Brute Force Competition 2022

Will do the linking thing, I don’t use discord to chat on at all. So no idea

2 Likes

Don’t know how you’d monitor and measure Discord activity to be honest. And what minimums would be required. I’d say stick to what we have.

No problem with linking articles here.

2 Likes

Not sure if posting on discord would distract from posts here which is what we want. So best to stick with the system as is.

Discord more fun for voice anyway. :smiley:

3 Likes

Let me explain my thinking further on the usage of Discord.

The world of online engagement has changed and is fast changing in SA as well. Centralized platforms such as Discord or Reddit are places where most people tend to spend time discussing and engaging with online communities of various kinds. Most of which are gaming related. Forums as we knew it has changed and the concept has slowly been dying and dropping in activity as more and more people move to these centralized platforms.

The initial purpose of the Brute Force competition was also to spark more engagement in this community, have people post more things more frequently and keep the community alive. And it has done an excellent job at doing just that. But it would be foolish to ignore a channel such as Discord for the future health of the MEW community.

To be honest, I can see a future where, 5 years from now, we have transitioned fully from this site to Discord or a similar space. While I believe that this is still future stuff, I tend to think we need to keep a focus on our Discord server already. Cultivating the same discussions, engagements and sense of community already on there would be beneficial for the future.

At the moment there are 204 members on Discord, which as of writing this 33 are online. Many of those members I recognise as frequent posters on this forum, but many others I never even see here on the site. Yet some of them are in Discord MEW channels almost every night. Now imagine getting those lurkers involved more into the community with various posts, either here or (preferably) in Discord. It can only mean growth and ultimately the survival of the community as a whole.

That was roughly the train of thought I was on when I suggested Discord as a potential avenue of content and engagement. But it is totally up for debate and discussion whether or not it is included in this competition. Should you feel the spirit of the Brute Force is to focus on the site alone, that’s great!

5 Likes

This makes sense to me. I’ve found that the discord servers of the sim racing leagues I’m involved in serve as the activity hub of discussion, both on topic and off topic.

The monitoring of the chats is the tricky bit.

2 Likes

While I agree with many points that @DieGrootHammer is making, I personally don’t use Discord that much, if at all.

1 Like

We may move to Discord in the future but for now it looks like we will leave it out of the competition. Thanks everyone!

5 Likes

So, are we go/no go for launch at 00:00:01 on Monday?

4 Likes

Yes we are!

I will send out a reminder to everyone either tomorrow or Monday morning.

3 Likes

Someones gonna start a thread/topic at this time, aren’t they.

4 Likes

@Wyvern
@DieGrootHammer
@Beo
@DarthMol
@czc
@GregRedd

Tomorrow you start the competition! May it go well and may it be a good year. When you create a topic or an article, please post a link here to make my life easier. You are welcome to post links in one post. I’ll count them in the next week.

Good luck and have fun!

6 Likes

Good luck everyone.

4 Likes

Good luck everyone!

3 Likes

I have a document with currently 12 different thread ideas. The question is just which one to start out with for the week.

And good luck to everyone!

4 Likes

Here’s a pro-tip for you @DieGrootHammer

6 Likes

@Solitude are the rules in the first post the final rules?

1 Like

As far as I know yea

1 Like

Yes but if I missed anything please let me know. We can always change as necessary.

1 Like

Can we change it right at the end to include that I am exempt from any failure state and exclude anyone from any chance of winning? :smiley:

3 Likes

You forgot the bribery part…

4 Likes