Windows 10 - The end

I see support for windows 10 will end 14 October 2025. They are encouraging people to upgrade to windows 11 but haven’t made it very easy.

How many of you are already on Windows 11 and how many of you can’t get the update to Windows 11?

I can’t upgrade my system with my current hardware.

3 Likes

Officially I cannot upgrade to windows 11 due to my hardware apparently, I probably need to just go find the TMP setting somewhere, will upgrade to windows 11 when I feel like it.

3 Likes

Can but won’t until i’m confident my setup/performance won’t be negatively impacted (AMD in my system, and every now and then amd seems to get something new affected by it in Win 11). Also cant STAND the further dumbing down and hiding of basic functionality behind the toddler interface that is win 11, so yea, I might force my work laptop to go to 11 to make myself get better familiarity with that stuff (since its my job to know how to use new OS"s hehe) but at home? no thanks. happy with 10, and i’m actually happy they leaving win 10 on 22h2.

Remember, they’re just stopping feature updates. security patches etc will still happen till 2025. basically they’re just promising not to make any more potentially infuriating changes to current Win 10.
win win in my book :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Also in the “can but won’t” camp, also on AMD (AM4). I think my soundcard still doesn’t have a Win 11 driver and that matters a great deal to me! Also, there’s nothing appealing to me with the new OS.

2 Likes

It seems like Microsoft is urging us to make the leap to Windows 11. I hope it’s worth the upgrade and not just a ploy to get us to buy new hardware!

2 Likes

Laptop has been on Win 11 since Insider Preview days, and runs without issue. The desktop I’ve switched from 10 to 11, back to 10, and am now currently on 11.

The two laptops and one PC we use in the office though are all Win 10 and too old to change. I’m more than happy to leave them on 10 with 22h2 until they fall apart or are replaced.

Two other random thoughts though: keep in mind that most folk here skew on the tech savvy side of life (and some even more than others). I work with a lot of people on the other side of that equation. People who can tell you the origins of a wine just by tasting it, but who can’t find the Shift key on a keyboard. The sort of people who just want to turn on their PC and have it work. Windows 11, as a mass market consumer product, is made for them.

Also, I still think it’s amusing that we went through the whole “Windows 10 will be the last Windows version we’ll release” story only to now be at a point in time not too much later when we’re already starting to talk about the release of Windows 12. By the time that the Win10 support ends in 2025, this conversation about Win11 will be entirely moot already.

2 Likes

I reluctantly upgraded a few months back. As someone who tinkers a lot, the one extra click to get anywhere is really annoying, but as you say @GregRedd, there’s definately a push to make it a lot more user friendly to the average consumer a la Mac OS.

I wish they actually used the ‘home/pro/enterprise’ versions to differentiate the target audiences’ savvyness, rather than just the same thing with even more hard to reach features.

2 Likes

I was on Windows 11 from preview days as well. I once switched to Tiny 10 for a few weeks, but you need a Pro license, so I resortrd back to full Windows 11.

I am considering an AtlasOS installation next, which cuts the fluff from your Windows installation, and it does not have the hardware requirements. I will create a new topic once I have done the move.

https://atlasos.net/

4 Likes

Intradesting…

1 Like