What do you do when flying?

Flying takes up a lot of time. You get there 1 or 2 hours early, you wait to board, you have time on the flight, and then you wait to depart. Maybe you wait longer when there is a delay.

What do you do?

I see some people take books along and some watch series on their ipads.

I just sit and wait. You’ve gotta be able to do nothing sometimes.

3 Likes

I’ve never been on a plane my whole life. :cry:

My dad normally read I know hammer takes his switch and I used my 3ds on a bus :smiley:

1 Like

I don’t really fly all that often, the times I have it hasn’t felt all that long because you do the check-in then move through to the departure area, grab a coffee, check out of the newspapers.

Most times I fly with someone, so I end up talking to my companion throughout most of the wait and flight. It’s uncommon for me as an introvert to do so. If I do fly alone, I just listen to music. I do like scouring the bookshops while waiting to board…

Im freakin amazing at daydreaming so I go faaaaaarr away in my head.

when that energy runs out I research random stuff on my phone or whatsapp funny voice notes to my friends.

On the plane I read the inflight mag or daydream again.

I always have a PSP handy but am too shy to take it out in public. weird hey?

I normally crap my pants! I hate flying. I know it is irrational, but I almost freak out every time. Problem is my wife loves travelling, and I love her, so I need to go on a plane waaaay more often than what I would want…

1 Like

Not at all. I would love to own a PSP (or Switch!) and play on a plane, train or bus, but I know I’d be feel too self-conscious about it. I guess it’s a social stigma associated with gamers and the way your personal hobby (and performance therein) is so exposed in the close quarters of a flight…

Little routines help. I like to eat a decent meal before a flight. Then I tend to make sure my phone and laptop has games on them. Plus I take my kindle.

I was flying last night. Then I woke up… (seriously, I didn’t feel like walking to the office so I just levitated and flew there)

Oh, you’re talking about planes…

2 Likes

Flown once from dbn to ct and back in 2011
Getting there I ate a packet of crisps and had a cool drink.
Getting back I spent 90mins staring into space shaking after airport security searched me thoroughly - thankfully clothed, as I set the alarm off twice.
Then I spent 30mins praying as we had bad turbulence and a moerse storm when coming into land. Clouds where so thick I couldn’t see the end of the wing.

Haven’t flown since.

I’ve flown so much that I’ve got a system:

I start off the time at the airport by listening to podcasts or audiobooks while sitting and chilling in one of the lounges before the flight.

On the flight I have my Switch for playing games, cellphone for listening to audio things, and then tablet for movies should the flight not have in-flight media entertainment.

Now it just depends on the length of the flight. Within SA the flights are too short, so it’s Switch only. Africa flights it’s Switch and audiobook listening.

3 Likes

where do you in Africa and how is it all?

1 Like

Yeah, having a system that works for you is key. Regional/domestic flights (up to about 3 hours) having a single activity lined up for the duration of the flight is key. Flights to Europe from SA you need 2 to 3 activities and try to factor in sleeping. USA and Asia bound flights tend to be hell.

1 Like

I’ve been to Kenya, Tanzania and Zambia. It’s always been for business, so haven’t really taken time to explore the country, but the bits that I do see are actually not that bad, apart from Tanzania. Zambia feels like a South African province more than an African country, Kenya is pretty and surprisingly tech savvy. Plus crime rates are much lower in Kenya and Zambia than you might expect.

1 Like

Local flights, I have my tablet to read on or watch tv shows on. I normally just grab some water or coffee whilst waiting at the gate. If i am watching something, I leave one ear out, anxiety of missing the announcements especially since I can’t always hear what they say.

I am fine on the plane it self, especially local flights. I do get claustrophobic on international flights. And I always sit on an window, emergency exit or on the aisle.

Ive had panic attacks on long flights, but I know the signs, so I signal a hostess or whatever they are called these days and they take me to the front of back where I can have a freak out in private.

I can normally stave them off if I distract myself properly. The one thing i struggle with on long flights is sleeping.

Key things (and this is how I justify stuff) :

• I don’t like airplane food, plus food will be “regional” based on port of departure (this is NB if you are a fussy eater) . Thus I eat a hearty meal before a long (4+ hour) flight. Shorter flights I tend to just have a coffee and a sandwich. Again, this is mostly because I might just say no to both choices of inflight meals.
  • Always have a non-battery operated backup form of entertainment. This is important on certain flights, e.g. Cape Town to Atlanta is a 20+ hour flight. Cellphone battery will last 2-3 hours when gaming, Kindle Fire about 6-7 hours, laptop 3-4 hours. That’s fine if you can and plan on sleeping 5-6 hours. In-flight entertainment can be decent on international flights, however you should NEVER bank on this being good or available. I had a 12 hour flight and the in-flight entertainment system died 90min into the flight. Would have lost my mind without some planning.
  • Depending on you, the seat choice can make or break your flying experience . Especially if you want to sleep. I’m a deep sleeper and I require little to no comforts to fall asleep. In fact I could probably sleep through the apocalypse while lying on the floor of an abandoned warehouse. Things that do help though is to get warm, cover your eyes, wear earplugs and get that seat down as low as possible. There is less engine noise when you’re seated on the wing or in front of the wing. If you have the extra money, business class is worth it when flying 12+ hours.
  • I like aisle seats because I can get up and move around. This also helps with sanity as much as it helps with ensuring good blood flow. Consider wearing compression socks. Not only do they look sexy, they really help.
  • Very little you can do will actually bug the airline staff. If you want water. Press the button. Hungry, press the button. Plane has a charging point or USB port and you can’t seem to find it, press the button. Need an extra blanked? You guessed it, press the button. Honestly, the worst things they will say is “no, not right now. We’ll come by in 15 minutes”

and lastly, for the sake of other people, have your documentation ready.

5 Likes

This guy has been on a plane before!!

All very good suggestions and comments.

2 Likes

Flying post-kid is much different than flying pre-kid.

1. You have one or two pieces of extra luggage (checked-in suitcase with clothes and things for them, since they need a lot as they sometimes go through several sets of clothes per day & a small backpack with stuff in it for the flight like snacks, wet wipes, books or toys, etc.) plus you have the car chair that also goes with. Fun times.
  2. For us, we have to look at buying flights with times outside of his “I’m tired and thus grumpy and impossible, especially if you take away the tablet with my movie on it” hours. Which generally means not during midday (12 - 2pm) and obviously later in the day (7pm onwards).
  3. Pre-flight you have little time to yourself, you tend to play with them to try and tire them out a little bit, so he will want to sit still on the flight. If he doesn’t want to sit still, you won’t have a fun flight on your hands.
  4. During the actual flight, we keep him busy with a book or 2, and then when allowed we’ll use my wifes tablet and put a movie or something on for him. I’ll usually read a book on my phone during this time and my wife will sleep (she is like @PsychoFish in that regard; sleep anywhere, anytime).
  5. We always prebook our seats when we buy tickets, it just makes it much, much simpler. Wife usually takes the window seat, son in the middle and I will take the aisle for that little bit of extra leg room.

We’ve only flown Domestic, so I have no comments on flying International apart from that I do not look forward to ever doing it with a small child.

1 Like

Having recently done an international flight, Cape Town to London via Dubai, which was 9h30min and 7h40min respectively with a 3 hour layover in Dubai with a 4 year old. I can honestly suggest only one thing for flying with kids : Patience

Pushed quite a bit for my normal routine with the kid though, it was relatively well received. Funny thing with airlines is that you can sometimes push the envelope with them. We were allowed two bags of 23kg each as checked in luggage. Then I was allowed to have a backpack AND a laptop bag. Wife was allowed a handbag and a backpack, kid was allowed a backpack and carry-on luggage. So that left us with an additional 2x7kg bag per person.

Also check with the airline if they have a kids program (very common on international flights) as they’ll get special blankets, headphones, crayons, colouring in books, stickers, activities, etc.

3 Likes