Torchlight III — Fame, Fortune, or the Future of the Frontier

For the bit that you did play @SIGSTART is it worth getting and playing, considering there will be a whipe?

2 Likes

It’s a public holiday! So I’m going to try and stream some Torchlight III gameplay again. I have a radio interview just after 11:00, so that gives us a good 1.5 hours (if my Internet plays along):

2 Likes

It’s a what? How did I miss that?

1 Like

Server downtime today so they can hopefully patch out the problems they’ve been having.

I’ll try to organise my thoughts into a longer post at a later stage, but the bottom-line is this: Torchlight III’s “Early Access” means open beta.

You can either view it as paying R225 for the privilege of helping Echtra with beta testing, or you can view it as pre-ordering a game you really want to support with the side benefit of gaining access to the open beta when you pre-order.

If you want a chance at giving feedback to potentially help shape what Torchlight III will become, then this is an opportunity to do so.

If you just want a new isometric lootgrinder to play, then rather wait. The bugs are still quite frustrating and there is clearly still a lot of work that has to be done on the game.

2 Likes

Yes, I just got so carried away about the possibility of playing TL3 that I kind of lost track of the early access thing. I have bought a lot of early access games and in some cases they really paid off in the long run. I just had to get into the same mindset here.

2 Likes

I bought Last Epoch, wanting to drown my ARPG cravings, played it for 3 days, loved it then found out that it is heading for a whipe this year along with its release.

Glad I bought it, looking forward to playing it on release. When it comes to ARPG and the random loot element, I really cannot see myself doing it all over again. If I find something nice, I want to keep it.

The game is highly polished, so it is looking good for a Q4 2020 release.

2 Likes

A “minor” patch to address some of the issues with the game.

Of major interest:

GENERAL

• The top 3 server crashes and top 2 client crashes by frequency have been fixed.

• Massively reduced spam messages between the game server and party service, increasing the speed that important party state updates will be processed.

• Ridiculous difficulty has been tuned so it will feel reliably dangerous, but not be a slog through massive monster health pools. Regular, champ, and boss monsters will now deal more damage to players on this difficulty, while player damage against monsters on Ridiculous is now only slightly less than on Painful difficulty.

• In rare cases players could enter character or pet names using non-latin glyphs which would be rejected by the service (good!) but allowed by the game client (bad!). This resulted in players having a character in their list that seemed legit but would never be allowed to enter the game world. If you have a character that has never been able to enter the game it is likely this bug; deleting that character and making a new one with an allowed name will clean this up.

CLASSES & SKILLS

• Temporarily removed the pull-in effect from Forged Vent: Vortex Bomb skill. Monsters were being moved into the collision of the character, frequently locking the player in place after using the skill. We have a fix for the collision behavior which needs more testing before release. When we release the improved collision, Vortex Bomb will get the pull-in effect restored.

• Forged characters no longer block other players from running through them

1 Like

I see the full release is coming 13 Oct, anyone played a bit more of it? any more thoughts?

2 Likes

I played it about 2 iterations ago. I did not go very far into it, just because of all the whipes. I am looking forward to playing the finally released game though, so pretty excited for the week before the 13th (6th) to start playing again, knowing my progress will not get whiped.

2 Likes

I just bought the game incase they also do the price increase thing - Will give it a try closer to release

1 Like

Which they did, so good call

1 Like

I paid the R225 - For me that isnt to bad - and its Torchlight even if it sucks I am a sucker and will support them

1 Like

I also haven’t played since the initial public beta / early access.

However, there are probably two major things that are still a concern as it was part of the core of the game:

1. Torchlight III’s interface looks like a mobile game. For an ARPG die-hard it is immediately off-putting and is a bad omen of what kind of game to expect.
  2. Character customisation was pretty shallow compared to the many other ARPGs currently in development.
3 Likes

Tuesday 6th of October at 19:00. I will wait until the next day to get on, wait for it to calm down a bit.

3 Likes

We started this last night just to check it out. I don’t get the hate, I am enjoying this so much already!

2 Likes

It is a lot of fun. I think most of the hate comes from the look and the simplicity compared to TL2. Will have to see how it plays out.

I sure enjoyed what I did play. I was trying to make a pet based class and it is possible.

I need to decide if I am going to play an online or offline game. I am leaning towards online since it will not be very long until someone works out a third party trading system. That always cuts down the grind for specific items a lot.

There is no definite word on modding but I am hoping that they allow it the full modding treatment that TL had.

2 Likes

I think a few things do need clarification - I had to google how to put items in pets inventory, I still need to google builds. I love the Dark Mage so far - aka level 6. The look is so pretty dammit - it feels smoother and the multiplayer is so much better than TL2. The only thing thusfar I want fixed is shared quest hand ins and doing - its not all shared at all.

1 Like

Played a bit. They have toned down the difficulty a bit, it is pretty easy now. Not sure if I am just imagining things but the graphics are a little sharper.

Playing a railmaster, wow but this is a NOISY class. Different though.

Finally planning the decorations on my fort, didn’t bother before since it would have been whiped.

3 Likes

I have a question with regards to the fort - can I sell the crap I dont want? Or break it down to its building blocks.

We started again last night as well, got to level 6 - playing on hard because normal is waaaaaay to easy, hard is better, we just wanted to check it before maybe going higher leveled.

I agree on the graphics - they are def sharper. I also scored a pet from the one boss and now the mess of Wyv collecting all pets starts all over again - as long as I do not get to the mode of WoW where I sat up watching the auction house.

1 Like

No idea about the fort, also going to change to hard. Normal is way too easy.

2 Likes