Whats your electricity usage?!

Morning all!

So since we moved into the new place i’ve (tried to) note down daily my electricity usage, by seeing how much power remains and at what time im noting it. over time i’ve made a nice little excel graph and 3 of us currently average about 12-15 units a day, with a few times hitting 20 in december when everyone was at home all day and tv’s and pc’s were on etc.

After reading the MyBroadband article now on solar power, It appears the average is 30 to 40 a day and that boggles my mind. Its not like we don’t have a fridge or dishwasher or washing mashine or air fryer or oven etc… but we have gaming pc’s and we keep fans on all night etc. yet i’m happy when we keep it under 15 units a day.

So i’m curious, what are your usages? is 30-40 really the average?

2 Likes

Ummm… we went through 60-70 units a day in December and January. That was with 4 adults, a toddler and a teenager in the house. 2 of those adults work full time from home and with the blazing heat there were a couple of aircons running in the house. So I suppose that was to be expected? We’re down to around 30 per day now, though.

3 Likes

We average 25 -35 units a day in a household of 3 adults. That is with aircon every once in a while, the pool pump running for 4 hours a day. The fun thing is how much extra I have to pay in during the winter months because my father doesn’t understand that in winter we use more power.

2 Likes

We average a bit under 20 kWh a day. That includes a LOT of laundry being done.

We’ve got all the usual appliances but don’t have a pool so that saves a fair bit on not running a pump.

3 Likes

and is it asking personal security questions to get an idea of number of people in the household?

All this feedback is really helpful guys, much appreciated :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh yeah, we also have the pool pump running and 2 geysers in the house. And a full security system with beams outside in the garden. And 2 fridges.

3 Likes

Are you guys taking your bill units and dividing it into days?

Cause I get 9 units.

2 Likes

About 26 kWh a day. We’re purchasing the house we live in soon, and I want to extend the home loan to get solar installed when we purchase, so I’ve been keeping an eye on the usage to make sure I don’t overspend. We don’t have anything fancy for two adults, but run the dishwasher almost daily, washing roughly every second day, my pc and server (read: old pc) on 24/7.

@czc: Yes, that’s how I calc.

2 Likes

Yea we have a fridge and large freezer, 2 geysers, the pool pump.

I just wish certain members in the household would be just more responsible - we have now gotten the laundry to 2 loads a week. And certain people just cannot understand certain items are more expensive especially in winter

2 Likes

now that we prepaid, well I take readings on whats remaining and minus, so in a roughly 24 hour period i know i’ve used X. Its not completely perfect since sometimes i take it at 4pm sometimes at 8pm and sometimes i forget a day. but im able to average it out and thats what i’ve come to. no idea how others are calculating theirs. the nerd math starts to come in when i top up etc hehe
9 is nice and low, i was optimistically going for 10 or less when it was just my wife and I, but we hit around 11 or 12 for the month we were alone.

1 Like

We do 10 to 15 units per day for two adults. Both of us work from home and both of us are gamers.

3 Likes

The disclaimer for my usage is that I don’t have a geyser. The building has solar heat pumps, solar panels and a boiler which is payed for separately.

3 Likes

To add to my post. We have a solar geyser.

3 Likes

We’re a small household and small family of two kids and two adults. That being said, I think we average around 10-15 kWh within a 24h period. I try to maintain a sub 20kWh and if I stay below 15kWh I am doing something right.

Weekdays I limit TV and console usage to only be turned on from around 3 pm and weekends this is usually on almost all day. All our lights are LED downlights and we have a solar geyser, which helps to heat the water during summer periods. We have very little appliances which use elements outside of manually switching on the geyser for a quick heat up and the oven, we also make use of an induction stove which I’m not sure on its consumption compared to a coil element. We try to limit our washing cycles to once or twice a week. We have an average size fridge freezer combo, and the dishwasher has since packed up.

3 Likes

Thanks for all the responses so far guys! Got to say, I think I can be proud of our usage at this point. Guess looking out for and focusing on new A++ efficient appliances is helping out. We DO use the kettle like 3-5 times a day, and only wash laundry on weekends as well as dishwasher maybe twice a week (dont put it on unless can fill it).

I guess living slightly like pigs is economical!

We have no pool so that helps too I guess…

3 Likes

I think our biggest electricity usage is the kettle. I probably drink about 7 cups of coffee a day and I boil the kettle every time.

I should really think of getting a filter coffee machine or drinking less coffee.

3 Likes

I think that’s one of the biggest contributors when trying to save electricity is to remove, or at least limit, the use of any appliances or devices that have an element. They consume so much it’s not even funny.

4 Likes

Sadly that is like 99% of the function of a kettle. I DEFINITELY feel we saved a bit of money by not having an electric stove, now I have yet to go through the schlep of replacing/buying gas (we have 2 bottles in total so can swap out when it runs out and just go fill up empty one at our leisure) but I feel that alone has helped cut costs…guess i’ll see when I find out how much gas costs hehehe

3 Likes

Get a stove top kettle!

We had a gas stove in our previous place and the bottle replacement was only every 3 months or so, for a 9kg cylinder.

4 Likes

Yea that’s what we’ve been told as well…we moved in in November…so we getting there. Altho we don’t cook daily off stove

2 Likes