Can you guys/gals give me some upgrade advice please?

Sounds like a 60fps capable rig

2 Likes

I saw this yesterday , I would still not get ram lower than the Front side bus/Memory Controllers default on the CPU itself which is 3200Mhz, but ya its not as finicky with ram anymore likely due to the separated controller.

With ram prices that have gone down and the differences in price being marginal between speeds you would be doing yourself a disservice not going 3200Mhz or higher if you can for a extra R200 or so

1 Like

I see the R5 3600 is only a little bit more expensive.

I see you already creeping over budget but is it not possible to spend a tiny bit more for a bit more future proofing?

1 Like

Not bad, I would maybe try get a slightly bigger PSU and rather a RX 570 , while its great that you get a ssd with the card that mini GPU is going to be slower than a normal one and the 1650 already has a bad reputation, the Rx 570 are a bit better in performance roughly 10FPS or more in some situations

Price is a bit less so you can still get a SSD right now donā€™t know when you have the budget.

https://www.wootware.co.za/xfx-radeon-rx-570-rs-xxx-edition-rx-570p4dfd6-4gb-gddr5-256-bit-pci-e-3-0-desktop-graphics-card.html?utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=banner&utm_content=XFX+Radeon+RX+570+RS+XXX+Edition+RX-570P4DFD6+4GB+&utm_campaign=featured%20product

2 Likes

I agree; I mentioned it in a previous post. The 1650 really isnā€™t good value for money.

1 Like

ya its was a field day with reviewers when that thing came out just a cash grab from all the naming confusion I feel.

2 Likes

Danger lights here. Based on that spreadsheet that @Pr0fPyr0 linked yesterday, this is a mATX board, and not a very good one at that. Its Ryzen 3000 support is borderline, so you can forget about upgrades for future chips.

1 Like

true, then again if its about trying to get to 60 FPS which Iā€™m assuming is the case since its a budget build then the 2600 should serve well in budget range for a good few years, you would prob need to do your GPU first to get up to 60FPs before the CPU is an issue really and by then its time for overhauling again.

2 Likes

For running a midrange CPU at stock, itā€™s fine, yes. Iā€™m just a little wary these days of boards that might be suspect in the VRM department.

1 Like

you watch too much buildzoid :wink: doublers anyone

2 Likes

I honestly donā€™t watch as much of his stuff as I would maybe like to, theyā€™re just too long! Iā€™d prefer to be slightly paranoid rather than ignorant; after all, buying PC components is helluva expensive these days, so you donā€™t want to spend money on something that will let you down.

1 Like

Final build and buying parts from evetech and rebeltech based on current prices. Also going to attempt building it myself (ā€¦/bites nails). R10 761

Corsair VS CP-9020170, 450w
DeepCool XFAN 120, 120mm, Black x4
DeepCool Tesseract BF, Midi Tower, Black, ATX
G.Skill Ripjaws V F4-3200C16D-16GVKB, 16GB Kit, DDR4-3200, CL16
AMD Ryzen 5 2600
ASUS PRIME B450M-A
Gigabyte Radeon RX 570
120gb SSD

5 Likes

Looks a pretty decent build. Iā€™m still not super keen on the mobo, but you wonā€™t fit anything better into the budget without cutting somewhere else. Either way, the improvement over your current setup will be staggering.

2 Likes

That PSU is on the raged edge of not being enough , I would highly recommend bumping it up to at least a 500W or 550W.

Also when are you buying ? You can save like R400 if you buy the GPU from wootware at the moment.

Edit: also where are you from if you in the western cape I can swing round and supervise your build if you want :nerd_face:

2 Likes

450W should be OK for the moment; the 570 isnā€™t a power-hungry card, and the 2600 is only a 65W CPU. For future proofing, yes, a 500W would be better.

1 Like

Looking at a typical setup with those components looks like your right, also talking about VRMā€™s and FPS on old vs new boards

2 Likes

Jip, just found that one and posted it in the Ryzen 3000 thread.

Wonder why your video links donā€™t embed properly?

1 Like

The link needs to be on a line of its own to embed.

2 Likes

Finally ordered all the parts, I tweaked my order based on ALL the suggestions here and from friends. Downgraded the CPU to a Ryzen 5 1600 (low I know, still an upgrade on my dying intel), upgraded the mobo to x470 for future proofing (can always buy a gen 3 CPU later when they come down in price), upgraded the PSU to 500w. I bought the Radeon 570 from wootware since it was on such a nice special.

All the local dealers in PMB were charging me almost double on 16gb RAM, they must have old stock and trying to clear it at that price. Also their radeon cards were like R4-5k, insane.

I just want to thank EVERYONEā€™s input in this thread, it was most productive to me and I learned a lot. Where you gals and guys get the time to keep up to speed with these developments, escapes me.

Now to nervously await the arrival of the parts of doom and to overcome my fear or putting the 60fps puzzle together :wink:

9 Likes

Congrats! Iā€™d say you made some pretty solid picks overall. Iā€™m currently rocking a 1600, you wonā€™t be disappointed. Itā€™s a fantastic CPU.

2 Likes