3D Printing

Greetings ! so this is what im up to today

3 Likes

A bit messier than I would have expected.

2 Likes

thats what happens when u use free models, and thats actually minimal stringing by the supports compared to models ive printed using abs

a slower print would also be cleaner but im not going to wait 24 hours for something to print

2 Likes

finally, still needs alot of cleanup

7 Likes

That turned out pretty good.

2 Likes

can be improved, i expected it to be a 12 hour print (cause thats what it estimated) and it ended up being a 16 hour print

2 Likes

What type of filament did you use?

2 Likes

Petg on my 2nd attempt, attempt 1 was abs which ended up warping halfway through, Abs sucks

3 Likes

You gotta keep ABS hot the whole print. Having an enclosure is almost necessary for big prints in ABS

2 Likes

thats what iv’e noticed, not even the kapton tape helped to keep the abs sticking to the bed. im just stuck with 3 rolls of abs that i need to use up

2 Likes

What’s your built plate made of? If you mix some ABS in acetone, and make a slurry, you can wipe a thin layer on the plate while it’s cool, then the extruded plastic will stick.

2 Likes

glass bed

2 Likes

i suspect if it was a 24v bed that could reach 100 degrees the abs would stick better but my bed is only 12v so it maxes out at 85 degrees

2 Likes

Oh dang. 12v is enough for an aluminum bed to reach 100. Don’t know about glass…

2 Likes

i can manually enter a 100 but it never gets to it, just tops out at 85 everytime

3 Likes

His 3D printer only arrived during lockdown…

3 Likes

@solitude what he said, im still learning the ropes on 3d printing

2 Likes

@murfle you seem to know quite a bit about 3D printing. Have you done any in the past?

3 Likes

I did a bunch of reading up on them a few years back when I was considering building one. Don’t know anything about PETG plastics or anything else use these days though. I didn’t bother keeping current.

2 Likes

Haha it was worth a try.

2 Likes