Assetto Corsa & AC Racing League [MEWRL]

Damn, the emoji’s don’t display in the order i clicked

2 Likes

suggestion was to do Quali normal time but move the race itself to 9pm for Darth?

1 Like

Sorry, yes, the race is at 9pm, so quali at 8:30pm.
We can’t have a gap between quali and race.

Practice session will start at 6pm.

Edit: there literally so many emojis that I can’t get the the edit button on that post on my phone :joy:

2 Likes

blady @aldyr

1 Like

2 Likes

I will be there!

Thanks for the race guys, and especially for moving it later so I could join!

4 Likes

Car #3 did not get the “Don’t Drive Kak” memo!

At 3 against 1, @DieGrootHammer’s poor, innocent Audi never stood a chance against @Oltman and the Porsche Posse.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Nice race guys, I very much enjoyed the banter, It’s nice to have some entertainment when you’re out front all alone :grimacing: At one point I even completely missed a corner because of a well-timed joke.
@DarthMol anytime man, you made it worth your while by grabbing a podium spot.

Zandvoort Results

# Name Car Points
1 SlinkY Ferrari 488 GT3 26 Fastest lap
2 aldyr inc Porsche 911 GT3 R 2016 18
3 DarthMol Porsche 911 GT3 R 2016 15
4 Beemerstein Mclaren 650 GT3 12
5 DieGrootH@mmer Audi R8 LMS 2016 11 Pole
6 Jay De Villiers Audi R8 LMS 2016 8
7 oltman Porsche 911 GT3 R 2016 6
8 Dragonic Mclaren 650 GT3 4
9 Greg Redd Audi R8 LMS 2016 2
10 GeezMo786 Mclaren 650 GT3 1

Driver Standing after 5 races

# Driver Points
1 SlinkY 97
2 DieGrootH@mmer 87
3 aldyr inc 81
4 DarthMol 61
5 Beemerstein 58
6 oltman 40
7 Jay De Villiers 30
8 Dragonic 28
9 Greg Redd 24
10 GeezMo786 1

Where are we off to next? Brands? Red Bull Ring? Something American?

3 Likes

I have 2 words: Racing. Incident.

The banter was especially funny. Of course on the night I do NOT stream… Basically, if you want views you need to take @DieGrootHammer out on lap 1, and then leave him for me to take out on lap 2 (racing incident) to get the wisecracks going. :grin:

6 Likes

Thanks for the race everyone. I did not have a good time at all. Most of the race I was driving angry and frustrated by that unbelievably malicious move to take me out.

First I was yeeted at turn 1, but that was a driver mistake and I can get over it. But the next lap’s assassination and destruction of my race was just so maddening. I completely raged and so very nearly quit. The reason was that in the moment it really felt like it was on purpose. It looked so suspicious on track that the only logical explanation I had for the incident was that it was done on purpose to take me out. And that infuriated me.

I take these races rather seriously, and I want to do well. I believe I’m fast enough to challenge the front runners, and incidents like this make it impossible for me to have a proper drive or proper fight at the front, so completely kills the competitive nature of the race for me.

With all that said, I could’ve handled the situation better. And while I’m still prettyad about it, it is still a friendly race between amateurs, and cannot expect us all to drive like total pros at all times. So I should’ve handled it better. And for that I’m sorry.

4 Likes

Thanks for the race guys. Yep, sorry on that first corner incident @DieGrootHammer, I’ve been getting better and then last night I did that, completely forgot cold tyres and heavy fuel is a thing, I was way too close to you and my brakes said no.
Other than that, my race was alright, I didn’t make as many mistakes after that, except pitting for my tyres and putting in too little fuel :confused: causing me to have to pit again for 2x 5l cans of fuel.

4 Likes

Dear @DieGrootHammer

I write to you now with a heart of compassion. As a driver taken out on turn 1 in many races, I too know the feeling of realising a race you had the chance to contest for a possible win, has now gotten away from you and there is very little chance of making up the lost ground.

However, the more online races I do it has become very clear that the first lap or 2 needs extra restraint from me so as not to be involved in any incidents. There is no prize money, there is no medal, just the approval of my fellow racers when I do well. So risking it all in the first lap or two is not worth the reward.

When you had your T1 incident, it probably would have been a bit better to exercise some restraint. Insulting fellow drivers, clearly slower than you (you caught up to me in 4th position in 1 lap) and risking overtakes where they were not really on the cards, and thus not expected by fellow racers, does not justify the end reward.

There is no doubt that you are one of the best racers here. We have had some good battles between us, but they end with you in the lead 99% of the time. Just please don’t insult us when we try to race the guy ahead of us and we still hold you back.

With that said, I could certainly have apologised earlier after our incident. At the time I really did not mean to spin you off. And the first few seconds after I did not even realise it was me who made contact with you. But then I was stuborn and refused to apolgise the whole race, simply due to the reaction coming from your side. It was at first humurous, but then your frustration (justified to a degree) was becoming insulting and personal. I have a thick skin, so rather than retreat, I doubled up. What I should have done is man up.

I hereby apologise for being a real tjop about it last night. I hope one day when I grow up to be as potent a driver as you.

6 Likes

Haha look at you guys, being all serious and stuff.

I really wanted to be good at sim racing. But I suck. It made me so angry at some point. Normally when I focus on something and work hard at it I become good. Then sim racing came along and I enjoyed it and I couldn’t see a reason for me not to become good at it.

Then it became frustrating. Random spins. Stupid mistakes. Just being slower. It became so frustrating that I almost quit the F1 league last year. And then, I realised something. This is not something that I excel at. I won’t get good at this. Then I started enjoying the races much more. Just raced and did my thing and had a good laugh.

I envy you guys for being so good but I do have that one advantage now, I can take it much less seriously.

3 Likes

What do you mean almost? You quit the league multiple times :rofl:

5 Likes

:rofl:

I walked right into that one!

3 Likes

Damn. You’ve uncovered my secret.

4 Likes

Glad to see people taking it seriously and as a group we’ve definitely been improving with regard to race etiquette since the cup car championship at the beginning of the year.

We race for fun, first and foremost. For some that means finishing on the podium, for others it means just getting over the finish line after a grueling 1h race. Racing clean means more enjoyable racing for everyone.
I think we are mostly all firmly in the amateur category, so we do make silly mistakes, punt people into the gravel, not overtaking cleanly, etc, but it’s the sentiment behind the mistakes that’s important. We are all allowed to make mistakes. Personally, I’m sure I’ve ruined peoples races before, but I’ve also had my share of being spun round for no good reason.
Being in comms during the race helps a lot, much better then getting your race ruined by some anonymous pleb without so much as an acknowledgement of your existence.

I don’t think anyone here would purposefully drive another driver off the track or into a wall (my finger is itching to hit that penalty button, trust me :grin:).
We have to be mindful that there are people with differing levels of skill, experience and driving style/aggression, leave space and race with an appropriate level of caution.

Moving along…
I think the tyre wear changes made it a more interesting race all round. There were many more position changes than in previous races, and as you can see in the graph below, @DieGrootHammer gained 10 seconds on me while we were on opposite compounds. Had he made it through L1 and 2, it would have been quite interesting up front.
I might just lower the damage for future races.

Are we going back to our normal schedule since we skipped a week? or are we skipping next week?
Either way I downloaded a bunch of USA tracks, will test them out over the next few days. Currently looking at Indianapolis (I found it), Road America, Road Atlanta and Virginia International Raceway.
I’ll probably keep this one going for another 3 races or so.

edit: ZOMG I didn’t realize how much I typed, sorry.

4 Likes

I am keen for next week. I nominate the following tracks, depending on their quality:

• Road America
  • Road Atlanta
  • Circuit of the Americas
3 Likes