Coronavirus - COVID-19

Wish they want to add Recoveries onto that graphic as well - we need every bit of positivity here.

3 Likes

I agree, from the reports I have seen, we have 2 recoveries so far

4 Likes

I like how they had to give the simple maths there too.

Tests conducted - positive cases = negative cases

you know, in case you couldn’t figure that out on your own.

5 Likes

Its because we live in a country with idiots

3 Likes

That is how non linear, logarithmic scales work, the climb gets steeper and steeper until you have to keep pushing the axis to accommodate it. It is easy to see how we will have thousands by week end.

3 Likes

2 people in NC, which means they need to come to kby to get to a hospital, which means i am next to get sick since i doubt our boss will let us work from home.

1 Like

Official stats portal from the NICD. Looks like they’re using the John Hopkins code. Pig slow at the moment, and not (from what I can determine) updated in real time. Still shows 0 recoveries. Also can’t get the map heat/size markers to work, but assume it only shows on a provincial basis.

Web:
https://gis.nicd.ac.za/portal/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/0ec12f471aaa4055999366669b38482d

Mobile:
https://gis.nicd.ac.za/portal/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/2c566e3f14fd49c49244ae6abe8ce3e6

3 Likes

Wits has launched its own COVID-19 data dashboard. It’s much prettier than the official ones, but still has yesterday’s numbers on it. Also doesn’t report recoveries.

https://www.wits.ac.za/covid19/

3 Likes

Props to Trudeau.

“Go home, stay home” and “Enough is enough”

4 Likes

Wrote a spiel on Twitter that I think is worth pasting in here.

Hey, folks. It’s a scary, uncertain time. We are being bombarded with statistics and it is easy to fixate on two numbers: confirmed infections and deaths. Today, the Minister of Health announced the latest numbers: 402 confirmed cases in ZA.

It came as a shock. Yesterday we were at 274, then suddenly today we’re at 402! That’s an increase of 128 — the biggest we’ve seen yet.

But that’s completely the wrong way to look at it.

You must also look at the number of new test results that came in between yesterday and today — 3500. In other words, 3.7% of the test results that came in yesterday were positive for SARS-CoV-2.

That is not unusually high compared to previous days.

Hat-tip to my colleagues at MyBroadband for putting together some graphs that help illustrate how today’s numbers really compare to previous days, in context:

That said, this is not intended to downplay the severity of the issue.

Yes, the number of confirmed positive cases didn’t increase disproportionately, but that doesn’t mean everything is fine.

Ideally, we want the number of infections to stop, but we also know that’s not going to happen.

The number of new positive cases is almost certainly going to keep increasing for awhile.

We will only be able to measure the impact of the lockdown in the weeks ahead. Right now we’re still mostly measuring infections that happened before Cyril Ramaphosa declared the state of disaster.

The News24 folks did an article showing some of the projections that our government is working with to inform its decisions:

Early projections from sacema.org showed that if just 10% of South Africa’s population gets infected with SARS-CoV-2, around 87900 people could die. It projected that 1.2 million would need hospitalisation, and 300k would need critical care.

No doubt Ramaphosa and his Council have the latest figures to help them make whatever decision being announced tonight. The question they have to answer is: given current data, will the infection rate be low enough for South Africa’s hospitals to cope?

5 Likes

Welp, it’s official.

Nationwide lockdown: 2020-03-25T22:00:00Z → 2020-04-15T22:00:00Z.

At least we have a “back in my day” story for the grandkids now.

9 Likes

yup I really hope this works

5 Likes

sweet, nothing better than “medical vacation”

1 Like

I’m expecting a delivery tomorrow or Thursday. Hope this doesn’t affect it.

1 Like

So lockdown as expected.

3 Likes

yeah should be a good thing or else the people will die in droves, since we have a high number of people with hiv and such.

3 Likes

So working from home for the next 3.5 weeks. Will be very interesting to see how my team and i collab through this period

3 Likes

Essential question - can we buy beer? Or do I need to take a 4 tonner down there tomorrow and stockpile.

5 Likes

While everyone was busy buying toilet paper I was stockpiling beer. But I might need to buy more tomorrow.

We should class liquor stores as essential retail just like gamestop classified themselves essential retail.

4 Likes

I saw signs at PNP saying you can only buy alcohol at certain hours… Only had enough for 1 box of wine, so I’ll just have to make sure when I do go for groceries again, its during that time lol

3 Likes