Coronavirus - COVID-19

Makes sense. We made the decision less than a week ago to posptone the celebration portion of our wedding until next year, due to uncertainty in whats going on…so of course things are gonna go back to normal faster now :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Hey Viper just checking in, hope you are recovering well!

2 Likes

EN hoe gaan dit met julle?

1 Like

0 symptoms all of us, not even so much as a cough or runny nose, so think it was a false positive, will be going back into the world on monday. Which means I have to go back to work :frowning:

4 Likes

It’s not necessarily a false positive - the current estimates are that around half of all infections remain asymptomatic. An asymptomatic infection remains highly infectious, so well done on isolating in spite of believing that it’s a false positive!
Figuring out what the asymptomatic rate is, is quite difficult at the moment, mainly because the focus is on managing the symptomatic cases, it’s all anyone has capacity to do. Once the severe phase of the worldwide pandemic is over, the smart people will likely figure out exactly what the asymptomatic infection rate is, but for now they’re going on “roughly half”.

4 Likes

You are not wrong, we could all be carriers at the moment, however the person who cleaned our house does not show signs of infection either, now it is possible she can also be asymptomatic, but damn, the odds would be quite something to have both our whole household and her not show symptoms.

Will clarify she only came back to work for us after about three weeks of us in self isolation.

3 Likes

That’s a great general plan, IMHO.

I also realised that I’m pretty full of it, preaching about a false positive, where I’m absolutely convinced that my last test was a false negative. :rofl:

2 Likes

We’re doing fine thanks. As soon as I can get rid of this annoying cough, then all will be well. I think that is the cause of what is tiring my out as well.

3 Likes
2 Likes

I am so happy to hear that!

1 Like

Wow, those are some sobering, scary and terribly stats! Gulp!

4 Likes

What scares me more is the fact that the WC is the only ones readily admitting to it.

I also have little faith in the numbers we are getting from other provinces. We are beyond screwed.

2 Likes

I reckon once the dust settles the unemployment rates will be around 50~60% if this lockdown persits.

2 Likes

i think that still low think going to be 70% +

3 Likes
2 Likes

This is the one that hits close to home for me:

• In the Western Cape, our tourism sector is expected to lose 104 504 jobs (60% of the sector) in 2020.

60%!!

And as @Wyvern says, this is just the WC. The rest of the country is the same or worse.

2 Likes

My sister is the Events Manager at the Radisson Blu in Port Elizabeth. She has been at home since lockdown… They’re only running with skeleton staff atm. Obviously not many events to manage, so it hits quite close to home here as well.

My wife and I had a day trip to Addo National Park yesterday. Now that was a sad sight. There were approximately 5 vehicles in the park. The rangers at the gate said that over weekends it isn’t much better.

3 Likes

Was watching a video from Mark Rober and like he mentioned, the only to fly was for him to organise a private jet, then the hotel they were staying at was pretty empty so they essentially had an entire resort to themselves. Not trying to paint light on the subject, but it also gives some perspective and makes the weight of the matter really hit home.

3 Likes

My family and I went to the local Tala nature reserve last Sunday, just outside Pietermaritzburg. We expected the same but when we got there, the car queue was down the road. When we left 5 hours later, the queue was even bigger. The campsite was packed with people braaing and kids running around.

3 Likes

cc @Wyvern

3 Likes