Brute Force Competition 2022

Last year so many people won! This year we’ll be doing it a bit differently. Before we set everything in stone, you are welcome to give your input on the rules.

The proposed rules are:

• You get 1 point for creating a topic.
  • You get 1 point for replying to topics 30 times.
  • You get 1 point for creating an article.
  • A week starts on a Monday. You get until midnight on Sunday to create your topics, write your replies and post an article.
  • You can get max 1 point for each per week. So 3 points max per week.
  • The winner is the person with the most points at the end of the competition.

I am the organiser of this competition and my word is law. If I disqualify someone then my word counts. I won’t be unfair though. I mean the whole idea is to create discussion not have fights and things.

We need both participants and sponsors and yes you can be both. You don’t have to sponsor to participate. Please, if you struggle money wise then don’t sponsor. We know things are tough out there.

The competition starts on the 31st of January . All participants have to register before then. We will accept more sponsors during the year however. The competition ends on 27 November .

Prize Money will be split:
1st: 60%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 10%

If the winners end up with the same amount of points then the money get split. For instance a tie of 2 people for first:
1st: 45%
45%
3rd: 10%
and so forth.

Please post if you would like to participate or sponsor.

Standings
@GregRedd - 114
@czc - 83
@DarthMol - 65
@Wyvern - 51
@Beo - 46
@DieGrootHammer - 11

Sponsors
@czc R240
@DarthMol R200
@GregRedd R240
@Wyvern R240
(@Solitude has R40 of the above people already)
@Solitude - R200
@DieGrootHammer - R200
@SIGSTART - R200

5 Likes

People who competed/sponsored/shown interest in the past:

@Wlad
@FriedPet
@Blazzok
@czc
@DarthMol
@DieGrootHammer
@SIGSTART
@Solitude
@Wyvern
@Beo
@MetalSoup

Everyone’s welcome!

5 Likes

Me please R240 :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

You know what, I’ll take up the challenge and participate. I’ll also sponsor an additional R200 to the prize pool as well.

As for the rules, I like the idea of rather scoring points and trying to get as close as possible to the grand total of 129 possible points (if my math is correct). it means that you do not have to feel forced each week by penalty of strikes to achieve all the targets, but doing so nets you more overall points. It’s feels a bit better as the more you participate, the more points you get.

5 Likes

Sure, I will participate. I will see later in the year if able to sponsor.

3 Likes

@Solitude you can push my donation up to R200 in total.

I will join in the fun. I think the points idea is really great, it will generate some nice healthy competition. Maybe, if there are enough participants we could do a 1st 2nd and 3rd prize, that way even if you’ve fallen a bit behind there is still a chance of netting 3rd place if you push. It will help keep more people in the running.

The prize allocations could be:

1st - 50% of prize pool
2nd - 30%
3rd - 20%

Or you could make it 60%, 25% and 15% to weight it more to the winner.

5 Likes

Sure I’ll give it another go this year.

Also will top up with R200 to make it R240.

I can see this points thing being a challenge.

4 Likes

Thanks everyone who has entered and sponsored so far!

What do you think of @DarthMol’s suggestion regarding the prize money?

2 Likes

I quite like this, could even go further to make 70%, 20%, and 10%. But yeah, the point is to drive content and boost activity and involvement, the winner should feel like one with runners-up.

3 Likes

Yip, I’m in again to participate this year. And will put in another R200 contribution to the prize pot - add it to the R40 carried over.

Darth’s idea to have 3 winners is a good idea - I’d be happier knowing there were 3 possible prizes rather than possibly having one of the two people who maybe tie at the end getting nothing through the fates of a coin toss.

4 Likes

I changed the prize rule. Please check if everyone’s happy with that.

2 Likes

Happy!

Now to start thinking of topic and article ideas. Also for those joining who’ve never written an article for MEW maybe we need to do a tutorial or something. I think they’d need to be given access as well?

5 Likes

Definitely!

I’m ashamed to say that I know nothing about it.

4 Likes

Happy with the prize split.

As for article posting through Ghost, @SIGSTART did a full “How To” for it right near the start of MEW:

https://community.mostepic.win/t/how-to-use-ghosts-amazing-features-and-markdown/552

I’m sure it’s gone through a couple of changes since then, but the fundamentals should be much the same. Basically, if you’ve ever used a word processor, you’ll be fine. If you’ve ever used anything like WordPress before, you’ll master it even quicker.

I think @SIGSTART, as the server owner and admin, is the only one who can authorise access to that side of MEW. Let’s wait until we have a confirmed list of participants, and then we can ask him to set up all of those who need access at once.

There’s a couple of other posts giving guidance on layout standards and the requirements for tags and linking posts to Twitter and Facebook which I can try track down later as well.

The only other thing to consider is the need for article editing before they are published. The SOP is to keep your article in a draft state until someone else has had a chance to edit it. So if you’re writing an article at 11:30 on Sunday night to try make the midnight deadline, that article may only be edited and published sometime on Monday. When will participants score a point for an article? Only when it’s published? Or when they request an edit of their finalised draft?

4 Likes

Valid point as it would then mean that persons article is dependant on another person to vet it before being published, but yes, I believe the point should only be awarded once published and visible to gen-pop before midnight on Sunday.

4 Likes

I’m game and love the points!

I’m sure I will be around to publish the stories for those and edit, I’m not as good at it as The Grand Poohbah but I can do it

3 Likes

Another concern I have is of @Solitude having to validate all this every week. It must be a tedious task among your other responsibilities, I hope you aren’t biting off more than you can chew. I can assist if and when needed of course.

5 Likes

I’ve had a thought. How about including activity on Discord for the competition? It’s another avenue where we have a bunch of gamers, and more MEW activity is always better. I guess that makes the monitoring of the weekly points more tedious so potentially could get more people to assist @Solitude in getting this done.

5 Likes

I’m happy to sponsor R200 this year and help with the Ghost frontend admin and such.

Don’t bother tracking my points @Solitude. I’ll just be an embarrassment :rofl: :rofl:

On the plus side — work is great!

5 Likes

@Wyvern
@Beo
@DarthMol
@czc
@GregRedd

How do you feel about @DieGrootHammer’s idea of including Discord? Personally I don’t use Discord much and if you do want to include it, I’d prefer not to do the monitoring there.

Then something else I’ve been thinking of. When you create your topic or your article for the week. Please post a link to it in this thread to make my life easier.

3 Likes