Coffee Lovers Thread

Yea my favourite filter is and will always be LaVazza, got addicted to it in Australia.

Also UK starbucks was decent, weirdly Aussie Starbucks was horrible. South African one haven’t tried yet.

The LaVazza I just cant afford here which is sad

2 Likes

Every starbucks is horrible.

2 Likes

Just remember the Brits till this day still don’t understand the wonders that is real coffee. All the places I tried coffee at was gross, the Starbucks was drinkable with lots of milk
And whatever coffee blend we served at the hotel I worked at was amazing

2 Likes

Seattle Coffee is not too bad. I like their double short latte and the Butterscotch latte.

2 Likes

I normally go to vida e rather - the are more convenient but I havent done that in months cos its too expensive

1 Like

Ya, I do like Seattle Coffee. They were bought out by starbucks iirc. I guess they needed to sell good coffee for a change ^^

Funny that the UK’s startbucks is decent, but if the rest of the coffee sucks, it seems their main brand just likes to go against the grain of wherever they are based :smile:

3 Likes

Nescafe all the way for instant, and for proper coffee j get the batista at the coffee shop at my work to make me some, they also sell the beans so I get those

4 Likes

I would love a proper coffee machine. Had a bean to cup in my old office which was great.

Currently I either use a hario v60 for pour over or make a big French press of coffee.
My French press gives me almost 3 cups which I start the day with.

My favourite go to if I don’t get sleep is a shot from a bialetti (That stove top thing) topped with coffee from a French press.

3 Likes

I really don’t like their coffee, I mean it’s by no means Ricoffee levels of bad, but there are better options.

3 Likes

As long as it doesn’t taste like watered-down gravel, I’m all good.

2 Likes

This is true.

I’ve taken quite a fancy to Vida’s Bomba (I think it’s called), which is a tripple shot of espresso in a mucho cup.

1 Like

Normally we just purchase whatever “good” instant coffee is on special, normally Douwe Egberts, Jocobs or Nescafe Gold range.

I have a little extra funds this month and the idea popped in my head to buy one of these capsule based machines. Does anyone make use of these and are they worth the price?

4 Likes

I remember the first time I used one of those capsule machines at a remote job I was doing back in 2003. They coffees were really good. All paid for by the company though.

Personally, I don’t think they’re worth the money unless they have refillable cups that you can use your own grounds in. I haven’t looked into it, but if not, you’ll be stuck with their coffee or compatible pods, and if they stop making pods, you’ll have a useless machine that no one will buy second hand.

That’s always been my thinking behind it though. The convenience factor doesn’t even enter the equation for me.

2 Likes

Well I was at Vida this morning getting some java put into my veins and saw they sell capsules along with beans and was just wondering.

Surely a lot of those capsules are universal?

2 Likes

https://www.google.com/search?q=nespresso+reusable+pod&rlz=1C1GCEA_enZA762ZA762&oq=nespresso+re&aqs=chrome.4.69i57j0l7.5415j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

A quick google told me they have refillable pods. If you go for name brand pods, the coffee can work out to between 5 - 10 Rand per pod.

1 Like

Some plastic pods, melt around the spiked nozzle, where the hot water flows through. Not all pods are made equal, and at least with the 2nd gen nespresso machine, can proper fuck your machine up.

3 Likes

Just had my first Cortado.

Oh my dayum, it was great.

2 Likes

Just had a fantastic cappuccino at Home Bru in Umhlanga… Sweet and creamy with no need for sugar! Next time I will do a full breakfast, their menu looks great too!

2 Likes

I want coffee too!

1 Like

Reviving this thread - I need good alternatives for nespresso pods. my dad was gifted a machine (the coffee that came with it is so blah!) And now he wants more options

2 Likes