What's a cheap game that's way better than its price led you to expect?

I was trawling PC Gamer for an idea for the thread this week and came across this article: What’s a cheap game that’s way better than its price led you to expect? and thought it could be quite interesting to see affordable gems you have all found.

I recently bought the excellent Supraland for R130 (release price) and it proved to be excellent value. I thoroughly enjoyed playing the game and thought it was a very well made game.

What cheap games have you bought that turned out far better than their pricing led you to believe?

Subnautica is up there.

Gemcraft
Bastion
FTL
Steamworld games that one took me by complete suprise.

1 Like

Damn you! I’m trying to get my Wishlist under control!

Definitely! (and doubly so if you picked it for free from the Epic Store :slight_smile: )

Subnautica, as already mentioned in the thread, has been my personal all time amazing find.

1 Like

I was thinking of a game for this discussion and you’re right… Steamworld Dig was incredible!

Factorio, or Cracktorio as people affectionately call it, is well worth R170.

Terraria has also always been great value for money.

2 Likes

Binding of Isaac…i have over 350 hours in that game

1 Like

Hotline Miami is definitely up there for me. Challenging game and amazing soundtracks I was blown away when I saw it and just had to get my hands on it

2 Likes

If mods count, then Minecraft, that game now has so much content it is insane, i don’t play it anymore but i watch the yogscast and there are so many cool modpacks that almost completely change the game.

1 Like

for me it probably has to be rimworld, oxygen not included and fight club. All amazing games that i spend most of my time on.

1 Like

I will add Stardew Valley to this list

1 Like

FTL, Oxygen Not Included, Hotline Miami

Then there was the free Alien Swarm which was also fun to play.

3 Likes

If you got the mod for Alien Swarm that was hella fun but haven’t tried it again also you have to get players that know what they are doing otherwise you’d just die all the time

Overcooked, Speedrunners and pummel party among many others.

1 Like

The first game that comes to mind is quite old already, but Hydrophobia was quite good for the price tag if I remember correctly.
Also Orcs Must Die.

1 Like