Valve's Steam Deck

Valve has announced the Steam Deck, a handheld gaming PC that runs your entire Steam library and starts at just $399. Steam Deck starts shipping December 2021 to the United States, Canada, European Union, and the United Kingdom. More regions coming in 2022.

The Steam Deck has a form factor similar to that of a slightly larger Nintendo Switch but with the capabilities of a full gaming PC. It runs a modified version of Valve’s SteamOS, complete with a new console-like interface for easy navigation of both the Steam store and your Steam library, but it also provides access to an unrestricted computer desktop where any third-party applications can be installed (including non-Steam games or launchers).

The Steam Deck has a 7-inch, 1280x800 resolution, 60hz LCD screen, a custom AMD APU featuring a 4-core, 8-thread CPU paired with 8 RDNA 2 compute units for the GPU, and 16 GBs of LPDDR5 RAM. Practically speaking, that makes it a substantial amount stronger than the Switch, allowing it to run modern games impressively well.

If you’re in one of the regions that the Steam Deck will launch in you can Wishlist the device now. For the rest of the world, all we can do at the moment is set a reminder to be advised when it will be available in our region.

Get all the technical specs and other details on the official Steam Deck site:

4 Likes

But i can already stream to a tablet and use a proper steam controller :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

How long until they discontinue this?

5 Likes

Being a Switch Lite owner that has primarily played games on it that are available on Steam as well (due to the ridiculous regional pricing for Nintendo games), I can back this. The moment Amazon starts selling them, I’ll most likely place an order. Local pricing for the $399 option wil probably be around R8000, with shipping and taxes included. It makes it not much more expensive than a Switch, with arguably better “switchability”.

2 Likes

It looks really really nice. I don’t see space for it in my life but for people on the go this is ideal!

1 Like

This is cool and all but I’ll stick to my Switch. The biggest reason I have one is for great Nintendo exclusives which this won’t run anyway.

2 Likes

Sorry, I haven’t gone through the entire documentation and whatnot but is this a stand-alone device, like a Switch?

1 Like

It’s essentially a handheld PC.

2 Likes

Yip. It’s a PC in handheld Switch-like form. Can be connected to a monitor and mouse/keyboard through a dock, but you wouldn’t need to.

1 Like

31 FAQs answered.

1 Like

I’ve heard this new version of Steam OS is running Arch, BTW.

Fitting for a gaming console to use an OS with a software management tool called pacman.

2 Likes

New promo video, no new details:

I wonder if Valve will ever do Regional Pricing :smiley: How does the base price compare to a Switch? $399 is about R5900. If I had that sort of money, and as much as I want one of these, I would rather put it towards upgrades for the desktop. The other two cost ~R7800 and ~R9600.

Reservation still “not available in your country.”

2 Likes
2 Likes

I’ve never cared enough for modern handhelds, but… lately I’ve been streaming games to the iPad and lammin in bed farming borderlands 3 bosses and force pushing storm troopers off of cliffs :joy: So I guess, this might be a good fit for me. But alas, america doesn’t give a flying fuck about africa, unless they’re raping our resources.

3 Likes

FTFYou

2 Likes

Global supply chain say howdy!

3 Likes

Happy cake day BTW!

1 Like

Steam Deck will go on sale starting on 25 February, with the first batch of handhelds set to ship from 28 February. In a blog post, Steam says customers will begin getting invites “shortly after 10 am PT” on the 25th and will have 3 days to confirm and pay for their reserved unit.

Steam Deck starts shipping initially to the United States, Canada, the European Union, and the United Kingdom. More regions “to follow soon”.

1 Like

2 Likes