When games affect your dreaming

While reading through the following article: https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/advertisers-are-after-our-dreams-now-because-we-live-in-a-nightmare-world/ the following paragraph got me thinking about how the games I’m playing often affect or feature in my dreams in some way:

Hit game Tetris Effect is also literally named after the phenomenon where players continue to see tetromino shapes in their dreams or in the natural world, even for players who have the kinds of memory loss that mean they don’t remember playing Tetris in the first place. It’s an interesting psychological phenomenon by itself, with applications in treatment for PTSD flashbacks, and I kind of wish ‘interesting things about the brain’ wasn’t a field that immediately got exploited for advertising.

Do you have any memorable times when the game you were playing entered into your dreams? I still remember when my friends and I got Battlefield 2142 and spent all weekend playing at my one friend’s house. When we eventually went to bed I found myself taking on mechs and titans in my dreams.

2 Likes

I’m one of the few who can’t remember dreams at all.

1 Like

Not so much when I dream, but back in the day when the original Quake was all that, I would play until the toothpicks wouldn’t keep my eyes open any more. My poor, bloodshot, watering eyes would give in, and I would roll out of my chair into my bed, and when I closed my eyes, I could see the landscape, water, and caves from a specific level.

2 Likes

When I play Warframe for a few hours and then go to sleep I often have the movement animations (fast running and jumping and rolling) stuck in my head or they show up in my dreams. I can play 12 hours of No Man’s Sky and go to bed and it won’t show up at all, because it’s so chilled out and relaxing, whereas I think Warframe is more of a hyping/adrenaline-producing game.

2 Likes

I’ve had many a dreams about Dark Souls, among others that I can’t think of right now. But yes, games do affect my dreams and I find most of the time they do this when I become really involved in the game. I don’t really dream about the games that I play casually, but rather those that I sink myself into and have an impression on me.

2 Likes

What Beo said pretty much sums up my experience (except for the Dark Souls part). But yeah, depends on how much I’m immersed in the game.

4 Likes

i thought I was the only one, but like @Wyvern, I also have no recollection of my dreams at all. The best I can manage is an occasional flash of something maybe when I have a short nap. Otherwise, it’s go to sleep, wake up. Done. It’s weird. And a little sad. I often wonder what I missing :grinning:

3 Likes

Eat more bananas. Vitamin B2 is supposed to help.

I had a friend who got obsessed with being able to have lucid dreams. He kept a dream log, would set alarms for stupid hours in the middle of the night to wake up and takes notes, etc…

2 Likes

I seem to have periods where I dream often and then other times just sweet oblivion. I still recall bits and pieces of dreams I had as a child even.

1 Like

I can recall two distinct dreams I used to have as a child. One of which caused me to wake up at a certain point each time, and the funny part it is, I would wake up around the same time each day. The other I am sure is reason for me having a fear of drowning.

2 Likes

I must also add, the times when games do affect my dreaming, I sleep for very long because I don’t realize I’m sleeping. I’ve slept like 12 hours once.

I usually have 2 types of dreams related to gaming. 1 is where I dream I’m inside the game / world and 2 is where I dream that I’m playing the game. The latter can be quite frustrating because when I wake up, I immediately lose all my progress I’ve made in the game :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Devs really need to allow for transferring pillow saves over to the cloud!

4 Likes