Will DALL-E make roles obsolete or easier?

So while there have been a lot of discussions, articles and case studies around the effectiveness of DALL-E, I just came across this and think it could spur more discussion.

Given that this is directly in relation to the space I am in the uses could fall outside of this scope. I can only think that the possibilities here will better support workflows, resources, assets, etc. and therefore enhance and make a designer’s job easier, but will it make a job obsolete?

What are your thoughts and concerns regarding the social impact of such products as DALL-E?

2 Likes

I just had a thought…

DALL-E works by scraping the internet for human generated images, whether drawn or photographed, and modifying them. What happens when all the images available are all generated by AI?

1 Like

Ever been in a lift (elevator :wink: ) with mirrors on both sides?
Or pointed a video camera at a TV while the TV is showing the current camera view?

Thats what all images will end up looking like.

2 Likes

That’s how the made the original intro to classic Dr Who episodes

2 Likes

Here’s a good take on it - I watched this video a while ago and this topic made me think of it.

1 Like

Another good and well researched video.

A bit of a thread necro, but I thought this kinda interesting and amusing, so just sharing as this also directly relates to my space too.

This is what it looks like when I tried to recreate the most iconic ad campaigns of the last fifty years (“Got Milk”, “Just Do It”, “Think Small”, and “Where’s the Beef?”) using Chat GPT and A.I image tools.

Full disclosure-- I did NOT try to make these goofy on purpose, my guidelines were what a client brief would be: “give me an athlete in sportswear at the edge of exhaustion pushing through to victory”

1 Like

Some really interesting tidbits.

and

1 Like

Aaah the beauty of being a UX Designer in today’s times. I found this hella interesting and well thought out video.

2 Likes