Contributor Code of Conduct

Feedback to the meeting from last night. Here is the code of conduct I mentioned, adapted for our purpose with a reference to The Hacker Manifesto.

Feel free to weigh in.

Contributor Covenant Code of Conduct

Our Pledge

In the interest of fostering an open and welcoming environment, we as contributors and moderators pledge to making participation in our community a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of age, body size, disability, ethnicity, gender identity and expression, level of experience, education, socio-economic status, nationality, personal appearance, race, religion, or sexual identity and orientation.

Our Standards

Examples of behavior that contributes to creating a positive environment include:

• Using welcoming and inclusive language
  • Being respectful of differing viewpoints and experiences
  • Gracefully accepting constructive criticism
  • Focusing on what is best for the community
  • Showing empathy towards other community members

Examples of unacceptable behavior by participants include:

• The use of inappropriate sexualised language or imagery and unwelcome sexual attention or advances
  • Trolling, insulting/derogatory comments, and personal or political attacks
  • Public or private harassment
  • “Doxxing”, or publishing others’ private information, such as a physical or electronic address, without explicit permission
  • Other conduct which could reasonably be considered inappropriate in a professional setting

Specific areas where members are advised to exercise caution are:

• Advertising, shilling, and spamming: Joining any online community with the express purpose to advertise, promote a brand you represent, or place free backlinks to your site will just get you banned.

• Religion: We generally don’t discuss real-world religions. If you must start or contribute to a religious discussion, you have a fine line to walk to ensure you remain respectful and open to correction at all times.

• Politics: As with religion, while we recognise that the world of politics might occasionally intersect the realm of entertainment (e.g. games as “murder simulators”), we generally steer clear. If you must, then you walk the line.

• Race, gender, sexuality: Unless you are working on a thesis, or you are looking for feedback on a story or something else you are creating, it seems unlikely that you will have any reason to go there. So don’t.

• Derogatory and disparaging remarks: “You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar.” Nothing comes back to bite you quite like freedom of speech. People get fired for what they say on Facebook and Twitter. Think twice before you name and shame, and take special care with your tone when you are offering criticism.

Our Responsibilities

Moderators are responsible for clarifying the standards of acceptable behaviour and are expected to take appropriate and fair corrective action in response to any instances of unacceptable behaviour.

Moderators have the right and responsibility to remove, edit, or reject comments, wiki edits, images, posts, and other contributions that are not aligned to this Code of Conduct, or to ban temporarily or permanently any contributor for other behaviours that they deem inappropriate, threatening, offensive, or harmful.

Scope

This Code of Conduct applies within the forum and articles or blog posts, and when an individual is representing Most Epic Win or its community in other public spaces. Examples of representing the site or community include using an official e-mail address, posting via an official social media account, or acting as an appointed representative at an online or offline event. Representation of the community may be further defined and clarified by project maintainers.

Enforcement

Instances of abusive, harassing, or otherwise unacceptable behavior may be reported by contacting the moderators. All complaints will be reviewed and investigated and will result in a response that is deemed necessary and appropriate to the circumstances. The moderation team is obligated to maintain confidentiality with regard to the reporter of an incident. Further details of specific enforcement policies may be posted separately.

Moderators who do not follow or enforce the Code of Conduct in good faith may face temporary or permanent repercussions as determined by site administrators and other members of the moderation team.

Attribution

This Code of Conduct is adapted from the Contributor Covenant, version 1.4, and The Hacker Manifesto (The Conscience of a Hacker by Loyd Blankenship, a.k.a. The Mentor).

6 Likes

Here is the portion of The Hacker Manifesto that always resonated with me. Now that I’m older I realise the world is a more complex mess than I could’ve ever imagined, but this reminds me of how optimistic I was about the potential of the Internet.

We explore… and you call us criminals. We seek after knowledge… and you call us criminals. We exist without skin color, without nationality, without religious bias… and you call us criminals. You build atomic bombs, you wage wars, you murder, cheat, and lie to us and try to make us believe it’s for our own good, yet we’re the criminals.

Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like.

1 Like

At first I thought this was redundant for an online community but if someone does post something about themselves a troll might try to weaponise it.

I like the edits.

3 Likes