Upgrade Advice

I can concur on the screen upgrade. I was spoiled to receive 2x curved Samsung 27” 240Hz screens. They are phenomenal.

To add to the thread: My laptop can’t handle the 2 screens at their native refresh rate. It can handle 1 at 240Hz, but as soon as I plug the other one in, it can handle one at 144Hz and the other at 60Hz. So I want to get my desktop up and running again. I have a PSU and GTX 1080, but everything else needs to be replaced. Budget is around R10-11k. Any suggestions? I’d like as many cores as possible and preferably 32GB RAM.

A man can dream…

man o man I think its time well almost time I need to get a upgrade. I have a Idea on what I looking for but was wondering what you guys think. I only need a CPU/MOBO/RAM upgrade and my budget is around 6k ish

Have you tried EveTech’s upgrade bundles?

1 Like

yup was more like a thing to see what people would recommend to see if im on the same sort of page

What hardware are you coming from? What do you do with your computer? How much of a performance difference are you expecting and what would you measure it by? Suggestions without your context won’t really help you, but it might waste your R6k

I’m drooling over the 5600X and it hasn’t even released yet!

Im running a Old AMD AM3 CPU, DDR3, GPU I have a 1050ti.

I’d recommend looking at getting a full system 2nd hand off of Carb. You can usually get a good deal buying a combo deal. That way you can get an all round upgrade.

2 Likes

I need more HDD space for games (actually just for COD BO and MW) as the other HDD i have arent fast enough. I have an SSD that runs my OS, but its a small 240gb one.

I have space for 2 NMVe M.2 SSD’s on my Mobo and i think can add 1more normal SSD(but i would need to check this tonight)

Which is the better buy and NMVe M.2 SSD or a normal SSD?

1 Like

An NMVe M.2 SSD I think. It’s faster.

I’m no expert though. Probably wait for the more knowledgeable people.

2 Likes

An NMVe SSD is faster than a normal SSD, so when I got mine I cloned my C: drive onto it so that it hosts my Windows and a couple of games, and then put Warzone on my newly cleaned out SSD. It’s worth the difference in price, IMO.

2 Likes

As the others have said, an NVMe SSD is faster by a factor of 6-8 times. If you have a PCI-E 4 mobo with Ryzen 3xxx you can get even faster speeds.

2 Likes

Well this is what im looking at basically:

1 x 1TB SATA SSD

1 x 1TB NMVe SSD
1 Like

For that slight price difference I would go for the Crucial NVME drive, definitely! Crucial is a good brand and the extra speed is great. It’s certainly not a world of difference like going from HDD to SSD, but it is still an improvement.

(If I had the cash I’d totally go for that 1TB Crucial P1)

2 Likes

https://www.wootware.co.za/mushkin-mknssdhl1tb-d8-helix-l-1tb-m-2-2280-pcie-nvme-solid-state-drive.html

I’ve got the 500Gb one of these, and it’s awesome.

2 Likes

:scream:

Was about to say, when did SSD’s get so cheap? But I see that it is a seriously good discount price.

2 Likes

I’ve also got that one. Can definitely recommend it.

1 Like

I bought mine in September, though, I think that price is sticking.

1 Like