Bakers, suggest the best chocolate cake recipes

I need some good light chocolate cake recipes. So if you have any that you’ve tried post them here.

My moms birthday is coming up and I want to bake her a cake that isn’t as heavy and rich like I did last time.

3 Likes

I will get the recipe for you

I’m Canadian, we buy cakes in boxes… One day I’ll make one from scratch, I’m sure…

1 Like

I would highly suggest Milo cookies. The Milo you add does ass that acidity to the cookie that breaks the sweetness enough to make it super tasty

2 Likes

???

Where is the recipe

1 Like

1 cheek + 1 cheek = whole butt

2 Likes

here is the recipe that i have been using. It is quite simple and the order in which you add the ingredients dont impact how the cake will turn out.

INGREDIENTS
1 ¾ cup cake flour
2 cups granulated sugar
¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1½ tsp baking soda
¾ tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk (you can substitute by putting 1 tbs white vinegar in a cup and then filing the cup up with milk; let it stand for 5 min until thickened)
½ cup butter melted
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 cup hot coffee (2 tsp instant coffee in 1 cup boiling water)
INSTRUCTIONS

1. Preheat the oven to 350 f or 177°c. Grease and flour two 22/23 cm baking pans (or line with wax paper) and set aside. i line my pans with wax paper and then use spray and cook instead of using butter to coat the pans.
  2. In a large bowl of a standing mixer, stir together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add eggs buttermilk, meted butter and vanilla extract and beat until smooth (about 3 minutes). Remove bowl from mixer and stir in hot coffee with a rubber spatula. The batter will be very runny.
  3. pour evenly between the two pans and bake on the middle rack of the oven for about 35 min until toothpick inserted n center comes out clean with just a few moist crumbs attached.
  4. Allow to cool 15min in pans, then run a butter knife around the edges of each cake. Tip cakes over onto a wire cooling rack. Let the cakes cool completely before icing.

ICING
340g good quality melting dark chocolate. (checkers has very nice melting chocolate which is not too expensive)
1 cup unsalted butter (butter must be at room temperature otherwise it wont blend nicely)
¼ cup cocoa powder
½ cup icing sugar
pinch of salt
1 tbsp vanilla extract
¼ cup cream (whipping cream works best).

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pot of boiling hot water. (the water must not touch the chocolate). I use a pasta strainer that fits nicely over a pot in which i then put the bowl. keep stirring until most of the chocolate is melted then remove from the heat and keep stirring until there are no lumps of unmelted chocolate. (you can also melt it in the microwave but i have found this does not melt the chocolate nicely and you wont get a smooth melted chocolate this way. Let chocolate cool while you mix the other ingredients. The chocolate must not be too hot when adding to step 2.
  2. Combine butter, cocoa powder, icing sugar and salt in a stand mixer bowl. beat on medium speed until well combined about 1 minute. Reduce speed to low and add vanilla extract whipping cream and cooled chocolate, then turn back speed to medium and beat until pale and very fluffy.
    as the icing will be nice and soft you can start icing the cake.

To make the filling between the layers I use a bit of the icing combined with either caramel or a bit of brandy or jam. The consistency must not be too liquid otherwise the cake will just absorb it. You can also just use the icing as is as a filling.

4 Likes

Ooh dang! Coffee! I’ll have to bookmark this recipe when I get home :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes coffee brings out the chocolate flavour better. :smiley:

2 Likes

Not to mention that extra buzz! (assuming the caffeine survives the baking process)

Also, Bon Appetite has a cake baking series. I’m a fan of the channel (and have a bit of a crush on the one doing these videos), and I’ll definitely give these a second watch if I ever decide to go all out on a cake. Lots of really useful info in there.

2 Likes

This is the best recipe ever. I use it for all my cakes and cupcakes and it always tastes amazing.

INGREDIENTS
4 large eggs
375 ml sugar
125 ml oil
250 ml (warm) water
5 ml vanilla essence (can also use another essence or something like coffee for flavour)
450 ml cake flour
3 t baking powder
pinch of salt
125 ml cocoa (or replace with 3 tbsp cornflour (Maizena) for vanilla cake)

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 180°C
  2. Seperate the egg yolks from the whites.
  3. Mix the sugar little by little with the egg yolks, until it is light and creamy.
  4. Add the oil, warm water and vanilla essence to the sugar mixture.
  5. Sieve the cake flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa together and add to the sugar mixture.
  6. Beat the egg whites until stiff and lightly fold it into the cake mixture. (most important step of all)
  7. Pour into cake trays and bake at 180°C for 25 to 30 minutes (8 - 12 minutes for cupcakes)

For the icing you can do whatever your heart desires, this is where I usually try different things. You can use ganache (double thick cream and chocolate), russian buttercream (condensed milk and butter), caramel treat, etc. Whatever works for you.

3 Likes

oh yes i watched that, picked up some very nice tips. LOVE that channel!!!

1 Like

I just stumbled across this, on an empty stomach no less… I’m drooling!
1,024 votes and 20 comments so far on Reddit

2 Likes