Unisa assignment help

I neeeeeeeed some help with an assignment - we have no textbook for this subject. And my googlefu is not strong at all:
The question:

There are different types of information systems in an organisation and these systems have to be integrated and managed in such a manner that they function in a coordinated and productive manner. As an information manager explain how you would go about to implement an information system.

1 Like

Workflow, ESB and micro services. All containerised with a strong CI/CD pipeline and automated testing.

110/100

2 Likes

Depends on the size of the organisation, but what @FarligOpptreden said in general.

Do you need to mention specific tools, e.g. Workday or SAP?

1 Like

See that is where I am lost - I have no idea, we are allowed to write a page to a page and a half. It is seen from the Admin point of view. But that is the question - we do not get enough information and our “lecturer” doesnt respond at all.

1 Like

To give you an idea this is the whole assignment:

A S SIGNMENT 02
Due date:

22 July 2019 Section to study :

Study this tutorial letter to answer the questions in this assignment. You may also consult other sources, such as books, articles and websites.
This is a written assignment. Try to be as thorough as possible in your discussion of different questions. Remember to acknowledge your sources to avoid plagiarism.
Total marks: 100 Unique number: 825872

QUESTION 1

There are different types of information systems in an organisation and these systems have to be integrated and managed in such a manner that they function in a coordinated and productive manner. As an information manager explain how you would go about to implement an information system.

(Your answer should be a minimum of one page and a maximum of 1½ pages long.) (25)

ADP3701/101/0/2019

QUESTION 2

Discuss problem-solving under the following headings:

a) The effect problem-solving has on the effectiveness of a manager b) The types of problems that need to be solved

c) The predictability of problems and their solutions d) The steps involved in problem-solving

e) Problem-solving aids

(Your answer should be a minimum of one page and a maximum of 1½ pages long.) (25)

QUESTION 3

If failure to complete the project satisfactorily would result in financial ruin, loss of market share, damaged reputation or the loss of future contracts, there is a strong case for project management. Explain and discuss the different forms of project management.

( You r answer should be a minimum of one page and a maximum of 1½ pages long.) (25)

QUESTION 4

Discuss different kinds of power and explain how your company can use each kind of power in the negotiation process.

(Your answer should be a minimum of one page and a maximum of 1½ pages.) (25)

Realistically, you can go the ERP route that @SIGSTART mentioned, but for small or medium sized companies it would be overkill and too expensive. I’d rather go the best of breed approach by looking at the best systems for each business concern (domain). You can get HR, payroll, accounting, helpdesk, communication and operational systems from various vendors or suppliers.

A key concern is whether you’ll be opting for cloud-based (software as a service, or SaaS) or on premise hosting, because that will impact your strategy for integrating the solutions you implement. Ideally, all the systems you’re dealing with will support some form of API-level integration that would eliminate the cloud vs on-premise argument, but the reality is few systems support out of the box, comprehensive and well document APIs to integrate with. Regardless, that’s a decision that would better be left to your technical decision makers in the company - not the information manager(s).

2 Likes

If one of you would be so kind as to quickly read what I wrote as an answer for that stupid first question I would greatly appreciate it.
I need to submit on sunday evening:

The fundamentals of an information system are the combination of software, hardware, personnel and the infrastructure that is part of a company or organisation. This is used to collect all data to be stored in the MIS (Management Information System). The hardware consists of anything electronic, from computers and laptops, to printers, scanners, phones and other network devices like routers. The software elements consist of any and all software that a company uses, from Microsoft Office, to any specific software that the company needs like Pastel for bookkeeping, or AutoCAD and Revit in my company since we are an architectural firm.

This is a very important part of the company since it makes it possible for staff to do their work, share data and save important information that is vital to the company.

There are various ways to implement an information system, I am basing mine on what worked in our small office.

Step one: Analysing of what is needed to create a proper flow of information and data. And why do we need to implement the information system, is there duplication of data, is there a communication flow error or is information just not passes along to the relevant people or departments. In our company we share data on a main server.

Step two: Design stage, where you start designing the flow of information. Is it a top down flow, down up or a type of flow where everyone gets to stay informed? This is also where you decide what hardware and software will be needed. In our case we need 4 computers, one for each staff member as well as one to serve as the server (main point for data collection and saving – so that everyone has access to it at all times.) Two printers – one for the admin manager and one for the owner. The other staff has access to the admin printer on the server at all times. Then we have the internet connection since we also use a lot of cloud services to share with clients and contractors. The last 2 pieces of equipment we have are a plotter to print our plans on and a VOIP system for our telephone system. This also includes all relevant software – email, office suite (word and excel), Pastel, Revit and AutoCAD.

Step three: Costing and approval, this is when we present all the necessary quotes and information to the owner so that he can approve the budget and purchase the software and equipment.

Step four: Implementation and instalment of hardware and software. This is also a testing phase to ensure we have all that we need and no surplus.

Step five: Evaluation and making changes as needed to keep the flow of information current and accessible for all.

1 Like

Apologies, been a VERY long day and I’m preparing for a drive down to Cape Town (again) at 04:00 tomorrow. So haven’t had much time for anything yet… Will see when I get back “home” to read through it and comment.

2 Likes

New help needed - anyone know how to do this? I am struggling

This smells like a proportionality question. Since I’m not familiar with the terminology used in the subject, I’m just guessing, but this is how I would approach it:

Industrial units account for 10000Ă·21000 of the total manufactured. Multiply that ratio by R1.5m to get R714 286 (rounded up).

Similarly, Domestic units account for 11000Ă·21000, multiply the ratio by R1.5m to get R785 714 (rounded down).

I.e. the answer to (3) is option 1.

For question 4, I think what they’re after is this:

Each unit sold abosorbs R75 of the fixed cost. So, assuming they sell every single unit, they recover R750 000 towards fixed overheads on Industrial units and R825 000 on Domestic units.

I calculated that by taking the R75 and multiplying by the number of units manufactured (10 000 and 11 000, respectively).

Then, if you take the total fixed overheads absorbed, 750k+825k=R1 575 000, and subtract the actual fixed overheads of R1 500 000, you are left with R75 000 extra.

Therefore, the answer is also (1): R75k over-recovered.

Of course, I’ve never done a formal financial management course, so I’m guessing at the terminology here.

1 Like

Dude its scary but that makes sense - more than the examples I have in my book!

I had no idea what to do !

The question is to calculate the contribution margin ratio for july

The formula is : Contribution ratio = contribution / sales x 100%
contribution = sales - variable cost
Sales - 500 x 500 = 250000
variable cost is where I get lost

I think I got it

1 Like

With the same info

the question now is:
Capture

@DieGrootHammer kan jy dalk help

Based on the research you have done, discuss the information needs of the organisation of your choice. Include the following in your answer:

ď‚· The information needs of the organisation (8)
ď‚· The information needs of top management (8)
ď‚· The information needs of functional managers (8)
ď‚· The information needs of supervisors (lower-level managers) (8)
ď‚· The flow of information in the organisation (8)

I am not 100% sure what they want here

1 Like

I have taken this and applied it to the company I work for:

Can someome please give me an idea if they think I am on the right path

1 Like

I think you’re on the right path.

2 Likes

Activity 9 [30]

Perform an internet search of the duties or production managers and indicate how you would use the productivity ratio to measure the production manager’s productivity with regard to each responsibility or duty.

Activity 10 [10]

Explain how you would apply qualitative and quantitative work performance measurement to the
administrative manager’s duties or responsibilities listed in activity 9 above.

1 Like