What are some unusual/unique games that you have played?

I was thinking about one of the games I used to play on my Dad’s old Atari XL800 console and recalled one of the more unusual games.

In Kennedy Approach you take on the role of an air traffic controller. Your job is to safely direct planes through your airspace control area, either setting them on a safe course and altitude as they pass through, or direct them to land at the various airports. To do this you select the plane, adjust it’s bearing and altitude and then you hear the air traffic controller issue instructions to the aircraft. The plane will then start descending, ascending, turning or landing as per your instructions.

The game can get quite intense at the busy air spaces where there are many planes to control. The fact that it takes time for the planes to alter course and change altitude can make it nerve wracking as you watch to see if your instructions were the best course and helped to avoid an air accident. On top of that you have to account for the amount of fuel a plane still has remaining. It’s impressive that a game that looks like this…

…can be so immersive and gripping!

Here’s a bit more info on the game on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kennedy_Approach

It’s not everyday you get to play a game where you perform the job of an air traffic controller - what other unusual and unique games have you played?

3 Likes

I remember we used to think the objective was pooping on cars, until one day I realized you bounced off the empty nest area and that it must have some purpose, and eventually figured out I needed to build the nest.

1 Like

This one perhaps?

1 Like

A game that I have been playing on and off:

It might have similar mechanics to some other games, but as a whole I have definitely never played a game like this.:

this is the free version that I have been playing:

1 Like