Upgrade Advice

Also have the same drive, albeit 500GB version. My data drive is a good old fashioned 1TB SATA SSD.

1 Like

I’m bringing this thread back from the dead…

My current PC is old, as in 2nd gen i7 old, and I’m planning to upgrade it soon. As you can tell from the age of my CPU I am completely clueless when it comes to the hardware of today. I only know the words Ryzen and RTX and one of those is definitely not applicable to me, at least not now.

With the GPU market being what it is right now, I am not planning to upgrade my GPU just yet. I still game at 1080p and not really in a rush to move to 1440p or 4K. So, what I essentially wanna know is would it be worth it to upgrade motherboard, RAM and CPU now and then save up to get a GPU at a later stage?

Full current specs:
i7 2600 (not the K - standard)
14GB RAM
4GB RX580
Corsair VS550 PSU

Planned upgrade path:
Ryzen CPU (aiming for a Ryzen 5, but maybe a 3)
16GB RAM probably
140-256GB SSD for OS
Probably a new PSU to be ready for new GPU

I’m also looking for suggestions of where to buy all this shiny new stuff. I only know of evetech selling upgrade kits but I’ve heard they’ve got terrible after sale support.

After I have all this stuff I want to start saving up for a new GPU and maybe try to get one by the end of this year. Would like to look at maybe a RTX3060 or 3050, depending on how they are and what prices are like then.

I’m sure with the new CPU and all that I can still play games comfortably at 1080p until I can get a GPU? At the moment newer games are struggling a bit in terms of smooth framerates.

2 Likes

I think you will get a framerate bump with just a CPU upgrade alone. I did the same thing many years back. Went from an AM3 FX8350 to a Ryzen 2700X and kept my R9 290 GPU.

I’d go for a Ryzen 5 instead of a 3 and I’d check what Intel are up to as well.
For RAM, it’s probably best to stick to DDR4 right now.
I’ve bought two Superflower PSUs and recommend them.

For purchasing, use Wootware, Rebeltech or Dreamware Tech.

3 Likes

Seems like RTX3080 prices have finally fallen a bit. It might be the influx of 12GB models coming in, but this is the first time in more than a year that I’ve seen a brand new RTX3080 for less than R20k on the market. All within 4 DAYS of me ordering mine… C’est la vie.

2 Likes

LOL, I feel your pain! Bought a seperate mobo, CPU and cooler last hear and a week later the exact same items were on bundle special at a different retailer!

I would probably only uograde once a new chioset comes out and then probably only get the 3000 RTX card…

Time that my wife earns a bigger salary!

3 Likes

So I did some window shopping at both rebeltech and wootware and came up with the two following options (although I’m not sure if all the components I chose at each place go together :stuck_out_tongue: )

1. Rebeltech
    Ryzen 5600X Vermeer - R6149
    Asus Prime A520-K - R1099
    ADATA 16GB DDR4 3200 - R1269
    ADATA 128GB SSD R499
    Corsair CX650M PSU - R1369
    Cooler Master H410R CPU cooler - R489
    Total - R10 874 plus R150 for shipping = R11 024

2. Wootware
    Ryzen 5600X - R5399
    Asus Prime B550M-K - R1399
    G.Skill Ripjaw 16GB DDR4 3200 - R1359
    Addlink S70 256 GB SSD - R639
    EVGA 650BR 80 Plus PSU - R1099
    Cooler Master RR212S CPU Cooler - R872
    Total - R10 767 plus calculated shipping = R10 878

Are these good options considering I want to get a GPU later? Do the components even go together? I’m obviously leaning to wootware for cheaper price and bigger SSD.

2 Likes

I’d also go for the Wootware option. The Ryzen comes with its own decent cooler which will be perfectly fine unless you’re wanting to do some overclocking. I’d take that money saved and get a better SSD. Put it towards getting a decent 500GB NVME drive. The PCI-E 3.0 drives are usually good value for money. Like this Western Digital WDS500G3B0C WD Blue SN570 500GB M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe 3.0 Solid State Drive - Wootware

1 Like

Yeah the Ryzen coolers are decent. I got one (RGB even!) with my 3700x and I’m more than happy with it. Sadly the 5800x doesn’t come with a cooler anymore…

1 Like

Yeah I also heard from @Solitude that I won’t need an aftermarket cooler. So I’ve changed the PSU to a superflower modular 650W. Might get a slightly better motherboard or ssd then.

Worked this out now: If everything is compatible it looks good.

Will only order in a week or more though.

1 Like

Look what I ordered 2 weeks ago :smiley:

Its the 5600 G, not X, but can vouch for the rest playing 1080p games without fault, while I have an AMD RX580 8GB GPU in it. I am running it off an old 550W PSU.

1 Like

Haha awesome. I also have an RX580 but only the 4GB version. Still, it should be fine for 1080p for now.

Another data point for you: This 5600X on the stock cooler hits 88C in dirt rally 2.0 with a 3080, 5 fans running at 60%. And that’s a Phanteks P400 series chassis, mesh front. Room is badly ventilated, and saturday, the room itself, easily hit 38C, when it was 36C outside :sweat: :sweat_drops:

2 Likes

I can agree with the stock cooler running hot. I used it with my 2700X for a bit, but it did get loud and hot in many applications. I eventually got an aftermarket one.

AMD is revising their lineup again, but this appears to be with the 5800X first and the usual stock issues will likely ensue.

I stuck with the stock cooler on the 5600G and I have not had any problems. Like I said though I run 1080p games and most of them are pretty light. It does look flimsy and I thought eventually I might stick a bigger cooler in there, but not yet. My case is very airy and the room big, so again not really a big problem… Yet…

2 Likes

Hmm. Well, I have a 4GB RX580 and I game on a 1080p LG TV so I don’t think that will be a problem right off the bat for me. Thanks though. I can always get a aftermarket cooler later if I need it.

Gonna get this case with my build:

2 Likes

I’ve got that case’s Black cousin, and it’s awesome. So nice to build in.

3 Likes

Here is the final list of stuff I’m getting (ordered and on the way):

*Not getting that case anymore. Going to get a different Corsair case from my brother.

7 Likes

damn, i hate seeing that 5600x and what i paid for it less than 2 months ago (R6200)

1 Like

Don’t use the SSD to its full capacity or you risk choking it. Because its performance gets affected, mainly write speeds, it is suggested to have a minimal 25 percent of your storage space free for improved performance.

4 Likes

Yeah SSD will be purely for OS. I might move whatever game I’m currently playing over for faster load times, but I’m not too bothered by that.

Apparently the case I’m getting only has space for 2 regular old fashioned HDD’s which is a bummer since I have 4 currently. I’ll get rid of the 1TB I’m using as my OS drive right now though and figure out a way to fit the other 3 in there.

This is the case I’m getting:

new case

1 Like