Valve's Steam Deck

2 Likes

3 Likes

I actually looked this up yesterday. But I’m still fine with my tablet streaming app from pc, so fuck you valve you anti-non-US/EU thundercuntmonkeys.

3 Likes

They’ve never shipped any of their hardware to us so I wouldn’t hold my breath. We will probably have to hope it’s available through some other distributer eventually.

1 Like

I bought the gamepad here, and they were selling the original steam link for a hot second.

3 Likes

I got a Steam Link and a Steam Controller way back in 2017. But that was from Amazon and I think I had to use a freight forwarder company to get it deliver to SA.

It’s quality kit that still works flawlessly.

This point needs further clarification please. What app? What tablet? How do you set it up on Steam?

1 Like

Install steam link on a device that’s on the same network as your computer that has steam open. Pair the device to the computer. Play games. Defaults are fine usually. :man_shrugging:

Great for casual games :ok_hand:

2 Likes

How did I not know this app exists? Thank you Sir.

1 Like

If you have a Samsung TV you can also install the Steam Link there and stream games from your PC to the TV. I’d recommend connecting the TV via ethernet though.

2 Likes

The biggest draw for me to the Steam Deck is the price! Look at some of those handheld computers, some with similar or even better specs, and they are more than double the price!

The Steam Deck starts from $399, but realistically we should use the $650 model for comparisons.

You can find devices like the OneXPlayer Next, starting at $999 and up.

Or the Aya Neo Pro, over $1000.

And the GPD Win 3 starting over $1000 and ships from AliExpress… Ahem.
https://www.gpd.hk/gpdwin3

Sure, they have various small details making them less and more interesting that the Steam Deck, but they are VERY expensive for a handheld! And then I am not even talking about Android devices which seem to be popping out of the woodwork at a rate equivalent to woodborers at my mother-in-law’s house in Durban Berea (if you know, you know!)

I seriously considered a device like this so that the kids can play my PC collection without hogging the TV. I ended up with a PC in the lounge, something we still have grumbles about in the house. But I saved a LOT of money that way.

3 Likes

Quite a big fellah!

3 Likes

Thats huge!

That’s what sh…

2 Likes

While I am still somewhat skeptical of Valve making a successful hardware product, the early revies do sound very promising. They don’t have the best track record when it comes to hardware launches, so hope they learned from their mistakes.

1 Like

You can now 3D print your own Steam Deck! Officially!

1 Like

Gabe on the road, delivering the first batch of Steam Decks to some very surprised gamers!

The first Steam Decks have been delivered! - YouTube

Not sure who is the most awkward in this video - the giant nerd handing them out, or the giant nerds receiving them :smiley:

3 Likes

Steam Deck is one year old!

But still…

:frowning:

2 Likes

Finally got my hands on a steam deck. :raised_hands: Mostly remote playing games, that I have installed on the pc, like Borderlands 3, Cyberpunk, Jedi Survivor. It’s great for that. Tried God of War with an on-device-install. Enjoying it. Haven’t fiddled much. Also tend to not show fps counter. If you can’t tell it’s low fps or stuttering, then the fps counter probably isn’t that important.

First impressions are that it gets the job done if you have no pc, but if you do have a pc, it frees you to move around much more at home. It feels premium. The software experience on steam exclusively, is flawless so far. Next tests will be trying other launchers. Come to think of it, it ran about as well as that steamos install from a few months ago (minus the need to change resolutions all the time).

4 Likes