3D Printing

All you guys who have 3D Printers, I’m curious, what printers do you have and what do you think of them?

I’m thinking of getting one of these but I’m not really sure if I should go for something else instead.

https://www.3dstore.co.za/product/creality-ender-3-v2-3d-printer/

Maybe this one, but it’s a quite a bit more expensive and looks like it makes a lot smaller prints:

https://www.3dstore.co.za/product/flashforge-adventurer-3/

Any opinions?

Edit: Maybe this one: https://www.diyelectronics.co.za/store/printers/2897-creality-ender-5-pro-3d-printer.html

2 Likes

If you plan on printing in ABS, the enclosure would be a good thing. Although there’s probably ways to make one for the ender 3.

Judging by what @DohcWP was saying, you might just want to avoid ABS. Personally, I would rather go for a bigger print bed, but I don’t see specs on the second one for that… The camera thing on the more expensive one would be neat, but nothing you couldn’t do with a phone/tablet/raspberry pi, etc, I would imagine.

Besides that, I don’t really know much about these things, and I didn’t even know the had an ender 5. I’ve seen a couple good reviews about the ender 3’s though, and that the v2 was great value for the money.

Ultimately though, you’re gonna wanna go for this one:
https://www.3dstore.co.za/product/raise-3d-pro-2-plus-3d-printer/

2 Likes

Is there any advantage to ABS printing or is it something I can safely skip? I’m starting to lean towards the Ender 5 Pro.

1 Like

There’s so many different plastics out there. Just look at the list of ones supported on that monster wallet smasher one I posted

They don’t seem to have it listed on the ender 5 page.

Which ever one you decide on, make sure you know what plastics it works with and read up on it. I’ve only ever researched ABS a few years back, so can’t help with which ones are easiest to work with or anything…

2 Likes

Oh, also, the guys from DIY Electronics are dicks. I’ve ordered electronics from them before, and their after sales is crap. They did come through recently helping sort out a courier problem, but… Answer my freakin’ emails about compatibility issues!

From their webpage:

That’s a bunch of BS. Capable, maybe. Willing, nope.

2 Likes

I imported a Tronxy Xy2 directly from the manufacturer in China as none of the locally sold printers came with a colour screen and since I’m a noob I wanted something that was easy to use. The tronxy, the ender 3 etc are all just improved variants of the original prusa i3 printer so they all have their pro’s and cons. Abs is a nightmare to print I only print pla and petg. Petg prints easily like pla but it has the durability of abs.

I would go for the ender 3 it’s a reliable brand and it’s a good price and it looks like it has a graphical ui which is alot better to navigate than this blue LCD monochrome printers

2 Likes

First success (second attempt)

7 Likes

That is so cute!

1 Like

Sweet!

When you gonna make a full storm trooper armor set? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Nice and smooth, i would recommend having some extra temperature sensors at hand since they’re dirt cheap and they always have questionable reliablility that can throw you out of commission for a few days

1 Like

It has some flaws but I’m pretty happy with how it came out.

8 Likes

Very, very nicely done!

1 Like

that looks amazing!

1 Like

Looks real good.

1 Like

Wow, that’s incredible!

Are you planning on doing any painting or anything to it?

1 Like

I don’t think so, I’ve never painted anything except for my Airfix models when I was still in school. But who knows, I guess if I mess it up I can just print more.

1 Like

You should at least get a very fine tipped marker and draw in some eyes. It’ll make a huge difference.

1 Like

It appears I have a new hobby. It’s still very rough and I will probably redo the whole thing later, but it’s a good learning experience.

5 Likes

That looks fantastic, well done man!

2 Likes

Looks pretty good!

I’m assuming you are using acrylics? I’d recommend adding a bit of windolene to thin it out a little to reduce the visibility of your brush strokes.

1 Like