What else do you do during loadshedding?

Say you live in an apartment, or you don’t have solar panels, or running the genny has become too expensive. What else do you do during loadshedding? Does anyone play boardgames? By candlelight, perhaps?

Today I defrosted the freezer and sharpened all the knifes in the kitchen.

4 Likes

I read manga on my phone or watch youtube, with the 6 hour loadshedding I found a 28hour video of someone playing the newest God of War with no commentary and they get all the collectibles and secrets. Sometimes I just straight up take a 2 hour nap if I am tired enough.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t be able to nap. I even struggle to fall asleep.

3 Likes

Watch downloaded YouTube videos on my phone, play switch or sleep. Usually sleep.

3 Likes

I can shout out two games I recently found via Google Play Pass: Beholder and Rebuild 3

Beholder is an ad enture game where you have are in a dystopian world working for a immoral and corrupt autocratic government. Your task is to manage a block of flats by moving in people, doing tasks for them and the ministry, spy on them and report their every move. The story forks into multiple paths as you get challenged morally and emotionally when you need to choose between doing the right thing, doing your tasks correctly, or saving and helping you family. Lots of replayability, good looking game, easy to navigate on mobile, and excellent sound design.

Rebuild 3 is a city building management game where you have to secure parts of a city during the zombie apocalypse. You have to search and find various survivors, build farms and apartments and churches and bars and research labs and many other buildings to please your community. While this is happening, neighboring communities might threaten you, zombies will attack and random events may trigger some interesting consequences. The story mode sees you move from one town to the next, helping the people in each town, plus there is a random game that auto-generated a city to play in. While the interface isn’t very intuitive, the graphics, story and gameplay more than make up for it.

5 Likes

Depending on the time of day and or shedding.

If it is light out and I am not working I will likely spend some time with the kids, kickball outside, go for a walk, play duck-duck-goose, etc.

If darkness has set in, I will likely sit and browse on my phone, I also don’t like silence so I will often have music playing from it. I don’t want to watch things on small form factors. Alternatively, I will get out the laptop and perhaps watch some YouTube or jam a little on the laptop.

I also don’t like to be idle, so I will always try to make the best use of the time, take a shower, do some housework, take out the rubbish, water the lawn, etc.

4 Likes

I’m lucky to own several handheld devices to play games on, but sometimes I hate needing to “save” those games for when the power goes out. I consider them to be part of my main gaming platforms.

That said, I obviously do use them when the power is out. Currently enjoying SMTV and BoTW.

I also try and have a shower during loadshedding, and am trying to get some exercise in too. I’m also thinking about borrowing a Kindle or getting better reading lights for physical books.

3 Likes

Ooh nice, As a Persona fan, I’ve always wanted to try some of the other megaten games

2 Likes