What is your preferred Audio Output for gaming?

• Stereo Speakers
  • Headphones
  • Surround Sound
  • TV/Monitor Speaker

0 voters

Although I still have the old 5.1 Surround Sound PC speaker system I bought in Matric my preferred means of audio output for the past few years has been headphones especially since I got my SteelSeries Siberia v2 headset.

What do you primarily use?

I prefer using headphones, although there are times when it’s more convenient to use speakers instead - e.g. mp gaming with controllers. I currently use a combo of headphones + speakers and use a key to tap to switch between outputs.

1 Like

I use headphones the majority of the time.

I have 5.1 speakers but they’re set to stereo.

Speakers are my favorite. A sub gives bass that most headphones can’t

1 Like

I have a 5.1 speaker setup (of which I only use the sub and 2 satellites and my audio for my speakers runs through HDMI (plugged into my monitor), but I prefer headphones for private listening.

What’s more? You get more definition listening through headphones than speakers.
The only way to get the same amount of definition through speakers - is raising the volume way up.

My PC and PS3’s audio runs through HDMI into my monitor, then from the monitor to the speakers.

PC/Heaphones listening: it’s plugged into the front audio out.
PS3/Headphones listening: it’s plugged into an adaptor for my PS3, which to this day, I don’t know where I got it from.

Audio from my monitor’s Audio out is very flat. The adapter makes it much more “punchy” and loud.

1 Like

I would prefer to use a good, small surround speaker setup, like the Z906, but logistically its not possible. I mostly play when my kids are asleep and so need to keep it quiet. So I end up playing with a set of HyperX headphones. They are great, but not so great as to make me drool.

This is hooked up to my Astro MixAmp, which is simply amazing! A small little knob handles the balancing between chat audio and game audio, which comes in so handy when you quickly need to up the game volume to hear footsteps, but do not want to hear your buddy scream at his cat jumping on the keyboard.

1 Like

As 90% of all my gaming happens on a console, my audio output is 5.1 surround sound. Though I do have headphones for PC use, I prefer having 5.1 surround sound for gaming.

I also do most of my gaming when the kids are asleep.
I have a pair of skull candy SKYLR’s which I love, the xbox edition ones.
Only issue is after 90mins I need a head break. Really want a pair of gaming sennies

Mainly use my headphones for playing games or watching movies when the wife is sleeping and i don’t want to wake her, otherwise I’ll use my speakers the rest of the time.

Headset when gaming - just to keep convos to myself and not share it to everyone in the house.

Kak speakers when watching a movie

1 Like

I prefer not having a headset attached to my head even the most comfortable ones become a irritation after a while so unless its late or the SO is busy concentrating I use surround speakers

I use headphones when pc gaming and console gaming. It just feels more immersive.

1 Like

i just use the tv speakers, its adequate as i dont like stuff thats too loud, the only time i use my 2.1 system is when i play a game like gears or halo or watch an action movie etc.

I love using headphones as I get all the audio without bothering anyone.
My wife gets pissed at the repetetive sounds in games.

just out of intrest, my wife played AC syndicate with headphones on the other day. she could not believe the sounds she missed. she was seriously in awe

Surround sound speakers. Don’t like headphones.