Xbox Turns 20

It’s been 20 years (!) since the launch of the original Xbox, and the #Xbox20 celebrations get underway tonight with a special global livestream.

We are excited to mark this milestone with you as we celebrate some of our favorite moments from the past 20 years of Xbox. It’s been fun to reminiscence on all the memories we’ve shared with the Xbox community over the years and are excited about what the next 20 years with has in store as we continue to play.

The Xbox 20th Anniversary livestream starts at 20:00 SAST tonight, and can be found on their YouTube, Twitch, and Facebook channels:

Xbox on YouTube

Xbox on Twitch

Xbox on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/xbox/

I’ve never been a huge console gamer personally but did (and still do) enjoy the occasional couch gaming session. My first Xbox was a new 360 that I bought on “6 months no interest” from CNA about a year after its release, so in 2007 probably. I replaced that with the Xbox One that I currently have in 2016. For the amount of console gaming I do, it’s more than adequate. Of course I’d love a new Series X|S but I’m more than happy to wait another year or two even before thinking about that.

So, for how many of those 20 years have you been an Xboxer? What are some of your Xbox memories, standout games, and experiences?

4 Likes

I bought my first 360 in early 2007 from a friend of mine, one of his buddies bought it new but was leaving the country so he was selling it for 3k which was a steal. I got dead or alive 4 for free with it plus an additional controller, had the console for a few months then it rrod’d had a back and forth with incredible connection in tygervalley and Mi digital and eventually they swapped it out with the then newly released falcon console, i still have that console mind you, it was my primary gaming console had endless hours of gameplay eventually upgraded the hard drive from 20 gig to 120 gig and when i won the 360 slim on mygaming that became my primary console until i bought the xbox one x, i had/have a ps3 and wii but the xbox got the most gameplay by a longshot

4 Likes

Power On: The Story of Xbox

6-part documentary series coming to YouTube (and others) 13 December

2 Likes

I got my first 360 on launch day. Got DoA4 a week later when it released. Got a fighting stick. Broke a glass table in a rage fit on DoA4.

Ended up selling the unit after only a few months because I was spending all my time playing Tiger Woods PGA instead of preparing to leave Canada.

3 Likes

This is a very cool site to check out your own personal Xbox museum, as well as some interesting Xbox facts.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Surprise, surprise.

And will hopefully soon be unlocking that Series S|X badge.

1 Like

2 Likes

I thought you got yourself a Series X mate?

1 Like

Not yet. First it was getting married, and then it was baby preparations, so now the budget is definitely not there for a Series X.

2 Likes

Aw yeah! The best BF ever! I expected Left 4 Dead 2 to actually be the top game, but BF3 really took up a lot of my time back then!

2 Likes

Absolutely, I can relate and respect that. I was just under the impression you had, apologies for any confusion. :fist_right:

1 Like

Guess they don’t like accounts that have been abandoned when a person sold their 360… I have plenty of achievements unlocked

3 Likes

I clearly don’t Xbox nearly as much as others… but at least I don’t get a dismissive “play more games” message…

3 Likes