3D Printing

Why would you want to reduce the viability of his brush strokes?

2 Likes

lol thanks. I corrected my typo

1 Like

Oh visibility I was thinking it was variability. :grin:

2 Likes

@MetalSoup did you go for the Ender 5 Pro? Because these look really good! Would these prints be strong enough to start doing some structural prints for small home mechanicals or is this better suited for sculpture type prints?

#completenoob

1 Like

Thanks for the advice, I think the problem here is that the acrylic set I bought is super thin, I had to apply like 7 layers for it to not show the primer anymore. Iā€™ll try to get something higher quality next time. The metallic stuff works like a charm.

I also learned that itā€™s best to paint most of it before assembly, and that you really really need to make sure to sand everything properly.

Yeah itā€™s the Ender 5 Pro, Iā€™m quite happy with it. I think if you design something the right way it will be pretty strong, though small bits will definitely break off if you drop it. It depends on the material as well, PETG appears to be tougher but printing with it is a bit of a pain. ABS is apparently even stronger but I havenā€™t been able to print anything successfully with it yet. I like printing with PLA.

This hobby is not for the impatient though, youā€™re going to have a lot of failed prints and a LOT of wasted plastic.

3 Likes

Are you letting the paint dry completely? Give it at least a day or two between layers. And make them very thin. I use an air brush, so it is easier with that, but I noticed a lot of paint clumping which screams of build-up of wet paint. Makes sense that it is super thin. Would you say about the consistency of milk? Because that would be ideal for airbrushes, but not so much for brushes.

You printed it off in pieces? Thatā€™s pretty cool. Sounds pretty much like the resin kits I do, sanding an all. You definitely want to do the pieces separate. Correct any gaps in a dry assembly before painting as well.

2 Likes

Just got some new paint and it was definitely part of the problem. The new one I have goes on smoothly with a lot better coverage. I did however also get myself an air brush as I think that will give much better results. I think you mentioned using windolene as a thinner, is there a particular reason to use that over water?

Iā€™m buying my models here:

https://www.gambody.com/3d-models/ciri-witcher

They cost a bit but they have some very high quality models and they split them up in ways that make it a lot easier to print.

1 Like

Great stuff! Good luck with the airbrush.

The reason to use windolene instead of water is because it evaporates quicker, and quick drying is key. Again, one fine layer at a time, or the airbrush will make ā€˜wavesā€™ that build up and are very difficult to fix without sanding the whole piece down and starting over. Donā€™t worry about the blueness, it wonā€™t affect the colour of the paint.

2 Likes

That makes sense. I actually got some clear Windolene today because I wasnā€™t sure. Hopefully itā€™s the same stuff. Will try it out soon.

2 Likes

Best use of a 3d printer!

3 Likes

Warning, harsh language.

1 Like

I wonder if thereā€™s an f-bomb count for this somewhere. Itā€™s got to be a pretty impressive number.

2 Likes
4 Likes

This is so cool. If the pilot is successful, itā€™ll open up so many new ways of manufacturing and building.

Next thing Iā€™d look into was a composite material test - print different metals on different layers to get the best of all worlds.

2 Likes

OH NO!!! This is a rabbit hole I did not want to go downā€¦ Too late!

1 Like

I guess Iā€™m going all in now. :persevere:

6 Likes

3 Likes

Over the weekend the topic of 3d printing came up and I decided I need a printer in my life.

Looking at the Creality CR-6 SE 3D Printer at the moment. Looks to be a good upper-entry level machine with some nice features.

Anyone else have one with some comments to share before I pull the trigger?

2 Likes

Canā€™t comment on that printer, but you should find some pretty good reviews on Youtube, I find it especially useful to watch comparisons between printers.

I would also recommend looking at some of the local stores and see what kind of spare parts they offer for the printer youā€™re going for.

Iā€™m quite happy with the service from these, but there are surprisingly many others too.
DIYElectronics
3D Printing Store - 3D Printing, CNC and Laser
DC 3D Printers

2 Likes

Watched maaaaaaaany YouTube videos and apparently the early ones had issue but now itā€™s all sorted. Has some nice feature so think itā€™s the one for me.

Checked a few stores and ended up phoning 3D Store who worked out a nice deal for me. Now I just have to decide if I go for it.

2 Likes