Dirt Rally 2.0 [MEWRL]

We shall be Team Not Renault!

2 Likes

@GregRedd Howsit, can you approve my request to join the MEW DIRT 2 CLUB? U: Munage725

4 Likes

@aldyr im da new guy!

3 Likes

WElcome to the madness!

1 Like

Since it was my suggestion and knowledge is free, here is some info on tyre wear.

TL;DR: 20km soft, 36km medium, 45km hard.

Detailed info:
Bare in mind short vs long stages vary in kmā€™s per location, but also road surface wear tyres at different speeds too (tarmac, find gravel, coarse gravel, snow, ice).

There are 3 states of tyre, new, used, worn. When at a repair station, go to tyres, and youā€™ll see the tyre status bottom right. You can in theory drive on worn forever. They do not stop working, they just have very little grip. They are prone to punctures, if you hit a hard edge, rock, sharp edge of a road shoulder. I think the chance of a puncture from impact is tied to the both compound and wear (but this is a guess on my part). You will know itā€™s worn. The car will slide like itā€™s wearing socks on hardwood flooring.

To test, (with mitsubishi space cadet) I setup random stages of usa, dry weather, with stage lengths of: 6, 12, 6, 6, 6, 6, 12, 6

20km : soft. personally, i donā€™t like driving it past 25km, itā€™s ice skating (worn)
36km : medium. By 36kmā€™s it was definitely used, but still very driveable. somewhere in between 36 and 42kmā€™s, the grip fell off of a cliff.
45kms : hard, grips drops off very very gradually. 2nd last stage (12kmā€™er), grip disappeared. so iā€™d say 45km to be safe, though you can probably stretch it to 48km.

Some things are better measured in time, but time is too specific to the stage/distance that was tested against. All i can tell you is:

• A new medium tyre is noticeably faster than a worn soft (double digits in seconds).
  • A new medium tyre is only a little slower (a few seconds) than new soft.
  • new mediums are noticeably better than new hards, but the pendulum swings back at about the 30km mark, where mediums start to fall off faster than hards.

And lastly, it goes without saying, if it rains on the last stage, where your tyres will already have started wearing, the rain amplifies the lack of grip, eg. Wales. Similar to hitting ice in Monaco. Beware the weather!

7 Likes

Confirmed hard tyre wear distanceā€™ish.

2 Likes

Thank you for your service! :grinning:

Letā€™s get racing!!

2 Likes

Welcome to the Club @Munage - very glad to have you here. Except of course if you drive as well or better than @aldyr - then not so much :stuck_out_tongue:.

Will we able to get to my PC in about 45 mins and will confirm your allocated car then.

1 Like

So yeah, clearly a little longer than 45 minutesā€¦ sorry.

@Munage, as entrant #12, you have been randomly allocated the third Skoda Fabia to use for this Championship - good luck!

1 Like

Awesome, Thanks! :grin:

3 Likes

Final adjustments made to the season events and format. Couldnā€™t add more than 3 stages (max is 12 in DR2) so made a couple more events 12 stages long:

So Wales, Sweden, Australia, and the final round in everyoneā€™s favourite, Argentina, all get longer events.

Also note the small change I made to the start date and time. Instead of starting on Saturday morning, weā€™ll start each new event at midnight Sunday morning. That way youā€™ll have a Sunday, a full weekend and the next Saturday to get your times recorded.

Only other change is the service stops. As mentioned, on the 9 stage events weā€™ll have just two stops, with one additional stop on the longer events.

The stage routes, weather conditions and surface deg settings were all randomly generated. Iā€™ll post the route for each event sometime in the weekend before so that you can have a little practice time ahead of the start.

In case you missed it earlier in the week, and want to practice tomorrow, hereā€™s a reminder of the route and stages for Round 1 in New England, USA:

Good luck, drive carefully, donā€™t cut!!

7 Likes

Thanks @GregRedd, looking forward to it.

1 Like

Now why donā€™t you partake in your own little pain experiment, @GregRedd?

1 Like

I possibly might this time with a little more effort :smiley:

I do genuinely want to try improve in all the driving games - just honestly canā€™t find the time to dedicate to practicing properly, or even just playing the content in the games. Like I realized while I was setting up the events for this season that I havenā€™t actually driven a single stage in 7 of the 12 venues yet - and DR2 is a game Iā€™ve had since launch :neutral_face:

But yes, I do want to at least try all 12 of these events - even if it is all last minute and only gets me a participation point. :muscle:

4 Likes

Well I am rooting for you! :smiley:

2 Likes

:laughing:

1 Like

I donā€™t either XD Letā€™s be amateurs together! I just played DR2 last night for the first time.

1 Like

I have setups for the spaceship to share. Ease the pain a littleā€¦

1 Like

DMs are open :smiley:

Vee Duub!

3 Likes