Best Christmas movies of all time

Continuing the discussion from The Witcher: The Netflix Series:

It’s that time of year again. If seeing red and green shop decorations in October and hearing “Jingle Bells” on loop drives you crazy, this topic is meant to be the antidote.

What are some of your favourite movies to watch at Christmas-time and what makes them a Christmas movie?

What are some great Christmas movies that subtly or not-so-subtly subvert Christmas movie and Christmas commerce tropes?

Here’s my incomplete list:

1. Batman Returns (1992)
  2. Gremlins (1994)
  3. Die Hard (1988)
  4. Love Actually (2003)
  5. Home Alone (1990)
  6. Jingle All The Way (1996) (thanks @Mottamort!)
  7. A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas (2011)
3 Likes

My wife will likely make us watch Nightmare before Christmas (I mean, our wedding theme was Halloween and our wedding dance is a nice mash/edit of Sally’s song to include the last song of the movie) since she does that every year…

2 Likes

Some of my personal favourites include, in no specific order:

** Disclaimer: these may not all be xmas themed but I tend to watch them regularly over the xmas period.

3 Likes

Die hard on repeat

6 Likes

My favourite of all time, Fred Clause.

Edit

Second favourite, Jingle all the way.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Die Hard and Home Alone are my favourites.

2 Likes

+1

And yes, Die Hard is the quintessential movie.

2 Likes

Am I the only one who doest do xmas movies?

3 Likes

I’m not a fan of 'em to be honest but the wife and family like 'em so I tolerate 'em. Generally I stay away from the sobby and lovey-dovey ones.

2 Likes

Well you sorta can’t miss them if you have dstv.

2 Likes

See I am not in control of the remote . . . So we get to see sport, news and then he goes to youtube

1 Like

Yes! The Santa Clause was great!

2 Likes

I don’t really do Christmas in general, which a few exceptions. I posted A Christmas Story because I grew up with it, and we still reference it a lot. I think my brother even got a replica of ‘the major award’…

2 Likes

The Great Escape. Not because it is Christmas related, but while in the UK tbis was on TV every Christmas. So i have made that association.

Also, Die Hard is all you really need.

I now have a machine gun. Ho ho ho.

2 Likes

I like quirky, comedic, and slightly weird for my Christmas viewathon.

But yeah, Die Hard really is the only Christmas movie that counts.

* I accept it’s technically not a “movie”, but it’s almost a feature length episode, so it counts. Don’t @ me!

2 Likes

Die Hard, and when you’ve finished Die Hard, Die Hard II.

4 Likes

I see your Grinch and raise you How The Grinch Stole Christmas. The echo in the cave has to be the funniest scene!

4 Likes

Ah the one with Taylor Momsen. She went from that to this.

Well, there is a new Santa movie coming out with Mel Gibson that looks… different.
Fatman

4 Likes