Don’t Assume My Topic Thread

Morning all. New month of five Mondays to look forward to. :expressionless:

:smiley: :wave:t2:

2 Likes

Five?! Five of the bastids?

I think I need to take week off somewhere, I’m struggling to stay energized. With the Olympic Games on the way, I’m strongly considering the first week of Aug. However, I’m probably getting a new client soon, might need to be ready for them then!

3 Likes

Morning all

3 Likes

Yello

4 Likes

Oh, hey there!

:grinning::wave:t2:

3 Likes

O Ai everyone.

4 Likes

I need a new kettle and I have questions:

• does it matter if I get a stove-top kettle, or an electric kettle, does the electrical consumption vary much?

Stove-top kettle on a gas stove = 0 electricity used :wink:

3 Likes

I got a new kettle last week (old one started leaking through the sight glass). It’s 1.8kW, I think you get 2.2kW ones also. It boils in about 5 mins. That’s about 0.15kWh.

Stove top kettles could come as electric as well. Power usage would depend on what the element of your plate draws.

Gas takes longer to boil.

1 Like

Yeah, we use a stove-top kettle on an induction stove. But thanks for the feedback and info, I’ll adust my new kettle search and factor this info into account.

2 Likes

Ah induction, I believe that is actually more efficient.

2 Likes

It is - a conventional element works by electrical energy heating up the element, which then heats up a block of steel through heat conduction, which then heats up the kettle through heat conduction. The trouble is A) that the block of steel holds a bunch of heat energy, which will have to dissipate into the air after boiling the water, or boil the water more than necessary, and B) that if your kettle is smaller than the block of steel, some energy heats up the air around the kettle. The kettle finally heats up the water.

In an induction stove’s case, the electricity energizes the induction coil, which has a little efficiency loss, which then heats up the kettle directly, which then heats up the water. Less intermediate steps involved, less heat lost around the sides of the kettle.

In a conventional, plug it into the wall type kettle, the element lies in the water. All heat generated by the element goes into heating the water. The only losses are efficiency losses of the electrical element, and heat dissipated through the sides of the kettle to the ambient atmosphere. Most electrically effective, imo, but not enough to go and buy a kettle if you’ve got one working on the induction stove.

3 Likes

I love this approach. You can easily look under your electrical kettle to get the wattage, time how long it takes to boil a liter of water, and calculate the kWh/l usage.

Do the same for the stove top to compare! The volume of water is important, so @czc needs to tell us the volume of water in his kettle for 5 mins of boiling, I’m guessing 1.8 liters. Put 1 liter of water in the induction stove kettle, start a timer, and turn that bad boy on. While you’re waiting, google your induction stove’s model number to get it’s wattage rating. Typically different plates on the stove top has different power ratings. When the water starts boiling, stop the timer.

kWh/l = ( [Power rating in kW] * [Time to boil in minutes] )
/
([60 minutes per hour] * [Liters of water boiled])

I’m gonna go make coffee and report back.

EDIT:

2.2 kW, 2 mins 30, and a smidge under 1 liter. 0.09 kWh.

3 Likes

Achievement Unlocked: Kettle Benchmarking Completed!

4 Likes

Thanks so much for this, very informative and well over my level of understanding. But appreciated nonetheless.

2 Likes

Morning all

2 Likes

Hello.

I need a break.

3 Likes

Hello, hello.

:grinning::wave:t2:

2 Likes

4 meter long and 2 meter deep trench dug through the middle of our yard. They are going to extend it by another 6 meters long today, trying to find all the broken asbestos water pipes. Oh and yes, no water for us for a few days.

1 Like

It still amazes me how many people and places still have this reliance, or simply in place.

Must be a schlep for you and I hope that you have it resolved as quickly as possible.

2 Likes