Anthem (2019)

Interesting game so far. Surprisingly playable on ultra quality on my 5 year old i5 4 core 8GB ram GTX 750 Ti potato. I was really worried that I would have to play on lowest settings.

I get about 15-20 FPS, which is doable. Probably will go a little lower when the pretty scenery has all been seen.

I had to fiddle with the post processing setting to remove the lighting glare and background motion blur.

Playing it off an SSD is a must. Lots of load screens.

2 Likes

Short clip of me playing the Interceptor. Watch in 1080p if you can - Youtube destroys video quality :frowning_face:

2 Likes

Game play is ok so far. Quite disappointing it is using dx11 thoughtā€¦
No performance issues for me thought.

1 Like

So far i ran into two bugs that stopped my story progression completely. To be honest this really annoyed me and even though Iā€™ve managed to work around the bugs in order to progress, iā€™s just made me not want to play anymore.

Below are some reddit posts (they do contain spoilers)

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGame/comments/ar5mad/spoiler_gamebreaking_story_progression_bug_tomb/

3 Likes

Wow, that sucks. Not quite there yet, I have the missions though. Probably will wait until Friday to see if the day 1 patch fixes it

2 Likes

Based on @CrONusā€™ issues and all the other hiccups Iā€™ve read about, that release day patch is going to end up being pretty big.

I did manage to get only about an hour or so in over the weekend. Just enough time to play through the intro/tutorial mission thing and have a little wander around Fort Tarsis. Didnā€™t have any issues at all, but not really representative at all I guess.

2 Likes

Did a little bit of freeplay this weekend. For the most part the people in it treated it like an MMO, everyone went off doing their own thing.

I completed world events for the one tomb trial quite easily on normal and was downed 2x soloing a titan, also with no issues.

I am finding the javelin and the build I have made quite satisfying, I already have 5 different builds, each quite different in application. I love the Colossus. Charging through enemies with my shield up and flattening them is a ton of fun. Laying down a firewall and then running away to lure enemies through it and then blowing them all up with a big boom finisher is cathartic as all hell.

All in all, having a lot of fun solo. Level 10 currently.

The whole alliance of friends thing is pretty interesting. The way the ā€œguildā€ system works is that anyone that is on your friends list is in your alliance and you are in theirs. You score more in game coins based on the contribution of all your friends.

It is a little strange.

3 Likes

Also got to play a bit this weekend. Mostly played missions with PUGs, and it wasnā€™t bad at all. It didnā€™t feel like people were just rushing ahead and causing me to miss out on all the action, but maybe thatā€™s because I was playing faster than I normally wouldā€¦ not stopping to smell the roses or anything.

This build feels much smoother than the demo, and the default PC keyboard/mouse flight and swimming controls are much saner than before.

Iā€™m enjoying the story missions so far, despite the departure point not being particularly gripping. The characters are interesting and Bioware really has improved its character animations in dialogue scenes.

That sucks. Iā€™m not there yet, so Iā€™ll read the posts as soon as I am.

Iā€™ve also been wondering about this, along with several other design choices. Will be interesting to see if this doesnā€™t simply cause all Anthem players to friend one another.

3 Likes

Itā€™s a pretty extensive list of fixes:

Day One Update Details

High level fixes

• Improved loading times
  • Fixed many infinite loading screens
  • Fixed multiple challenges not tracking properly
  • A number of issues have been fixed that were causing players to disconnect or crash
  • Weapons and gear now have numbers present for modifiers

General Fixes and Improvements

• Loot Reveal and Expedition Summary now correctly play during the end of expedition screen.
  • The gather party mechanic has been made more lenient in a number of situations
  • At the end of expedition screen players will no longer get stuck on ā€œRecording Victoriesā€ or ā€œSkipping Allā€.
  • Game no longer hangs in Javelin menu when unlocking the second, third or fourth javelin
  • During the mission ā€œWhat Freelancers Doā€ dying after killing Junkmaw & freeing Arcanists leaves you unable to progress, this has been fixed
  • Challenges now unlock for players at the correct levels
  • Fixed some camera issues during cutscenes
  • Legendary Contracts can now be accepted from the Social Hub contract board
  • Some enemies have had their shield values decreased
  • Loot now properly drops for players who are downed
  • The texture quality on the NPC Prospero has been improved
  • Final boss of strongholds now drop loot instead of only being shown on the end of expedition screen
  • Fixed the time outs on echoes and relics to prevent griefing and to handle disconnections properly
  • Players can no longer fall through the floor during the 3rd trial in the Fortress of Dawn
  • Completing the tutorial expedition will now show the correct Ranger appearance
  • After disconnecting, rejoining an expedition will now place you back into a squad if you were in one previously
  • Corrected an issue where players could not interact with each other in the launch bay in certain circumstances
  • Corrected an issue during the Mission ā€œBad Dealā€ where outlaws wonā€™t spawn, blocking progress
  • The start of expedition screen has been improved
  • Addressed a variety of situations where killing enemies does not properly progress world events
  • Opening a chest now increments Tomb of the Legionnaire progress for all squad members present
  • Scar snipers can no longer shoot through Storm Shield
  • Corrected an issue where players would get stuck on the end of expedition screen in some situations
  • Players will no longer get disconnected if joining the ā€œFinding Old Friendsā€ mission while the cinematic is playing
  • Addressed a number of situations where players can get stuck on the environment in the launch bay
  • Increased the damage of the electric status effect
  • Corrected an issue where the Shield of Dawn could be crafted with less materials then intended in some situations
  • The Platinum Mission feat now grants completion as intended
  • Status effects can more reliably be applied to Titans

Strongholds

• Fixed an issue that would cause a Stronghold server crash after defeating the last boss
  • Temple of Scar - Players can no longer get stuck in the mined tunnel in the explosives room
  • Temple of Scar - Players can no longer be blocked from entering the explosives room due to fog wall
  • Fixed Tyrant Mine so people that join the stronghold in-progress do not end up locked away from their team
  • Adjusted lighting in Tyrant Mine underwater section to make it easier to navigate to the exit
  • The Swarm Tyrant will no longer get stuck in the side cave entrances in some situations
  • Corrected an issue where players would spawn into different areas of the Tyrant Mine in certain situations

Gear and Weapons

• After having 1st pilot unlock suit after tutorials, creating a new pilot and going to forge no longer causes load screen hang
  • Ice damage bonuses are now correctly applied on ice gear
  • Suit-wide bonuses from inscription are now functioning properly
  • Players can no longer salvage equipped items
  • Javelin specific gear and/or weapons are no longer able to be used on javelins they arenā€™t intended for
  • Corrected an issue where in some circumstances Masterwork Components do not have any inscriptions
  • The Endless Siege Masterwork Autocannon no longer displays a damage increase of 0% in its tooltip

Javelins

• The Colossus javelin is now able to activate its shield more quickly after using an ability or firing a weapon
  • The Storm javelin now reacts to getting hit when its shields are up
  • Fixed an exploit that allowed the Stormā€™s ultimate attack to be used more times than intended
  • The Colossus javelin can now shield and revive at the same time
  • Interceptor Combo Aura has been increased in power and now has a damage over time component

Crafting

• Non-Masterwork materials purchased from the crafting store now show as their proper rarity instead of incorrectly showing as Masterwork

Controls

• Additional Mouse and Keyboard control improvements have been made

UI

• Some conversations were not popping up the reputation points post conversation completion, this has been fixed
  • The squad screen now displays the correct information for each player
  • Fixed a number of issues where subtitles will no longer get stuck on the screen after dialogue has finished as often
  • Settings should no longer reset upon exiting and restarting the game on Xbox One
  • Motion blur can now correctly be turned off
  • The Electric Status Effect now shows scaled damage properly
  • An option has been added to hide the Squad Member HUD
  • The edge of the compass will now pulse to indicate enemy locations
  • A notification has been added in Fort Tarsis if a playerā€™s vault is at the cap of 250 items
  • On the ā€œRepair the Striderā€ step of ā€œA Cry for Helpā€ the search radar has been adjusted to correctly lead the player to all 4 tools
  • Primer and Detonator icons have been added to all Interceptor gear
  • Corrected a user interface issue where a playerā€™s ultimate would show as available when it isnā€™t
3 Likes

Niceā€¦ So iā€™m the only one here that had to suffer through this :sob:

Glad they fixed it this early

2 Likes

I think iā€™m cursed with this game. Had to redo a story mission 3 times yesterday because i kept getting disconnected at the exact same point in the story mission. According to reddit restarting origin fixed the bug and i was able to progressā€¦ ai

1 Like

I see initial reviews arenā€™t looking too great. How are you guys finding the game?

1 Like

It is a fun game but it is incomplete. That about sums it up for me I think. Donā€™t get me wrong, I am REALLY enjoying it but I see so many bad design decisions and broken features every time I play. I also see the same repetitive tasks strung out with some text to give them meaning, mission after mission.

I am so very very glad I ā€œhiredā€ the game for a month.

2 Likes

Iā€™m beginning to transition out of the honeymoon phase unfortunately. From the initial start of the game flying was amazing and swooping down waterfalls and through narrow caves made you feel like a total bad ass but the amount of bugs Iā€™ve encountered that completely halt my story progression is becoming extremely tiring.

As @Shrike mentioned, the repetitive tasks are becoming a problem now and Iā€™ve started skipping the NPC dialog because i just donā€™t care anymore.

Even though the game is installed on my SSD, loading into a mission can take a bit longer than Iā€™m comfortable with. It almost feels like the game is waiting on everyone to load into the zone/map before your character is spawned and of course i always connect with the one person that has their game installed on their slow mechanical drive. Iā€™ve literately gone to the bathroom, followed by getting something to drink in the kitchen, talked to my wife about what weā€™re doing the next day and came back to the game still loading. I did however read that they are working on fixing the loading times with the ā€œday oneā€ patch so thatā€™s a bonus i guess.

Things that annoy me about the game:

• The transportation ā€œfeatureā€ (Essentially, if you donā€™t get to objective area with your squad youā€™ll be teleported there and thereā€™s nothing you can do about it. So everyone just rushes to get to the mission area)
  • The menu system just sucks and itā€™s complete trash
  • There is no way to track smaller ā€œmini questsā€ that form a part of a larger main quest (You can track the main quest but it doesnā€™t show you what the other small quests are. For that you to drill down into menu options to see thoseā€¦ i.e. Press ā€œJā€ for Journal, then go hereā€¦ then thereā€¦ there hereā€¦ and now you can see the quests. So each time you think youā€™ve check off an item on the quest you have to go back into the menu options to see if the quest tracked properly or if you collected the correct thing or killed the right enemy type).
  • Thereā€™s no way of quickly opening your load out. You have to go into the forge each time you want to change you weapon/skill load out or appearance.
  • If you play with friends and youā€™re not all on the exact same mission quest, opening up expeditions shows everyoneā€™s quests. Youā€™ll end up seeing multiple quests without knowing which belong to you and which belong to your squad mates. (Even quests youā€™ve completed are shown if another member of your team hasnā€™t completed theirs).
  • Youā€™re not allowed to set way points in free roam. One of the main story quests require you to enter free roam in order to complete certain tasks. Without being able to set way points itā€™s extremely difficult to navigate the world and you end up opening your map every 10 seconds to make sure you didnā€™t accidentally get turned around.
  • Your javelinā€™s power level is just a number? The number is linked to your level and the overall rarity of your javelin but they do a really poor job of explaining it to you.

The list can go on but i donā€™t want to sit here and type the whole day. The negative things outweigh the positives for me unfortunately and i donā€™t see myself coming back to the game after i complete the story. Maybe the game just wasnā€™t made for me and someone else might find that Anthem is perfect for them - it comes down to the person i guess.

So renting the game was the right choice in my case and Iā€™ll continue playing until Iā€™ve reached the last story mission and killed the last boss at which point Iā€™ll gracefully exit the game and uninstall it. :frowning_face:

3 Likes

Iā€™d like to see what you guys think of the ending.

I accidently saw it on Twitch over the weekend

2 Likes

Oof.

3 Likes

Iā€™m kinda bummed. Iā€™ve been reading a lot of reviews and watching gameplay, and I really want to love this - but by almost all accounts, this looks like a skip. Bummer, man.

3 Likes

Spot on video!

2 Likes

I think BioWare are worried about the response too. Just saw that they pushed the big Day 1 patch out yesterday already for those Early Access players, presumably in the hopes that they can sort some of the issues out before the wide release tomorrow.

ETA - Of course it doesnā€™t help that the very next thing I see is a ā€œZero Day Patch Bug Reportsā€ Reddit thread with over 1.5k comments on it already. :man_facepalming:t2:

2 Likes

It took Digital Extremes awhile to ā€œfixā€ Warframe to the point where itā€™s the acclaimed game it is today. It took Bungie awhile to ā€œfixā€ Destiny 2 (though the fact that there is even a Destiny 2 speaks volumes of this ā€œlive serviceā€ nonsense the big publishers are trying to foist on gamers).

While there is similar hope for Anthem, the fact is I couldnā€™t recommend it as it is right now either.

Hopefully they have enough money to spend the next 6 months to a year to fix this.

Dropping R1k on the promise of a game that will continue to be updated, which has deep-rooted problems, is just too much to ask.

4 Likes