Don’t Assume My Topic Thread

Yesterday at the beach with @Wyvern was wonderful. Sydney’s timing was hilarious! I also got a little bit cooked, but mostly on my arms. Sydney was very sad when we left, he adores @Wyvern and I think he was hoping she would come home with us. He has another giant bag of snacks though! As predicted, he was falling asleep in the car. He tried to fight it, he really did, but he was thoroughly knackered after his epic beach adventure :blush:

2 Likes

I Have to say that i am in agreement with @Beo here. Drawing and colouring is definitely something that can be learned, but as with most things practice makes perfect. The more you do it the better you get. Also getting exposure to different styles/techniques/mediums also help to hone in your craft.

None of the great artist out there started out brilliant. They had to work at their craft.

5 Likes

The debate continues! I love it!

Okay so I totally agree that art and drawing has a massive amount of skill needed. For example I can, with the proper skill and training, learn how to draw a beautiful tree. Where my point of talent comes in, is taking all those skills and techniques practiced for years and creating something beautiful from nothing. That is not a skill that can be taught. Anyone can draw something you see, but only those with true talent can draw something with emotion, with feeling, with passion. Like I said, I know I’ll be able to draw a tree, but I cannot come up with the creative vision to draw the Mulberry Tree that Van Gogh did. That is where talent makes a difference.

3 Likes

So we’re all drawing a tree?

3 Likes

I’m just gonna leave this here

Edit: He’s better than me

3 Likes

Good morning everyone.

:smiley:

3 Likes

Interesting discussion. I think of myself as a very creative person, I did creative arts at school all the way to grade 12. I quickly learned that I had a talent for creating new things, placing old things in new contexts to extract and show meaning or to allude to meaning to an observer. This is art.

What also was apparent to me very soon in that 3 year art track at school is that I lacked the raw talent to put what is in my head into a “good” real world format. If I tried to draw/paint/sculpt what was in my head, it looked NOTHING like what I wanted it to look. I had to work, very very hard to even get the basics of shading/proportion etc mastered in order to create art that looked at least a little like what I had arranged in my head. Those skills came naturally to others around me. Some of them could recreate real world things easily but with little imagination, others could do both without struggling.

The point I am making is that creating art if a combination of many things, a person might have some of those elements naturally and others have to be trained. Very few have all of it naturally. I see the same frustration in my youngest kid, she has even better artistic vision than I do but none of the natural gifts some of her friends have with drawing etc. I can only hope that she finds some way to express her creativity that does not frustrate her and turn her away from it.

7 Likes

Morning.
:grinning::wave:

2 Likes

To carry on the discussion. Both sides are correct. Without practice talent is not worth much. Raw talent can only get you so far, after which you need to practice to develop. You can practice and get good but I feel without talent you won’t be great. Although it is possible that practice does lead to talent I still think there must be a spark there that combines to form a great artist.

3 Likes

Morning people of the palace

Completely overslept, not sure how or why

3 Likes

Good morning! I lack the energy to even.

4 Likes

complete your sentence?

3 Likes

Its going to be half sentences all

4 Likes

I know what you

3 Likes

I am in ag

2 Likes

What are you people

3 Likes

the real question should be