Assassin's Creed Valhalla

I cannot stand larch. He is a member on SAGamer and annoys the hell out of me.

This time I somewhat agree with him though.

3 Likes

One thing I really like about the game so far is that it doesn’t throw side quests and gear at you every 2 minutes. I have found very little new gear and just upgrade what I have on me.

The world events (side quests) are also usually over very quick and don’t require you to run 5km to fetch something for an NPC.

The map still has a lot of icons but most of it is treasure chests or mini-games.

3 Likes

Ugh. The blind rage about “garme jurnalizm” is where I tuned out. In this case it is completely misguided and self-defeating, unless larch Charl was referring to the PC Gamer report, which I didn’t see linked anywhere so I have no reason to think he was.

Courtney Craven isn’t a journalist. They run a site/blog/whatever that gives ratings and write-ups for games according to how accessible they are. (Their bio also says that they do captioning and accessibly consulting on games, which is also not journalistic work).

In isolation that is a valuable service. It is no different than parents who run similar blogs to help other parents decide what media is suitable for their children, or people of various religious persuasions running blogs to help one another decide which media to spend their money on and which not.

Of course, the Twitter post from Courtney is not an accessibility issue (which is presumably why it’s not in the main write-up of the game), but a “trigger” issue. But that’s an entirely separate discussion.

Back on point: Courtney isn’t a journalist! Stop trying to tar and feather whole groups with the same brush! At least make an effort to fight your bias and bigotry! It’s the only way we can try and have civilised, edifying discussions about stuff.

Don’t mix your metaphors like me either! It’s bad!

(Also this doesn’t mean I think there aren’t parts of journalism, gaming or otherwise, that is broken. See my earlier posts in this very topic for more on that.)

5 Likes

That’s why I said somewhat agree with him. I only agree with the sentiment that Ubisoft should not have given in to rainbow hair’s “request”. The rest of his rant does not interest me.

4 Likes

Ive stopped with Charl’s rambles years ago, he is a know it all, that loves to judge and point fingers but cant be arsed to do proper research.

And

I agree with you on that.

3 Likes

All fair points. I’m not familiar with the blogger but having a glance over other articles there is a definite agenda. That’s not to say that there aren’t some fair points as well. As always, we should be critical readers.

3 Likes

HAHAHA!

3 Likes

I am really enjoying my time with this game. Coming from Odyssey I had very low expectations and I’ve been very pleasantly surprised. Gone is the (quest) bloat, level gating and overwhelming amounts of gear drops. I’m still using the same armour I started with 22 hours into the game. I have found two (parts of) other sets, but the first set is more to my liking. I like how you keep upgrading your gear and the stats and appearance changes. The story is also pretty decent so far and most importantly the game is a lot of fun to play.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Ozzy Man Smashes Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, with the standard Ozzy Man NSFW - Language warning:

:joy: Hold the door! Hold the door!

1 Like
3 Likes
2 Likes

Hot damn this game is amazing!!

Played about 20 hours of the game so far and I’ve loved every moment of it. The combat feels so much better than previous entries into the franchise.

The side mission structure is also super appealing to me. Those are true side of the road missions and you never know what you might find. Also they don’t have any objective markers or any icons to track. There isn’t even any description of what you need to do. When you start a side mission, or a mystery as it’s called, you have to figure out everything by yourself. And it’s phenomenal.

4 Likes

I also liked that approach to side missions. It’s very similar to how it’s done in RDR2 except in ACV the “mission” is marked on the map for you and you can do it whenever whereas in RDR2 (and GTA) it feels more “organic”. Yeah they’re also always in the exact same spot but you can’t run past one and then go back a few minutes later and be guaranteed that you can do the mission.

ACV is great game and I enjoyed my time with it but after 60 hours I lost interest (for now). I will return one day.

2 Likes

I really want to get back into this. Only played about 7 hours so far…

3 Likes

Some great content from Luke Stephens and this is not exception. I know @Solitude is looking to buy, might consider giving this a watch.

2 Likes

Haha yeah. If anyone sees Valhalla on special for the XBox at around R500 or less, I’m keen to get it.

2 Likes

I’m going to start playing this evening. Can’t wait! I love the Assassin’s Creed games.

I had to order a different product from Amazon and managed to get Valhalla for about R500 without adding much to the delivery fee which is great.

2 Likes

So I started last night and so far it’s great. Didn’t play too much because Afrihost had problems at their datacentre so I had to work for a bit.

The combat is interesting with a more Dark Soulsy vibe. I keep pressing the wrong button to dodge because it’s a different one to Nioh 2 that I’m also currently playing. And that’s different to Outriders that I also played recently. Everyone should just stick to the same dodge button in my opinion.

On the Series X I have the option to choose between Quality and Performance and wow Performance wins this one by far. 60fps just feels so much smoother and is better than full 4K in my opinion.

1 Like