled after working at pizza hut for 4 years. Their pepperoni was the best. Dominos is pretty good, but still lacking.

2 Likes

One of the better pepperoni’s I’ve had is, surprisingly, our local Roman’s. Probably because the add about my body weight in garlic…
But agreed, I’ve had but a handful of good pepperoni’s. Domino’s was decent, so long as you added extra cheese.
Man, I’m hungry now.

3 Likes

I was more referring to buying pepperoni to put on your home made pizza.

I still have to make myself a pizza oven one of these days.

1 Like

If I’ve had pepperoni I don’t remember. I’m pretty sure most places just use salami, which ends up tasting weird when its been in the pizza oven.

2 Likes

You’d know if it was pepperoni, it has a very distinct taste and flavour over salami that’s for sure. Salami is simply horse meat in comparison. My son specifically loves a simple cheese and pepperoni pizza, I prefer and opt for chorizo.

2 Likes

Holy moly, that post should come with a cuteness overload warning! :grin:

2 Likes