Your thoughts on flash backs

How do you feel about flash backs as a narrative device? Whether in books, tv or games.

Some people hate hate them because it interferes with the flow of what is happening. I also tend not to like them.

But I was watching the first Stargate: Universe episode and the flashbacks kinda worked for me. The interleaving seemed to be done at the right time.

1 Like

Flashbacks?

You mean like that time I saw a giant human sized penguin standing around amongst a massive flock of Canadian geese?

2 Likes

This story sounds more like a bad acid flashback… Still, it deserves a much more detailed explanation.

@czc is refering to the thing that TV shows especially do… 10 minutes into the episode and you have no idea what the heck is going on. Am I supposed to know that person? Who is that?! What is going on? thoughts racing through your head. Then the caption appears… “24 Hours Earlier”, “Last Week…”, etc.

Personally I don’t mind them too much, so long as they’re not overdone. If every 10 minutes in an hour show we have another flashback, I’m thinking there must be a better way to tell this story. Why not start the episode with all the flashback stuff in one “Last Week” scene, then have the action move forward to “Now”.

4 Likes

Expound, but not too much. :smiley:

3 Likes

I learnt a new word, thanks :smiley:

2 Likes

thatsthejoke.jpg

I was wondering what the heck was going on in the Witcher when people that died were alive again. Took me way to long to realize it was jumping around in time. There was a complete lack of captions.

I was in the back seat of a car that was driving by a small lake. The geese gather there every where for a stop during their migration. There were a bunch of people standing around with them (dumb move on their part, those geese are evil), and one appeared to be a giant penguin.

I actually wouldn’t go so far as to call it a flashback, since it was only a day after the ‘real’ story.

2 Likes