What Podcasts do you listen to, if any?

The biggest thing keeping me from going back to Android is my Apple Watch. It has really become an extension of my communication during the day, with my phone being on silent 100% of the time. I only rely on the watch for pulsing against my wrist when I’m receiving calls, emails, messages, calendar notifications, etc… and being able to trash mails I’m not interested in reading immediately so I have less to work through when I get around to it. The reminder every so often to stand up is also handy and having a constant fitness tracker on me is never a bad thing… It even once warned me that my heart rate was abnormally high for a couple of minutes at one stage, when I actually realized I was feeling dizzy and ended up getting a bit of a fever.

So no, Apple has good solidly gotten me into their ecosystem purely on the accessory to their phones.

1 Like

Dude I cannot even think of living without my apple watch. So Apple needs to bring out a big iphone x variant this year. I have tried the gear s3, but its not as good as the apple watch. forgot my watch on the charger this morning and my whole day has felt wrong.

1 Like

I listen to The Fat Wallet Show Local Money show as well as JSE Direct

Thats pretty much it. Download and listen at 2x speed.

1 Like

So You are not so smart is a really good podcast. I subbed to them. Will have to work my way through their back catalog now.

1 Like

Thought that might be up your ally, it has that hmmm mind shift thing going for it.

I have way too many podcasts in my player, and way too little time to listen to them sadly. Quite a few duplicates from those already mentioned, but a couple of others that I have:

• What The Tech Podcast
  • Game Scoop!
  • The Daily Show with Trevor Noah Ears Edition
  • WTF with Marc Maron
  • Anna Faris is Unqualified
  • 99% Invisible
  • Freakonomics Radio
  • How Did This Get Made?
  • Invisibilia
  • HCIFHY? (How Can I Fucking Help You?)
  • Futuropolis by Popular Science
  • Fact & Science Fiction
  • Malcolm Gladwell’s Revisionist History
  • Those Conspiracy Guys

I use the Spreaker app on my iPhone. Can download for offline listening, set to auto-download on new episodes, restrict download to use wifi only and not cell data, create playlists, and track and listen to your favourite shows directly on the website itself if you don’t want to use the app.

I can’t find every podcast mentioned in this thread on Spreaker though (like Glitch Please, although other Roosterteeth casts are there). And nothing local other than some random stuff when you search “South Africa”.

App is much the same on both iOS and Android:

1 Like
  • 99% Invisible
  • Dear Hank & John
  • Nerdist / ID10T
  • Occasional news outlet-specific podcasts.

My current listen library.

3 Likes

IGN Unlocked
IGN Gamescoop
IGN Beyond
IGN NVC
Autoblog Podcast
Joe Rogan Experience
Eurogamer Podcast

When do you all listen to your podcasts? I have my few but I don’t manage to get through them often.

1 Like

Generally when I’m in the mood, it really depends. I listen to most or all when I’m at work anyway. So if I need to focus or concentrate, I generally won’t listen to a podcast that is too ‘heavy’ or thoughtful.

Some stuff, specifically spirtual content, I will listen to first thing with my morning coffee when I get to work.

1 Like

The level of necro on this forum is over 9000 I love it.

JRE - Joe Rogan
Congratulations - Chris D’elia
Your Moms House - Tom Segura and Christina P
Tigerbelly - Bobby Lee
Whiskey Ginger - Andrew Santino

Yeah, I got sucked into the comedy vortex.

Non-comedy podcasts:
Radio Lab
Co-optional
Startalk - Neil DeGrasse Tyson discuses astrophysics
The Origins Podcast - Laurence Krauss interviews deep thinkers
Recently started listening to Sean Carroll’s Mindscape. Confusing quantum stuff, meaning of the universe, etc.
Used to listen to the RT Podcast until I realized they talk about absolutely nothing and plane stories for 90 mins.

2 Likes

I don’t feel like typing :sweat_smile:
I get through more when there’s bad traffic to and from work. Only listen in the car, or while working.

1 Like

Recently been listening to the Huberman Lab Podcast.
https://www.youtube.com/c/AndrewHubermanLab

Pretty interesting ideas to consider sometimes. Useful to listen to on long trips.

1 Like

Can’t believe I missed a fellow SSH listener when you posted! I listen to less podcasts these days, but I always make sure to get Selfhosted playing soon after it releases.

My current list is:

• Selfhosted
  • Linux Unplugged
  • Smartless
  • WTF1
2 Likes

I don’t get to listen to podcasts as much as I’d like, but if and when I do it’s usually something along these lines:

1 Like

Ah mah gahd!

Lockdown ruined my podcast vibe, so I don’t bother to check every day, but I do catch up every few weeks, as one must, if you care about technology. And even then it’s usually, only around things, that I can actively try out and see what the fuss is about. Linux unplugged used to be the place you go, to learn about things first. They’re a little late to the party of late, though. Or maybe I’ve leveled up my circles of news. :man_shrugging:

I have to checkout Smartless.

2 Likes

Smartless is more entertainment, but with some interesting interviewees sprinkled in between. It piqued my interest because it’s hosted by Jason Bateman and Will Arnett, and I’m a massive Arrested Development fan. Sean Hayes also hosts.

Some of the more interesting people (ie. outside of acting and hollywood filmmaking) includes:

• Daniel Ricciardo
  • Neil DeGrasse Tyson
  • Kamala Harris
  • Gustavo Dudamel
  • Darius Rucker
  • Ted Sarandos
  • Jessica Meir
  • David Byrne
  • Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood
  • Micheal Lewis
  • Did I mention Daniel Ricciardo?