What are your strange and bizarre flavour pairings?

I think many of you need to take some pregnancy tests, because these combonations are not normal. I only opened this thread because I read that Anthony Bourdain was turning over in his grave so vigorously it was causing some minor earth tremors.

5 Likes

My personal favourite pizza, so much so that the local pizza place knows it as my order:

Chicken, bacon, pineapple and banana (and obviously tomato base and loads of cheese)

Another favourite meal, that makes my wife cringe, is mielie pap, with milk, butter and sugar. You drink out the milk leaving the sweet pap behind. Then scoop in a big helping of savoury mince. Enjoy!

Or, banana salad with cut bananas, mayo and condensed milk. Lovely side dish!

Or just for a snack: a slice of cheese with a dash of syrup.

I see a sweet trend…

3 Likes

Which pizza place? It is hard to find a decent place with banana as an option. Usually when I find a decent pizza place, I go overboard and order a lot until they start neglecting me with the toppings. Then I take a break to give them a couple of weeks to think about what they’ve done before ordering again. Unfortunately, they usually don’t survive the 2-3 week break and close down during that time. These days I usually take the weekend and just make my own. Much cheaper, lots of toppings and I can do about 4 in 40 minutes.

As for the pizza, when it comes to chicken on pizza, I prefer to switch out the banana for a sweet & sour sauce. These days I try to stay away from bacon and salami on pizza. The saltiness spoils it for me. Used to love it, but not anymore

This is a must for curry and rice.

2 Likes

I agree with all of these. I’ve had them all as well.

I can add a slightly odd side dish I had recently at a restaurant that blew me away and topped the meal even above the main - stiff mieliepap with shredded biltong! It was heavenly.

I also add grated cheese to my peanut butter and banana toasted sandwiches, which my wife cringes at.

Then I also love a crunchy salad (with rocket, cucumber and cherry tomatoes) on a slightly toasted bagel, with a light spread of cream cheese and topped with chili-mayo. Wife also doesn’t understand that one.

3 Likes

Coincidence? :open_mouth:

This just sounds delish!

2 Likes

I’m with @DieGrootHammer on this one - you people are weird as heck! Some of these combinations are just wrong. Unnatural. Bad.

But if it makes you happy, all power to ya! Still weird though.

6 Likes

Perfect Pizza in Salt Rock.

3 Likes

We have a Pizza Perfect chain here and they’re my fave, just not very good on the bank account.

2 Likes

First time I had a look at this thread and you all need help. I agree with @GregRedd

5 Likes

I am proud of my weirdness! I don’t think mine is as bad some others

3 Likes

Sweetcorn on toast.

4 Likes

On the borderline…

2 Likes

Isn’t this normal? We often have sweetcorn and/or baked beans for breakfast. Putting it on toast feels natural.

1 Like

I thought so too, but when I tell people about it they seem shocked or surprised. Then again, I love, I mean really love, mieliebrood. My wife makes it regularly.

2 Likes

I assume you have made jacket potatoes with sweetcorn, beans and tuna?

1 Like

I won’t lie, that sounds… disgusting.

2 Likes

Its a big seller in the uk

I could never handle the smell!