Anthem (2019)

Agreed. I feel the game should been released in 2020 instead of now.

2 Likes

Exactly this

But like the video said, its missing something

Warframe, Destiny all the other similar games, pulled me in from the first minute.

Anthem falls flat, I use the flight as a reason not to play the game, but I am tired of faking it. The game is lacking, what I canā€™t put my finger on but its lacking.

2 Likes

Yeah, I love Destiny 2, but I only started playing it since Forsaken launched (thank you PS Plus) - from what I read, Forsaken fixed a lot of stuff, and the vanilla game wasnā€™t great. Thatā€™s why my opinion on these things isnā€™t worth much.

Same story with Diablo 3 - I only started playing it long after they made the end-game good, and got rid of all the launch nonsense.

I think I also learned my lesson with No Manā€™s Sky. If you got the game now, youā€™d be having quite a different experience to how I saw it at launch. Thatā€™s why I will probably only look at Anthem again when it has its next big overhaul - probably a year from now.

If it even gets there, I mean.

3 Likes

Uhm. okā€¦

Just a pity that roll still probably means nothing on Grandmaster difficultyā€¦

2 Likes

So who of you are still playing Anthem?

2 Likes

To be honest, I never really started :neutral_face:. Other than the little look I took pre-launch I just havenā€™t had the time. Iā€™m really not the loot grid gamer at all, so the bulk of complaints about it that Iā€™ve seen donā€™t really freak me out as much as others at all. Also, I havenā€™t bought the game (would play through Origin Access) so I guess my attitude towards it is tempered by that. Those that have spent real $$$ on it could, quite fairly, have a different opinion.

Maybe Iā€™ll spend some time in it this coming weekend inbetween the Division 2 Open Beta with its inevitable server hiccups.

2 Likes

Thanks @MalicE

3 Likes

No Soli! Bad Soli!

3 Likes

I am playing it and having fun, once Division 2 comes out, I will give Anthem a long rest. They are changing the loot drops today or tomorrow, which will make it a little better.

My premier sub is already cancelled, I have 12 days of playing Anthem left :wink:

4 Likes

Haha you were the one who originally shared it.

2 Likes

That kind of made me cringe. The canned laughter and inserted responses made this very awkward for me.

3 Likes

yeah but I kept it containedā€¦

4 Likes

Iā€™m out of the province (again!), but I got to play last week until my 10-hour Origin Access Basic ā€œtrialā€ was over.

Got to play pre-ā€œDay 0ā€ patch, and another 4 hours after the patch dropped.

I donā€™t plan to renew my Origin Access subscription either. Keen to finish the gameā€™s story and participate in the events and all that, but I donā€™t really want to pay full price for a game that Iā€™m not going to play full-tilt in its launch months. Especially since I predict itā€™s going to be free to play in a year (or at least have a free weekend or something).

Alternative to buying the game for almost R1000 is Origin Access Premium (R299 per month), but I canā€™t really justify subscribing to it. YMMV.

3 Likes

Player testing of the game has revealed that the game scales HP of enemies and the damage you do based on the level of the weapon you use, not your level. Apparently this was designed this way so that lower level players can play with higher level players, which is great.

It also means that the very first default gun you get at level 1 does a LOT less damage than your superduper end game weapon BUT, here is the kicker, kills enemies FASTER.

Bioware has stated that they will fix this for the patch next week but it just illuminates the issues with the game in a nutshell.

As a career software tester and analyst, I am personally well aware of the massive difficulties of testing complex software and games like this have thousands of possible operations and variables. But this was a design decision, not a bug.

Many of the issues with the game are design decisions and not bugs as such.

I am SO glad I hired this game for a month and did not buy it. Thank you EA for that at least.

On to Division 2 next week

3 Likes

Wow. Just wow. I was wondering if they had some kind of weird dynamic scaling like this built in that I just didnā€™t fully grok yet, but this bends the mind.

I still donā€™t fully understand how this might work unless they normalise / scale DOWN the damage of higher level gear to match the lowest level in the party, and then scale enemy HP to match? Iā€™ll go look up the community research findingsā€¦

Reminds me of the XP scaling issues Destiny 2 had at launch. Of course, Activision was selling XP boosters as microtransactions so not entirely the same situation.

1 Like

https://gfycat.com/complexajararabianoryx

Level one gun vs a level 47.

That GIF makes it look as if the HP is scaled, not the damage. Are the damage numbers lying?

What happens if I start shooting an enemy with a level 1 gun, and then someone else joins in with a level 47 gun?

And what happens if I start shooting an enemy with my level 1 gun, and then someone whacks it with a level 47 Lightning Strike?

Not sure but this is the same person with just weapon swap so if you swap your weapons the enemy changes their hp?

And no the numbers are not lying. but it seem to not matter.

1 Like

At this point itā€™s pretty much beating a dead horseā€¦ but i found this kind of funny

2 Likes