What resolution do you use for work?

Good day all,

Just wanted to get a bit of research and insight to try and establish common resolutions and or screen sizes. So how 'bout it, what screen sizes and resolutions do you use? Do you find the screen size relevant and should I include a poll for that?

What desktop screen resolution do you work in?
  • 2560 x 1440
  • 1920 x 1080
  • 1536 x 864
  • 1440 x 1024
  • 1440 x 900
  • 1366 x 768
  • 1280 x 1024
  • 1280 x 720
  • Other, please specify in the comments

0 voters

My main screen is a 32" at 2560x1440 and the two on the sides are 24" 1920x1080 each. The pixel density is about the same across them so it works well for me.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback.

My laptop is 1080p, but when in the office I have a 4k screen. Makes drawings and large spreadsheets much easier to view.

Yeah, I’m with you there. I work on a 13" MacBook Pro with a Retina display (2560x1600), but connect to a Dell 24" 4k display at my DeskStand workstation. Makes working on designs a lot easier.

What is this research for? Optimising UI design in apps or for web?

Nothing official, I just came here of my own accord and interest. But yes, it would obviously be for work as I work within that space. Busy working on a project that is an enterprise web app, as such I am redesigning a lot of elements and sometimes feel I need to validate my decisions and provide reasoning behind it too.

Wouldn’t it help to find out what size window people often with their resolution. The larger the screen, I would guess the less likely they are to use fullscreen. But then there’s also dpi scaling to fuck up your assumptions.

Yeah, I’m using this to rather challenge business’ assumption that everyone assumingly works off and uses external screens that are 1080p or greater.

My challenge rather is to design for the smallest factor and scale-up, as opposed to designing for the biggest and then dealing with the problems with the smaller form factors. Not to say that mobile displays are or are not capable, though I don’t believe people would use these platforms as a primary means to do their tasks we still cannot rule it out. Then there is the matter of display/pixel density.

Are we not perhaps the wrong sample group for that assumption? I would guess that we are the type of people that have 1080p as a minimum.

1 Like

Better than none :slight_smile:

Besides looking at common screen sizes and resolutions from online statistics, I, unfortunately, don’t have access to a particular focus group not for lack of trying. I know a few here are kinda in the same space or domain as I am, hence partly my reasoning for asking here.

I use 1920x1080 on 32" screens. Since I’m in front of a PC 90% of the time, I don’t want to strain my eyes, so I rather have “large” text that can easily be read. Thus far, my eyesight is still great, but if possible I want to avoid having to get glasses.

2 Likes