Wheel of Time - Amazon Prime Series

This thread has been quiet for quit some time.

We have gotten very short glimpses of Lan and Moiraine which I will post below, as well as photos of the main cast in costume which I will link to as well.

Cast photos (could be considered spoilers): https://screenrant.com/wheel-time-show-images-full-cast-amazon/

What do the fellow fans think? I’m HYPED. Can’t wait for the trailer to drop. I’m currently busy with Book 9 in my re-read as well and I might just finish it before the show comes, but time will tell.

4 Likes

We’re finally getting a (teaser) trailer today. Should be dropping at 17:30 local time.

2 Likes

There’s one scene I’m hoping for: when Mat Cauthon takes out a wannabe warder in training, with nothing but a staff

2 Likes

Man! This looks really good. I’m so hyped for this

4 Likes

Oh yes!! Me too

2 Likes

@Flex Get in here!

New teaser from a few days ago (new trailer apparently dropping later today):

4 Likes

I NEED IT!!!

2 Likes

It’s looking so good!! Found this Trailer Breakdown with one of the showrunners on IGN:

1 Like

Stop watching trailers. Ruining shows since the 80’s

2 Likes

So lots of mixed feelings. i personally did not watch the trailers, so did not know how everyone looks. Except for Moraine, no one looked like I imagined they had. 2 Rivers also not the same as I pictured in my head.

Guess that is what is amazing about reading, everyone has their own picture in their head.

My wife loved the first eps, i was a bit on the fence though.

3 Likes

Yeah, that is what I’m worried about.

1 Like

With the Hobbit the did an absolutely amazing job with portraying the places and the characters. With this… I dunno so much.

1 Like

Had a lot of discussions with a friend who loves the books, like I do.

Basically we agreed in the end that you CANNOT watch this series and think it is based on the books. You cannot expect it to be like the books at all. In fact it diverges so much from the books that it is best to see it as a series about an alternate universe to the one in the books.

If you watch this series with the expectation that it is a series that brings the books to life, you will be sorely disappointed, as we were. I love the series now. Now that I don’t see it as a depiction of the books at all.

6 Likes

Very good way of going about looking at it yeah!

2 Likes

Exactly how I’ve been watching the Foundation series on Prime Apple TV+. There’s a lot of divergence from the books, and if you watch it with the expectation of seeing the books come to life you are going to be very disappointed. If you watch it from the perspective of a new generation spanning sci-fi space opera series that is based on Asimov’s ideas and in his Foundation universe, then it is an exceptional series.

2 Likes

I haven’t watched the series yet but I’m pretty sure it’s better than the books.

1 Like

I cannot agree here. The series tinkers a lot with the underlying philosophy of the book lore in the name of being woke and that bothers me…

2 Likes

Also agreed with that, I love the series but it is fundamentally different than the books in such a way as you described.

Again, it stands by itself and yes, I love the series too.

2 Likes

I never read the Foundation books but LOVED the series, for me it’s the next expanse/space drama. So well done.

The wheel of time, I’m struggling, not so much that they are straying from the books, but as I said elsewhere they spent a lot of money on sets but failed to deliver - I’m sorry those trollocks just didn’t scare me.
Also the underlying metoo movement feeling (which I know was in the books to a degree pushed as well, but Im tired of everyone being so woke these days)

Also changing the ages of the kids - cos in the books I feel they start at 15/16, and the forced early romances and straight-up fiction for Matt and Perrin is just meh

1 Like

Who is Will? And I’m pretty sure in the books they are around 19 and Nynaeve is around 25 ish. Also in the books its made clear from the beginning that Rand and Egwene are "meant for each other ". They are all but betrothed pretty much. Perrin’s new wife I don’t like but I understand why they did it - to accelerate his character progression.

I dunno. I think the Trollocs look really good and when I watched the show with a friend she found them pretty scary, but that’s obviously subjective. I find porcelain dolls scary for example.

As far as casting goes I really like Moraine, Rand and Lan and I think Nynaeve is absolutely perfect. In fact, if I ever read the books again I’ll see her as my head Canon.

2 Likes